Select alcohol package versus Premier

REDSTRIPETYPE

So the Select alcohol package offers complimentary  wine and beer with lunch and diner and the Premier is unlimited anytime.

We are going on Regatta for 21 days with the Select package provided.

To upgrade is $30 USD pp per day which is $1260 USD ( $1688 for us Canadians)

So my question is how strict are they about getting up from the table with a fresh drink.....at the end dinner can I get my wine topped up and leave the dining room with it?

During lunch can I drink wine and get a beer with desert and walk away with the beer?

Where can I find drink prices for purchasing individual drinks?

Here’s a thought. Assuming there’s no difference in cost if you upgrade before or after embarkation, then wait until you see how things work onboard.
Don’t forget there’s an open bar during the Captain’s welcome (day after embarkation). So you’ll probably “squeek through” the first day or two while seeing what’s possible and what’s allowable. You can upgrade at any point during the cruise……

• Like 1

We are currently on the Regatta and boarded this week.

The upgrade was surprisingly $20/day.

Even though we booked a 33 day cruise (actually back to back)….they would only offer the $20 upgrade for the first segment.

We are wondering if they are now going to increase the upgrade to $30 next segment, even though we booked one cruise Fjords to Atols 33 days.

the average wine price is $11USD as is the spirit prices….plus the 18% gtatuity and then bring it to Australian dollars it’s expensive drinking.

Very happy we have the upgrade.

They are very generous with drinks….not sure why you would want to walk away with one.

Edited by roadmaster

13 minutes ago, roadmaster said:

We are currently on the Regatta and boarded this week.

The upgrade was surprisingly $20/day.

Even though we booked a 33 day cruise (actually back to back)….they would only offer the $20 upgrade for the first segment.

We are wondering if they are now going to increase the upgrade to $30 next segment, even though we booked one cruise Fjords to Atols 33 days.

the average wine price is $11USD as is the spirit prices….plus the 18% gtatuity and then bring it to Australian dollars it’s expensive drinking.

Very happy we have the upgrade.

They are very generous with drinks….not sure why you would want to walk away with one.

A bit more expensive:  20% gratuity ins the new norm.

You also get ‘fizz’ at mealtimes by the glass with beverage package. 
We upgrade because we like to drink when we want. Not always much with a meal. We don’t want to be clock watching to be ready for 2 4 1 happy hour drinks or go to a cocktail party just for free drinks! 😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As a first time Oceania Guest, one of my area's of interest, was the drink programs.  This is no surprise to many cruise guests regardless of brand.  I read lots of streams, comments and op-eds on this topic.  They usually fall into a few categories of guest needs.  They are:

1. Folks that don't drink at all.
  2. Folks that want a glass or two of wine at meals.
  3. Folks that want to drink wine, beer and spirits anytime they want.
  4. Folks that really want to drink a lot.
  5. Folks that are very analytical and do the math on buying drinks individually (Happy Hour) to choose one or the other package. 

I am of the opinion that drink packages are NOT designed to be a huge value for the money.  They are designed to be convenient. When I read folks saying you would have to drink this much to break even on a drink package, they are the Analytical type. We are on vacation, we would like to know/have control of our expenditures, a bill at the end of the cruise with lost of drinks are never welcome. When on a premium-plus/luxury brand like Oceania, if and only if you drink more then a few drinks in a given day, my preference is simply to bite the bullet and buy the Prestige Package. Again knowing I am not getting a deal, I am getting convenience.  

My point of writing this post is to give a frame of mind.  Not tell anyone else how to spend their hard earned money.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I am of the opinion that drink packages are NOT designed to be a huge value for the money.  They are designed to be convenient. When I read folks saying you would have to drink this much to break even on a drink package, they are the Analytical type. We are on vacation, we would like to know/have control of our expenditures, a bill at the end of the cruise with lost of drinks are never welcome.

Just  to add 

I can  sign my name  for the 1 or 2 drinks a day I have  so it is not a matter of convenience to buy a drink package

of course  as always

YMMV

• Like 1

Our drink of choice is gin on the rocks and our go to gins are Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire.  We each usually have a maximum of 2 doubles before dinner, so at $11/single x 1.2 (20% gratuity), our daily bar bill is typically $52.80, each. Even if we were to go with Henricks as a splurge ($14 x 1.2 = 16.80), our 2 doubles would be $67.20 per day.  Neither would exceed the premium Package cost of $69.95 per day. Since we typically go to Happy Hour and enjoy the Captain's and Return Guests parties, we don't even come close and can enjoy a beer and a glass of wine with lunch/dinner without going into package territory.

OK, we're cheap dates, but the point is that it depends on how much you drink and what the costs of your drinks are as to whether the premium package makes sense. And for us, no package makes sense.

Other than not having a bar bill on you onboard account which is automatically charged to your account at the end of the cruise,  I don't really see the convenience factor as particularly advantages, since you have to give them you card to sign or, if you have a package, to register your stateroom number (at least they are supposed to do that to get their gratuity credit).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Again knowing I am not getting a deal, I am getting convenience.  

