If I buy Princess Plus on the ship, is it slightly cheaper than before the cruise?

Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

For those who get on the ship this weekend - let me know how things go with buying Plus (is it $60 a day total - no additional fees) and also can you use OBC?

Thanks!

I am curious about this also.

You can buy various packages on the ship.   The Plus Beverage Package  on board is $60 per day plus 18% gratuity and it only includes beverages. 

here are the packages available:

637FE6BC-5E3B-4DDF-999E-045F2EDD11FE.thumb.png.e91fb49be3d89cb1bb43bf31b785e6f1.png

Premier Beverage Package is $79.99 + 18% = $94.39 per day  

C0430839-8D3E-40DE-8BDC-68B1BF35021B.thumb.png.2ed04508583737438dc8913f9e04dedd.png

Plus is $59.99+18%= $70.79 per day.

DF142099-10F3-4142-85F5-3A82B953D516.thumb.jpeg.9d2a7417a9f0c4a16f0436195094fa6a.jpeg

Edited by Shelly97060
This info is beverage packages only, Information on upgrading to Plu and Premier

12 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

You can buy various packages on the ship but they are NOT cheaper than buying before you board.  The Plus on board is $60 per day plus 18% gratuity and it only includes beverages. 

here are the packages available:

637FE6BC-5E3B-4DDF-999E-045F2EDD11FE.thumb.png.e91fb49be3d89cb1bb43bf31b785e6f1.png

premier is $79.99 +18% = $94.39 per day

C0430839-8D3E-40DE-8BDC-68B1BF35021B.thumb.png.2ed04508583737438dc8913f9e04dedd.png

Plus is $59.99+18%= $70.79 per day.

DF142099-10F3-4142-85F5-3A82B953D516.thumb.jpeg.9d2a7417a9f0c4a16f0436195094fa6a.jpeg

That is not the regular Princess Plus. That is the Plus beverage package.  

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Just got to our stateroom and found this info showing Plus at $60 per day and Premier at $80. Sorry for the earlier beverage package post, I hadn’t seen this info yet! 

Thank you!image.thumb.jpeg.3f1cecffd5aa25831bd2d129f1ef7490.jpeg

Edited by Coral

@MsSoCalCruiser  here are the various beverage package prices on Discovery Princess today:

coffee package is $31 +18% gratuities 

classic soda package is $11.79 per day (including gratuities)

Coffee and soda package is $23.59 per day ( including gratuities)

Premier is $94.39 per day ( including gratuities)

Plus is $70.79 per day (including gratuities )

Also in our stateroom there was information about upgrading to the full Plus package for $60 per day or full Premier for $80 per day.  “Upgrade in the app or see any crew member”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Also in our stateroom there was information about upgrading to the full Plus package for $60 per day or full Premier for $80 per day.  “Upgrade in the app or see any crew member”.

Hoping Plus package is straight $60/day and doesn't include any additional charges.

Makes Plus and Premier drink packages seem silly and should be discontinued?

Thanks for the live report!

11 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

@MsSoCalCruiser  here are the various beverage package prices on Discovery Princess today:

coffee package is $31 +18% gratuities 

classic soda package is $11.79 per day (including gratuities)

Coffee and soda package is $23.59 per day ( including gratuities)

Premier is $94.39 per day ( including gratuities)

Plus is $70.79 per day (including gratuities )

Thank you so much!  You are on my favorite ship.  I love the blue walking track up by the basketball court.  It’s probably pretty cold up there today.  Enjoy your cruise!  

30 minutes ago, Coral said:

Thank you!image.thumb.jpeg.3f1cecffd5aa25831bd2d129f1ef7490.jpeg

Does it say somewhere if both people in the cabin need to purchase the package? My spouse doesn’t use internet or drink alcohol.  So…if it could be purchased for just one person, that would be a decent price, instead of both of us needing to purchase it at booking time. 

1 hour ago, Shelly97060 said:

@Happiest when cruising It doesn’t say first 2 in cabin need to purchase but I attended a briefing yesterday for guests staying on board for B2B and asked and officer said that first 2 needed to purchase. 

55 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

@Coral thanks for flipping the picture. I couldn’t figure out how to get it the correct orientation! Good teamwork! 

1 hour ago, Shelly97060 said:

@Happiest when cruising It doesn’t say first 2 in cabin need to purchase but I attended a briefing yesterday for guests staying on board for B2B and asked and officer said that first 2 needed to purchase. 

