Allure of the Seas Galveston debarkation question

TonyaJune

21 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

An 11 AM flight out of Hobby *HOU) is doable with self disembarkation (40 miles).  Would not recommend for Intercontinental Airport as it is at least 1-1/2 hours travel time (70 miles) and on the north side of Houston.

@Galveston Cruiser A related question you may be able to help on. Any suggestions for a shuttle service from IAH to Galveston for pre-cruise hotel stay (Home2Suites on Seawall)?  Take Uber or Lyft? 

Will use RC's transfer for post-cruise transportation and early evening flight. Thanks much!

6 hours ago, long4acruise said:

@Galveston Cruiser A related question you may be able to help on. Any suggestions for a shuttle service from IAH to Galveston for pre-cruise hotel stay (Home2Suites on Seawall)?  Take Uber or Lyft? 

Will use RC's transfer for post-cruise transportation and early evening flight. Thanks much!

:

Saltwater Moms (through FB) - We use to/from airport when sailing from other ports

Galveston Limo

Uber/Lyft

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, long4acruise said:

Galveston Express

• Thanks 1

What time does self-disembarkation and regular disembarkation usually start?  This is for a cruise on Allure in August.  I’m trying to arrange post-cruise transportation. I wasn’t sure if 8:30 or 9 is doable (we have early afternoon flights out of Hobby).

People have reported that ride shares from Allure have been hard to get and that they took a lot of time with long waits outside the terminal.   

We got off in the 5-10 group last week.  Right after self debark.  Parked in the north lot and we got to our car at 8:45.  We passed the exit to Bush International around 1000 and it’s still another 15 or 20 minutes from there. 

Personally I’d not try to get a flight before 1 p.m. at Bush.  For Hobby the earliest I’d try would be 11 and I’d be nervous on that ride share.

Edited by cruiselvr04

Uber /Cabs are really difficult to get. Took over an hour to get an uber and was very expensive due to their demand based pricing which increases cost based on demand.

With six thousand getting off this ship all at one time plus whatever other ship is in town finding transportation is close to impossible.  

9 hours ago, Jam0610 said:

We just returned on the Adventure of the Seas this week. Ship had a problem with the computers and ran about an hour behind in disembarking times.

I would be careful. This time of year fog can cause delays in Galveston.

When I booked private transportation from the port back to the airport for our April cruise, I asked the representative about what would happen if the ship arrived into the port late, specifically for fog. He told me that the ships don't come in late for fog any more - that when fog is expected, they bring the ships in at midnight. (but then he was kind enough to go through the steps for what would happen with our transportation if we did come in late for any other reason, like a medical emergency that delays us, or like the computer issue you mention). 

I don't live there or follow the ship's schedules, so cannot verify on my own, but thought it was interesting info from a shuttle company who is there all the time. He said normally, everyone is off the ship by 10am (even though the schedules I've seen have disembarkation up through 10:30am). Our earliest check in time is 11am on Allure.

18 hours ago, slyster said:

Anyone know what time Allure usually docks and clears customs?

RCI is pretty good at docking at the time listed on the itinerary and for Allure from Galveston it is usually 7 AM - so figure being able to walk off sometime after 7:30AM.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

RCI is pretty good at docking at the time listed on the itinerary and for Allure from Galveston it is usually 7 AM - so figure being able to walk off sometime after 7:30AM.

Thank you.  I don't cruise enough to know how soon self-disembarkation typically starts so thanks for that.  How soon after self disembarkation do they start calling group numbers?

The first group numbers called on Allure was 8:30 on February 12th. Prior to this was self debark, key, suites and pinnacles only.  

They have the luggage for the higher numbers blocked off until they are announced.  So people with higher numbers had gotten off the ship and were waiting in a holding area with chairs because they would not let them get their suitcases.  We got off in the 5-10 group and luggage was being held for anyone with numbers above about 20.  In other words you couldn’t have number 67 and think you could get off and get your bags at 8:30.  You’d be waiting then in the warehouse terminal. 

1 hour ago, slyster said:

Thank you.  I don't cruise enough to know how soon self-disembarkation typically starts so thanks for that.  How soon after self disembarkation do they start calling group numbers?

Sorry.  I meant to quote you with the above post.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Ships actually dock anytime after midnight; typically around 5 AM.  ICE must clear the ship prior to anyone disembarking.  There have been instances when ICE is late.

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The first group numbers called on Allure was 8:30 on February 12th. Prior to this was self debark, key, suites and pinnacles only.  

They have the luggage for the higher numbers blocked off until they are announced.  So people with higher numbers had gotten off the ship and were waiting in a holding area with chairs because they would not let them get their suitcases.  We got off in the 5-10 group and luggage was being held for anyone with numbers above about 20.  In other words you couldn’t have number 67 and think you could get off and get your bags at 8:30.  You’d be waiting then in the warehouse terminal. 

Thanks...I know how the process works.  I just couldn't remember how long it all took.  Do you remember when they started allowing folks to disembark?  

22 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

When I booked private transportation from the port back to the airport for our April cruise, I asked the representative about what would happen if the ship arrived into the port late, specifically for fog. He told me that the ships don't come in late for fog any more - that when fog is expected, they bring the ships in at midnight. (but then he was kind enough to go through the steps for what would happen with our transportation if we did come in late for any other reason, like a medical emergency that delays us, or like the computer issue you mention). 

I don't live there or follow the ship's schedules, so cannot verify on my own, but thought it was interesting info from a shuttle company who is there all the time. He said normally, everyone is off the ship by 10am (even though the schedules I've seen have disembarkation up through 10:30am). Our earliest check in time is 11am on Allure.

I have yet to sail in the Allure, but we have done several B2B cruises on the Adventure, Liberty and Grandeur, all out of Galveston. As soon as the guest count goes to 0, they can start processing the Back-2-Backers. It usually happens @ 10:00 -10:15.  With the new terminal, even this process has been streamlined and shortened to 10 minutes or less, whatever it takes to disembark, go back to the customs camera, and scan the new Seapass card to get back on the ship. 

Edited by sushitex

28 minutes ago, slyster said:

Thanks...I know how the process works.  I just couldn't remember how long it all took.  Do you remember when they started allowing folks to disembark?  

Sometimes as early as 7:30.

However, no one is allowed off until ICE clears the ship. They can be early but we have also known them to board at 8 AM.

• Like 1