I know what you're saying here Gary, but the same thinking can be extended to those that decide to have Oceania book their hotels. It's certainly convenient, but in no way a deal. Not something I'd ever do though. Yet I will buy a drink package. Then on the other hand I probably drink more than I should. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

I know what you're saying here Gary, but the same thinking can be extended to those that decide to have Oceania book their hotels. It's certainly convenient, but in no way a deal. Not something I'd ever do though. Yet I will buy a drink package. Then on the other hand I probably drink more than I should. 

@ORV I can also have a day or two where I just might drink more then usual, lol.  On your reference to Pre/Post Hotels done by the Cruise Brand.  I initially booked Oceania's Hotel in Athens, Greece for a pre-cruise stay.  I then went online to see if I could save a bit on the hotel.  I found out booking directly with the hotel was less.  Then I added the ground transportation from the Hotel to the Port.  It ended up very close from a cost standpoint.

I think the key is to do due diligence.  Then make the decision that is correct for the individual which is different from one to another.  On the Drink Programs, I usually take the Perk that NCL provides which is called the Premium Drink Package and upgrade to the Premium Plus Drink Package.  The trip I am on is 10 days so it is $600.00 per person or $60.00 per day using the On-Board-Credit for one seemed fair and reasonable.  Only because I perfer spirits over beer and wine.  I also want it want I want it.  Everyone is different and all of our need are different.  The key is know the programs and make your own choice.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

As a first time Oceania Guest, one of my area's of interest, was the drink programs.  This is no surprise to many cruise guests regardless of brand.  I read lots of streams, comments and op-eds on this topic.  They usually fall into a few categories of guest needs.  They are:

1. Folks that don't drink at all.
  2. Folks that want a glass or two of wine at meals.
  3. Folks that want to drink wine, beer and spirits anytime they want.
  4. Folks that really want to drink a lot.
  5. Folks that are very analytical and do the math on buying drinks individually (Happy Hour) to choose one or the other package. 

I am of the opinion that drink packages are NOT designed to be a huge value for the money.  They are designed to be convenient. When I read folks saying you would have to drink this much to break even on a drink package, they are the Analytical type. We are on vacation, we would like to know/have control of our expenditures, a bill at the end of the cruise with lost of drinks are never welcome. When on a premium-plus/luxury brand like Oceania, if and only if you drink more then a few drinks in a given day, my preference is simply to bite the bullet and buy the Prestige Package. Again knowing I am not getting a deal, I am getting convenience.  

My point of writing this post is to give a frame of mind.  Not tell anyone else how to spend their hard earned money.  

I certainly respect anyone’s decision to purchase any available option.  But I am confused about your statement that you purchase the prestige package for convenience.  Since you have to sign anytime you order, how is purchasing the package any more convenient than paying by the drink?  I must be missing something.

17 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

I certainly respect anyone’s decision to purchase any available option.  But I am confused about your statement that you purchase the prestige package for convenience.  Since you have to sign anytime you order, how is purchasing the package any more convenient than paying by the drink?  I must be missing something.

Must be missing something. Cruisers constantly book grossly overpriced Oceania shore tours for the convenience. They don’t have to think much, but they still have to sign the ticket!! 

We were on a shorex that had both private and O people on the same tour. Only difference was a separate vehicle delivered us to the tour operator. Our costs - $150 ea. , O costs $350 each. We paid on the day of the tour, O shorex’s paid when booked. Our Upcoming Falkland’s tour is with the same operator doing the same tour as those booking it with O. Our costs $190 ea.- O price $365 each. Same deal, we pay on tour day, O bills when booked.

For the convenience of booking with O and never reading a Roll Call, please calculate how many days of Prestige upgrade could be paid for in one day. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

always get the package and never have to sign. They do take your card and return it with the drinks, but no signature required. 
k

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GrammieK said:

always get the package and never have to sign. They do take your card and return it with the drinks, but no signature required. 
k

I think the point is that in either case you have to give the server your card.  So there is really no difference other that putting an "X" on the receipt when you card is returned...not much of a convenience advantage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodrowst said:

@Woodrowst You know, your question/comment is very fair and I want to give you my perspective on it.  I don't think the way I feel is the way everyone feels however it might be, so here goes.

My cruise vacation experiences started four decades ago.  At first, it was just having a nice vacation.  When you grow up poor, you dream about having a nice vacation.  My first cruise was my honeymoon, 44 years ago.  Prior to that cruise, our only vacation was visiting my family.  Doing that was something to really look forward too and all we knew.  That first cruise was so "over the top", it got me hooked on cruising.  

My life, like many had a career that got better and better.  This allowed my wife and I to go from an inside cabin with bunkbeds to a port hole.  Life financially got better so we were able to get a very small balcony.  This led to suites and we had a family where my then very young children could join.  Mostly Mainstream cruising out of Miami to the Caribbean. When you start with nothing, then life gives you opportunities, for what every reason, you look to enhance that experience.  Over decades that is what we did.  Not saying always looking for improving the experience is right or healthy for everyone. 