The flip was great…and thanks  for the information about who has to purchase it. I guess people would really be up in arms if they let only one person purchase it. 

Am I reading this correctly?  If I purchase the Plus package ahead of time it will cost me $60/day which includes the 18% gratuity on drinks.  If I purchase the Plus package on the ship 1st day it will cost me $60/day + taxes?  I was going to wait and use OBC but not if it cost me more.

41 minutes ago, jtcoolk said:

Am I reading this correctly?  If I purchase the Plus package ahead of time it will cost me $60/day which includes the 18% gratuity on drinks.  If I purchase the Plus package on the ship 1st day it will cost me $60/day + taxes?  I was going to wait and use OBC but not if it cost me more.

Looking at post 63, the card in cabin does not show anything on top of $60. In my case for 12 day cruise Plus would cot too much at $60 = $1440. I have $610 OBC so plus effectively $830. Possibly more than if we went a-la-carte, but convenience is a tie breaker, so I will buy Plus. I will also pay for Specialty Dining instead of using OBC. I think many people will be in similar circumstance. Possibly PAX with less OBC will still buy package on first day to use what ever OBC as a discount, so could be a win for Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I completely understand the Princess Plus package (including Drinks, Wifi, tips) vs the Princess plus beverage pkg.  My question is:

If I am a solo in a room and want to purchase the package with all included the first day on the ship,

do I have to purchase two even tho I am the only one in my cabin on my reservation.

If someone on board now could be so kind to inquire about this I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you.  I am looking at a cruise in April.

3 minutes ago, newdesert_girl said:

I completely understand the Princess Plus package (including Drinks, Wifi, tips) vs the Princess plus beverage pkg.  My question is:

If I am a solo in a room and want to purchase the package with all included the first day on the ship,

do I have to purchase two even tho I am the only one in my cabin on my reservation.

If someone on board now could be so kind to inquire about this I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you.  I am looking at a cruise in April.

I am not on the ship - but I doubt you will need to buy 2.

For example - when you book with Plus, both have to book but when you book a single cabin, you don't pay 2x for Plus.

Even now - if I go to buy Plus in the Personalizer, it is $60 per day plus the cost of increased insurance.

The reason both have to buy it is so it is not shared.

I’ve seen it back and forth but is there 100% confirmation on using OBC. CA costal cruise in march I have a large chunk of obc so would be going straight to passenger services when we board to upgrade and use the OBC as discount

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

I’ve seen it back and forth but is there 100% confirmation on using OBC. CA costal cruise in march I have a large chunk of obc so would be going straight to passenger services when we board to upgrade and use the OBC as discount

Apparently, you can do it at any bar and via Medallion App, might be easier than PSD on first day.

2 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Apparently, you can do it at any bar and via Medallion App, might be easier than PSD on first day.

As long as the app actually works and picks up the upgrade to plus for me and my fiancé. Sounds like then they are just billing the Plus upgrade to the room as a standard charge 

On 2/12/2023 at 6:41 PM, Coral said:

The website says:

Selected Upgrade

• If applicable, your Future Cruise Credit deductions and Princess Vacation Protection increase have been automatically applied.
  • In some circumstances, package upgrades may increase your cruise fare. Please review your remaining balance on the Payment page or contact your travel advisor.

------

Thus - I was thinking it was increasing the cost of insurance as it increases the cost of cruise fare and that will increase cost of insurance.

I could be wrong. The numbers don't make sense if I add 18% off the total amount, unless they are only doing a portion on the drink part.

This potential increased insurance question definitely got us thinking. Not sure what happens when you actually use the Personalizer to "upgrade" an existing booking to include the Princess Plus Package. However, I was curious if the Princess Platinum insurance cost would increase if we initially booked a cruise with Princess Plus rather than the Princess Standard package, as that would definitely cause us to rethink adding the Plus package when we book our future cruises.

To resolve that question, I did a mock booking on a 32-day RT Tahiti cruise, where there would definitely be a noticeable increase. First, I used the Standard "no frills" package at $13,247 pp and then with the Plus package at $15,167 pp. The Platinum insurance rate stayed the same at $1,059 pp.

So for us we'll stick with initially booking the Plus package, if it makes economic sense to do so, as we usually use up all of our Princess (Military, FCD and SHB) OBC prebooking excursions. Now, if later on, we find out this is not the case, we will definitely have to rethink our booking strategy.