SILVERSEA: Pre_Cruise Service is Very Bad!

theotherKennyB

I booked a cruise , our first cruise ever, on the Dawn for July 22 to Norway.  I called my "cruise consultant" and asked him some basic questions about the ship and he really didn't know anything at all.  I was really surprised.  You would never accept this level of service from a nice hotel or restaurant.  He didn't now if embarkation was first come first serve or timed, he didn't know anything about the Silver Note and whether or not it was only open for dinner guest or if you could just show up and listen to music after having dinner somewhere else.  I asked him to email me copies of the menus and a daily chronicle so I could get a sense of what happens daily on a ship and he said he would, that was over a week ago. I have since sent him a second email with the same request and have not heard back from him.  I called the reservation number and asked the person who answered about it and he said he would instruct my "consultant" to call me  -- that was one week ago and nothing.  I also wanted to pay in full for my cruise now and said that in my email of last week and this week and have heard nothing.  How do you pay for your cruise if the cruise line won't call you back???

• Haha 1

It depends how long ago you booked directly - usually if it’s within a month you can transfer it to a TA and still get benefits from them

You can still transfer later than that and a TA may take it on recognising your future business relationship and opportunity 

This board is a good resource to answer your questions, too.  So, if you are still looking for answers:

1.  Even the best in-house cruise consultant may not know about boarding procedures at the many embarkation ports - what port are you leaving from?  They vary a lot.

2.  At the Silver Note, they do have a very nice bar with seats and you can sit there and enjoy the music.  If there are open tables at that time, the Maitre 'D can move you to a table.  On my last cruise, there were quite a few open tables around 9 pm.

3.  Menu's and daily chronicles are not generally available (although you are not the first to ask).  Sometimes a fellow poster will post a copy, but of course what will be there for you will be different.

The fact that your consultant hasnt called back and even taken your payment is indeed a problem.  The book-on-line process is new and yours is the first reservation I have seen on this board where it's actually been completed so I hope you will keep us informed on the progress and best of luck.  I imagine you did not intend to be in the "guinea pig" cohort!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your booking challenges.  We have used a good independant TA for our last two dozen cruises on Silversea and get outstanding service pre, during and post cruise.  Good luck in resolving your booking challenge.

Thank you @dawntrdr for you thoughtful and helpful response.  I am surprised.  The booking online was a breeze and they sent me the contract and it was all very smooth.  I paid my deposit with the booking, but I haven't been able to pay the big payment yet because this guy want call or email me back.  

• Like 1

Thanks @drron29 I just looked at your post and it was very helpful.  We have never cruised before and so a copy of a daily chronicle with just what happens on a ship throughout the day would be lovely.  Also, we are thinking of taking a second cruise the day after we get off this boat with the new Explora Journey, which look fascinating.  Anybody have any thoughts?  Thank you all so much!

We've used a good TA on all of our cruises after having problems booking on our first cruise directly through a cruise line. Since that first problem, we've booked on a number of cruise lines, all on ships less than 1000 passengers, and we haven't had a problem finding answers from our TA. Build a relationship with a good TA, and your problems will be solved.

• Like 1

Since we can't give you any information (or hints) about the TAs we use, you will have to find one to try out for this cruise on your own.  But once on board, ask your fellow cruisers – it's a nice non-controversial topic and those who love their TA will be happy to share the info with you.

19 minutes ago, Kalscruise said:

Stickman1990- What type of incentives should a TA be offering me?

It will vary between Travel Agents

Some will offer OBC or Cash rebates of varying degrees - these are effectively a discount on the cruise except typically made available after the cruise has been completed 

Others may offer specific incentives like a free shore excursion or alcohol onboard 

2 minutes ago, Kalscruise said:

Since Silverseas comes with shore excursions and alcohol already... I could expect a rebate after the cruise?   I've already booked and plan on going no matter what... but that would be a fun 'bonus' if it happens!

Not all with provide a cash type rebate - sims will provide it as a non refundable OBC

Rest assured there are many other ways to spend on board credits eg spa or specialty dining or fine wines and spirits to name a few 

16 hours ago, theotherKennyB said:

Also, we are thinking of taking a second cruise the day after we get off this boat with the new Explora Journey, which look fascinating.  Anybody have any thoughts?  Thank you all so much!

Cruise Critic exists for answering your questions when the in house travel associates cannot.

It takes time to find the right travel agent.  What works fine for some will possibly fail when it is your turn.   I'm living the experience today, and really should have known better.  You have received the best advice......listen to your fellow passengers for guidance.

We're booked on Explora during 4th quarter this year.   I have blind faith that this company will provide a superior product than what we have been having with SB and SS. 

• Like 1

I booked with my TA who has always been able to get us nice perks at hotels... but this is all inclusive so I wasn't expecting anything... Ill just let it be a surprise!

and does anyone know if there are group bonus's..I saw something somewhere about 4 or more rooms or 8 people.  We have others who are interested in coming along on the voyage.

I’m all in favor of using an experienced TA, too but the OP’s concerns are quite valid.  Whether it was he or his TA asking the simple questions the info should be readily provided by the SS consultant.  What a turn-off for a new customer willing to spend thousands on a so-called upscale vacation.

• Like 1

We've had our last SS cruise, in the main because of the incomptence of the UK office and the PCC.

Similar issues. The PCC would not answer emails and when telephoned - in exasperation - was prone to giving misleading and/or incorrect information. She also 'forgot' to send embarkation documents. 

I wish there was a way to rate personal cruise consultants.  All of the ones I have had have been good or very good.  I had one for a short while that seemed a little shaky but they disappeared soon after we completed the early booking process and I suddenly had a new one assigned.