Uniworld Brilliant Bordeaux on PBS

Roz

I received an email from Uniworld informing me of the following:

Travels with Darley: Bordeaux, France Wine & History
Airing February 13, 2023

Travels with Darley: Bordeaux, France Markets & Villages
Airing February 20, 2023

The email says to check your local listings.  The ship is the S.S. Bon Voyage.

Th

I'm interested in this, since we're planning to take that cruise.  From what I see it's on the PBS Create channel, secondary to the main PBS channel in most areas, and generally not carried by the satellite services, which is what we have, or the PBS Passport app for streaming.  Aha, searching a little more and I find that the Bordeaux Markets & Villages episode is showing on the main New Hampshire PBS channel, which we get, on the morning of Feb. 18.  Google pbs create streaming and it appears that some PBS stations have a live stream of the Create channel, so find out if these episodes will show and they'll be available to watch as they're broadcast.  YouTube appears to have 1-minute promos, and Amazon Prime has earlier seasons for a price; this is Season 10.  With some searching, you may be able to find it on a channel you get.

26 minutes ago, rove312 said:

I'm interested in this, since we're planning to take that cruise.  From what I see it's on the PBS Create channel, secondary to the main PBS channel in most areas, and generally not carried by the satellite services, which is what we have, or the PBS Passport app for streaming.  Aha, searching a little more and I find that the Bordeaux Markets & Villages episode is showing on the main New Hampshire PBS channel, which we get, on the morning of Feb. 18.  Google pbs create streaming and it appears that some PBS stations have a live stream of the Create channel, so find out if these episodes will show and they'll be available to watch as they're broadcast.  YouTube appears to have 1-minute promos, and Amazon Prime has earlier seasons for a price; this is Season 10.  With some searching, you may be able to find it on a channel you get.

Wow.  This is not the public broadcasting experience I would expect.  Nerds only need apply? 😉 

PS – no disrespect intended:  I'm a nerd and proud of it!  But before jumping through these hoops (or contributing for another tote bag...) I would look for a BitTorrent way to get the episode – without commercials!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the second Darley Bordeaux episode, which doesn't have that much about the cruise itself.  On YouTube I found a set of videos saying more about it: part 1 of the cruise:

followed by part 2, with another that's a tour of the ship.  I understand it's from 2021 and has differences from what to expect this year; it shows more of a COVID effect and has the stops in a different order.

• Like 1

To complete this topic, I found the recent Travels with Darley episodes at https://journy.tv/watch/travels-with-darley/ and the first Bordeaux episode at https://journy.tv/watch/travels-with-darley/bordeaux-france-wine-history/ .  Again next to nothing about the cruise--for that, better to see the Travel With Us shows from the YouTube link above.  I'm not a great fan of Darley as a host, but there are some nice views of Bordeaux and tips on local pastries.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 7:28 PM, rove312 said:

I saw the second Darley Bordeaux episode, which doesn't have that much about the cruise itself.  On YouTube I found a set of videos saying more about it: part 1 of the cruise:

followed by part 2, with another that's a tour of the ship.  I understand it's from 2021 and has differences from what to expect this year; it shows more of a COVID effect and has the stops in a different order.

Thank you  for this. I was disappointed that the PBS show did not show the ship. This is the first Uniworld ship I've seen with decor I could live with, absolutely beautiful in my opinion. I hope I can forget this when I'm on my Viking Bordeaux cruise next month! LOL

• 2 months later...

We were on this cruise the last week of April, and I was going to report a few things about it, but I've had distractions since then. We enjoyed it a lot, and after previously taking Uniworld's Nuremberg-Amsterdam cruise, these are the main things that come to mind:

On the Germany cruise, my wife found that sailing during the night helped her sleep; on this cruise of short distances with no locks, we were usually docked at night and that wasn't so good for her.

I remember that, on this board, someone asked where the overnight stops were on this cruise.  On the Germany cruise, the ship usually departed around dinnertime and sailed overnight.  On the Bordeaux cruise, it was more likely docked overnight so there would be the option to dine at a local restaurant rather than onboard.  It isn't clear from the published schedule where the stops are so, for example, after going to Cadillac on Day 2, it spent the night at Bordeaux again (not published on the site) I think the main purpose being so that Can Can dancers could board for an onboard performance.  Cadillac was not a town we toured; it was just a place to board bus tours.  Bourg was only a stop of a few hours for a walking tour before the ship proceeded to Libourne to spend the night.

The Germany cruise only had one optional tour at a higher price; this had more but at least two of them were undersubscribed and didn't happen.  I took my wife's place for a cooking class: a nice enough memory, although I don't much cook, and they emailed the recipes afterwards.  This was on the St-Emilion day, when the cruise doesn't provide lunch, but my wife stayed onboard and they offered to deliver a meal.

I have a practical emphasis and those are my main recollections, but feel free to ask more.

• Thanks 1