Independence of the Seas -- do they still have Grease?

SherriZ366

16 hours ago, poocher said:

I have issues with a show that teaches young girls that sluts get the guys.  Don’t even get me started about the song lyrics.

You're not wrong, but 

- I'm 56 years old and not overly susceptible to such messages. 

- As the mother of two daughters, I was never against them seeing movies with such negative messages -- but we talked about the message and used them as "teachable moments".  It didn't take long for my girls to become quite discerning of media.  After talking about Ariel's choices in Disney's Little Mermaid, they were quite appalled at giving up such an important thing for a man she'd never even spoken to.  They became quick to pick up on positive female characters -- big Hermione Granger fans in this house.  

- I'd add two points to your comment:  First, it's not nearly such a big deal, but Danny changed for Sandy too -- he joined the track team (a wholesome high school activity) and earned a letterman's jacket.  Second, Danny doesn't seem to be all that great a prize.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

43 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You're not wrong, but 

- I'm 56 years old and not overly susceptible to such messages. 

- As the mother of two daughters, I was never against them seeing movies with such negative messages -- but we talked about the message and used them as "teachable moments".  It didn't take long for my girls to become quite discerning of media.  After talking about Ariel's choices in Disney's Little Mermaid, they were quite appalled at giving up such an important thing for a man she'd never even spoken to.  They became quick to pick up on positive female characters -- big Hermione Granger fans in this house.  

- I'd add two points to your comment:  First, it's not nearly such a big deal, but Danny changed for Sandy too -- he joined the track team (a wholesome high school activity) and earned a letterman's jacket.  Second, Danny doesn't seem to be all that great a prize.  

You’re right in that he did change for her but he did not have to continue being a different person, he tossed the letter sweater and went back to his leather jacket bad boy persona. 

Grease never bothered me until I had a granddaughter, now I feel like I am seeing it through her eyes and I don’t enjoy it as much.

Sherri🙂

37 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

You’re right in that he did change for her but he did not have to continue being a different person, he tossed the letter sweater and went back to his leather jacket bad boy persona. 

Grease never bothered me until I had a granddaughter, now I feel like I am seeing it through her eyes and I don’t enjoy it as much.

Sherri🙂

OMG watch the garbage on TV and movies/songs/video games these days.  Those musicals are super innocent compared to the crap out there today.

• Like 2