My opinion on Beyond--Infinity Verandah

mizLORInj

On 2/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, terrydtx said:

Celebrity will never know or admit to how many more would have booked on these Beautifull new ships if they had traditional balconies? People who love them would have still booked while people who hate them go elsewhere.

It still amazes me that Celebrity committed to a design of a new class of ships that virtually eliminated the most common type of cabin without fully realizing that a lot of there customers wouldn’t like the veranda design.  Design features that are so polarizing should not be implemented because they will lose a lot of their customer base.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Wow this was easy to find , a 5 th ship was order in 2019 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3986/

Edge has 6% suite the 5th to have 12%

https://aspiretravelclub.co.uk/news/celebrity-cruises-considers-adding-more-suites-to-fifth-edge-class-vessel

I am somewhat skeptical since the CC article is from 2019 and pre covid, may be outdated as I cannot find on any more current news that the 5th ship is actually under construction. Even more current (last Sept) CC news about future ships under construction fails to show this 5th E Class ship under construction between now and 2025.

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

I am somewhat skeptical since the CC article is from 2019 and pre covid, may be outdated as I cannot find on any more current news that the 5th ship is actually under construction. Even more current (last Sept) CC news about future ships under construction fails to show this 5th E Class ship under construction between now and 2025.

We can hope you’re correct.

36 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Edge has 6% suite the 5th to have 12%

So much for exclusivity.  If this ratio of suites on the 5th Edge-class ship turns out to be the case, then that could mean one expansive and crowded Luminae.  I am becoming more and more grateful for my MSC Seascape Yacht Club booking.  Only 130 suites in the Seascape Yacht Club.

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

So much for exclusivity.  If this ratio of suites on the 5th Edge-class ship turns out to be the case, then that could mean one expansive and crowded Luminae.  I am becoming more and more grateful for my MSC Seascape Yacht Club booking.  Only 130 suites in the Seascape Yacht Club.

Even on Edge I didn't like sailing in the Retreat because there were too many Suites. Luminae was already too expansive and crowded.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, mizLORInj said:

When the window is open and you're in the Caribbean, of course the a/c shuts off, and it got very warm in the cabin.  

Again, if you close the accordion doors to the room while the infinite verandah is open, the room AC stays on. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Again, if you close the accordion doors to the room while the infinite verandah is open, the room AC stays on. 

FALSE INFORMATION. I have been on all 3 E-class ships in an IV cabin and that is 100% incorrect. The bifold doors do not have any sensors. The sensors that turn the AC on and off are in the window. Please stop spreading lies. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Absolutely false and misleading. The open window triggers the sensors that turn on and off the cabins AC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

FALSE INFORMATION. I have been on all 3 E-class ships in an IV cabin and that is 100% incorrect. The bifold doors do not have any sensors. The sensors that turn the AC on and off are in the window. Please stop spreading lies. 

I agree and the poster obviously has never been in an IV cabin on an E Class ship. 

• Like 1

As far as I am concerned you can add no forward facing lounge to

infinity verandah cabins as a really strange design innovation

which has been widely criticised and has led to many people on

these boards opting for holidays on The Millennium and Solstice 

Class ships.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

We tried that.   A/C did not go back on, and the cabin remained hot until we closed the window and the shade.   Then we heard the a/c go on.   

1 hour ago, mizLORInj said:

We tried that.   A/C did not go back on, and the cabin remained hot until we closed the window and the shade.   Then we heard the a/c go on.   

That is exactly how it works in IV cabins. On our Edge cruise in 2019 from FLL when we opened the window, the AC would shut off and the cabin would get so hot in just a few minutes. When we closed the window, it would take at least 30 minutes to cool the cabin back down.  We complained to guest services as we thought something was wrong and it was explained to us that when the window was open the AC shuts off to conserve energy.  That was our one and done with any IV cabin and now we only book Sky Suites with real balconies.  Some here on CC like to give out false information on the IV cabins.

The IV is the reason I've avoided the Edge class. I've never cruised without a balcony and I spend quite a bit of time out there. From morning coffee, a beverage or two while the wife is getting ready for dinner, and a cup of team before retiring for the night....I like the fresh air and the tranquility that you can get on your balcony (unlike the pool deck which I usually avoid at all costs because of the overcrowding). Unfortunately everything else about the Edge class ships look amazing! I think I may finally take the plunge next year and try it out with either one of the circular "balcony" cabins or splurge and try to get a wake view balcony (Retreat really isn't in the budget right now)...

3 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Well, I can't tell you to contact maintenance to fix if you're no longer onboard  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, the AC/heat is designed to stay on if the accordion doors are closed... if it doesn't, something is broken. This was clearly noted when we sailed in an infinite verandah... there was a sign that said "close the doors to keep the AC on" or something similar. 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

That is exactly how it works in IV cabins. On our Edge cruise in 2019 from FLL when we opened the window, the AC would shut off and the cabin would get so hot in just a few minutes. When we closed the window, it would take at least 30 minutes to cool the cabin back down.  We complained to guest services as we thought something was wrong and it was explained to us that when the window was open the AC shuts off to conserve energy.  That was our one and done with any IV cabin and now we only book Sky Suites with real balconies.  Some here on CC like to give out false information on the IV cabins.

I will reiterate this until I drop dead: there is no way you went to guest services and they didn't tell you to just close the accordion doors to keep the AC on. If the heating or cooling doesn't function when the accordion doors are closed, it's a maintenance issue or user error... not how the stateroom is designed to work.

I sailed the Edge in Europe in 2019 during the heat wave, and they were repeatedly reminding us to close the accordion doors to keep the HVAC on in the room. These cabins would not be usable without that functionality. Imagine being in Alaska and not having the heat stay on in the room every time someone opened their verandah?! 

We were on Beyond in Sept also in a IV room - still have not made up my mind.   When the window is closed, it does add air conditioned space to the room.  In fact on several sea days it rained like heck and we could still sit on our "balcony" with window closed.  However, really did miss sitting in the ocean air so will admit I'm a still a bit conflicted 5 months later.  You still get to hear the ocean, but you miss the outdoors of a true balcony. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Why would I possibly lie about this? If I wanted to troll people on Cruise Critic, I would start topics about how the buffet is horrible, or room service fees.