Number of Drinks

Buckeyefrank100

My wife and I are excited to be going on the Meraviglia in a couple weeks.  I am leaning heavily to getting the drink package for us.  I know each line handles the purchasing or ordering of drinks differently but how many drinks (on the drink plan) can I get at one time?  Could I get 2 drinks on my card at one time?  NCL will generally allow this.  Also if I take my wife's card to get her a drink, would they honor that or does she need to be within eyesight?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

On paper, it's one drink per transaction. I know that NCL has gone back and forth with the "1 drink per vs. 2 drinks per..." in their terms but in reality, 2 drinks per transaction is not a big deal. If needed, the bartender can just swipe the card twice. 

Appreciate that.  From all the reports of difficulty getting drinks at times, I'd like to be able to get a couple to take to my balcony in the evening and not have to worry about leaving every 30 minutes, and then waiting 30 minutes..

You are not on NCL.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions for the drink packages that specifically state one drink per transaction.

MSC is known for following its written terms and conditions.  Currently, MSC is working to control the booze cruise passengers that have been attracted to MSC because of the line's well controlled fare  pricing and unlimited drink packages.

I would expect all T&C for the drink packages to be enforced.

• Like 1

Never an issue ordering 2 drinks with another cruiser’s card along with my own. The other person doesn’t need to be in sight.

Funnily enough I’ve never ordered 2 drinks for myself at one time. I’m guessing it’s a T&C violation and some crew may turn a blind eye.

Most cruise lines can and will cancel a drink package for abuse. Over drinking or buying drinks and giving them to someone else are two examples.

On MSC, the Easy + package includes specialty coffees and bottled waters. I usually have a couple of Cafe Americanos in the morning, multiple club sodas / waters during the day, along with 2-3 beers, 2 glasses of wine and maybe a nightcap. So generally break even on costs. I recommend it.

It seems to depend on the bartender or server. On my cruise in January, a gentleman with the drink package ordered drinks for 6-7 people at a time in some of the bars on multiple occasions with no issues using only his card. He attempted to order a glass of wine at dinner for himself and one lady at the table and the server told him he could only order one glass for himself using the drink package. I observed similar differences on my cruise in October.

4 hours ago, REOVA said:

Try and order a double. The bartender may or may not oblige  but won't hurt to ask. 

When I ordered a double on Divina the bartender started pouring and said, “tell me when to stop” haha it was a good week. 

• Haha 1

What I normally do is take the two cards for the two drinks, and very quickly the servers pick up on that you and your partner both have drink packages, and they will say words to the effect of "one card is fine".   But if they don't know you yet, or if you are at a table at dinner with people outside your party, it might be different.  

• Thanks 1

May well vary by region, and particular cruises how strict they will be, we find on most lines once you have established your routine the staff know if you are likely to be a cheater and adjust, they have the information on the screens for the cabin occupants.

UK if you join bookings to sit on the same table you all have to have the same package.
once on the ship that rules seems to get dropped.

Even without a package we find there can be a level of flexibility.

with MSC Break even is on a pre cruise basis, in the UK the premium package is the one they add/discount when booking and the cost(pppd) varies by  cruise.

I am looking at some 14n  med cruises and the price of the upgrade is £190(£14) upto £560(£40) 

Seen as low as £11pppd on some trips once you factor in TA and voyager discounts. 

I had no issue getting 2 at a time with one card on Virtuosa. Only issue I had the entire trip was when I was sent to get 4 drinks and only took one card, and even then they still gave me the drinks when I apologised for forgetting the other card (can't imagine that would happen every time but it was late at night and not busy). So generally you should be OK grabbing two based on my experience, just make sure for any more than that you take at least 2 cards 🙂

22 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I think the only time it would be an issue is in the evening when I don't feel like leaving the balcony every 30 minutes to go get drinks.  Much appreciated.

Not a big in cabin drinker,  but I found for the items like beer, cans... a friendly bar server will let you take them unopened,  I collect them in the day when the bars are quieter and keep in the fridge.

On 2/14/2023 at 4:32 PM, Homosassa said:

You are not on NCL.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions for the drink packages that specifically state one drink per transaction.

MSC is known for following its written terms and conditions.  Currently, MSC is working to control the booze cruise passengers that have been attracted to MSC because of the line's well controlled fare  pricing and unlimited drink packages.

I would expect all T&C for the drink packages to be enforced.

This, exactly, congrats!...

Meanwhile; as per my experience: If you are asking on an alcoholic drink and a non alcoholic drink, the non alcoholic one will be generally offered simultaneously to your main order. Back in the day some waiters would automatically to deliver a bottle of water automatically to our orders even without asking, especially by late night time, so that we had free bottled water in cabin. If you are asking for alcoholic drinks they'll generally to be far more strict on the first 2 or 3 days of your cruise, literally following the written rules, and then they may relax a little bit, granted you're seen as a disciplined cruiser round the ship (I believe they have a rating scheme of sorts they can access when they swipe our cards on the machines). Be nice to the crew and by middle cruise onward you'll receive some little attention.

On 2/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, bafinegan said:

I like limoncello in prosecco. The bar just charges me for 2 drinks.  Never had an issue with it.  BUT, I have never been cut off for over indulging either.... 

I usually put a splash of Aperol in prosecco. I'li have to try some lemoncello, sounds good.

On 2/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, Buckeyefrank100 said:

My wife and I are excited to be going on the Meraviglia in a couple weeks.  I am leaning heavily to getting the drink package for us.  I know each line handles the purchasing or ordering of drinks differently but how many drinks (on the drink plan) can I get at one time?  Could I get 2 drinks on my card at one time?  NCL will generally allow this.  Also if I take my wife's card to get her a drink, would they honor that or does she need to be within eyesight?

Thanks

The drink package is usually free, for us it is a no brainer to get.  you can get more than one...... Hell, last year on Meraviglia I got a 12 pack of Miller Lite brought up on deck so I could smoke cigars.

8 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

This, exactly, congrats!...

Meanwhile; as per my experience: If you are asking on an alcoholic drink and a non alcoholic drink, the non alcoholic one will be generally offered simultaneously to your main order. Back in the day some waiters would automatically to deliver a bottle of water automatically to our orders even without asking, especially by late night time, so that we had free bottled water in cabin. If you are asking for alcoholic drinks they'll generally to be far more strict on the first 2 or 3 days of your cruise, literally following the written rules, and then they may relax a little bit, granted you're seen as a disciplined cruiser round the ship (I believe they have a rating scheme of sorts they can access when they swipe our cards on the machines). Be nice to the crew and by middle cruise onward you'll receive some little attention.

I always tip a cpl dollars with every order too.  I really have ever had a problem on any cruise line with drink packages and have always had prompt service.  Yea I know extra tipping is a touchy subject but I tip because I can afford it and they work damn hard, not to get better service...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

I always tip a cpl dollars with every order too.  I really have ever had a problem on any cruise line with drink packages and have always had prompt service.  Yea I know extra tipping is a touchy subject but I tip because I can afford it and they work damn hard, not to get better service...

Tipping in MSC's context is not the main thing, once they hardly discourage it as a norm. If you want to tip extra, do that in a very discrete fashion, please. To be polite to the crew, while having a decent alcohol consumption for any reasonable human being, never presenting yourself drunken in front of them is the key there. They'll award you as much as you follow those rules. Have a nice day!...

2 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Tipping in MSC's context is not the main thing, once they hardly discourage it as a norm. If you want to tip extra, do that in a very discrete fashion, please. To be polite to the crew, while having a decent alcohol consumption for any reasonable human being, never presenting yourself drunken in front of them is the key there. They'll award you as much as you follow those rules. Have a nice day!...

Good points, Nunagoras.

cheira bem, cheira Lisboa