About 10 years ago, my wife explained to me, she she would love to have a bottle of wine in the cabin for for night time private time on the deck.  The Mainstream drink packages only allowed you to have one glass at a time which was ok.  But my wife deserved more and I always was very cost focused. We knew we could bring bottles onboard with some rules different brands had in place. Then I started to study cruise brands drink packages, I looked for ways to get every bit of value from the drink packages that I could.  NCL had an enhanced program that gave you bottles of selected wine at meals that allowed you to take the remain bottle back to your stateroom. I found that this special upgraded drink package would allow me to have very high end spirits I would never have allowed myself to have at home.  So I splurged. When you started out poor, you always feel like you will never have enough because your remember your humble beginnings.  Again, this is just me and very personal. 

Every time from that point forward we upgraded our drink program and to be frank, it made us feel like we were kind of like "Rock Stars".  Every time we ordered wine or a drink, we had to show our stateroom card to access those drinks.  For us, that was just the way it was, so when folks say, "Yes, but you have to show your card for a drink every time", it is just what we are used to.  The only exception was our very first and only "Luxury" (Not ultra-luxury) and cruise on Crystal Cruise where the drink package was the same for everyone and no need for showing your stateroom card.  It was nice, I must admit.  

Our choice to cruise on Oceania Cruises was to again, to enhance our cruising experience now with our best friends joining us. At mid-60's we no longer needed waterslides, go-cart tracks, and laser tag. We just wanted a much more relaxed and classy experience that would provide much better ports to adventure. That was our evolution. My approach is to work within the cruise brands policies.  Showing your stateroom card for every drink is just the rules. My wife understands the bottles of selected wines is a "No Go" and she is fine.  I know, shots of tequila 1942 is not going to happen on this cruise. 

If I know the rules, I accept them so I learn them and embrace them.  My use of the term "Convenience" is much more about creating the impression of an "All Inclusive" experience on brands that are NOT "All Inclusive".  Convenience for me is simply not having a HUGE bill on my stateroom portfolio at the end of the cruise.  That mistake only happened once and we learn from our mistakes. 

So we pay a premium to have the best drink package available based on what is provided by the brand.  In this case the brand is, Oceania.  We accept from day one that we are over paying.  We fully understand this adds revenue to the cruise brand.  We accept that and understand it as well.  For our friends joining us, they are really pushing their budget to join us. They have never cruised before so for them, they are thrilled to show their card to gain a drink and know that for the most part, the cruise fare and the Prestige package allow them to have a drink or wine anytime they want which is again for them, "Rock Star" status. The $600.00 fee (10 day cruise) is actually less then the cost of the enhanced drink package received on Mainstream Brands like NCL. 

With cruises, for us and especially for our friends; this will be very special.  You see it is all relative to the experiences one has in their life time.  To go to a nice lounge/bar, with a well trained staff in a lovely atmosphere and for the most part order what you want on a ship forced on personalized service, enhanced dinning and drinks is all we can ask.  My choice of words may not have expressed accurately what we are receiving.  My choice of words was poor but I hope that makes sense. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Woodrowst said:

With the package, you don't have to sign anything. They'll take your card but no signature or paper is necessary.  I get the basic package and get my money's worth.  There aren't any drink charges that appear on my bill which makes for a cleaner invoice at the end of cruise.

• Like 1

My choice of spirit is Bacardi Blanca and Pepsi. I request Pepsi in the stateroom mini-frig and Oceania follows through.

With Oceania’s very liberal policy of bringing alcohol onboard, it has been easy find Bacardi and local wines at Ports in Europe where many have Duty Free stores. I simply take Pepsi and glass of rum from cabin to Waves bar then ask for a glass of ice. Staff surely knows what is happening but say nothing.

On last October/November 38-day TA from Portsmouth to Miami brought alcohol onboard six times. Cruise had 4 Captains, 4 Oceania Club receptions and Horizon Happy Hours. Also received 3 bottles of comp Oceania wine and exchange Champagne for wine. Results were $260 for rum/wine and $450 for Ship drinks which were paid for with onboard credits.

Next Monday, the 27th, is 38-day cruise from Buenos Aires to Miami and after extensive research found that opportunity to buy alcohol onshore was going to very limited so decided, for the first time, to buy the Prestige Beverage package for myself.

Fortunately, I was able to get the package just before the price increase. Using the 10% Club discount and Onboard credit the cost is $45 per day.

• Thanks 1

Oh, heck, I'll join this fun discussion!

Agree with all personal opinions as they are yours😁

We are booked Singapore to Barcelona next year.  43 days.  At first, I thought I'll just get the Prestige package and not worry about cost at any time on the cruise.  Then I thought, I'm going to take drinking breaks as there is no way I can go full bore for 43 days.  Also DW.  Package at $60pp (could be $70?) equals $5,160 for the cruise.  We are booked as one cruise but there are 3 bookable segments.  This may mean I can delete the Prestige package for one or two segments.  Not sure.  At this time, I plan on paying by the drink and know that I will get a big bill at the end, but it probably will not be $5,160. I will also bring on one bottle of vodka and one of scotch for the room/balcony.  We normally only drink wine and beer at meals with maybe a cocktail at a lounge.  But then....sometimes......😎  I am posting this mainly to throw in the days on board factor.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Woodrowst You know, your question/comment is very fair and I want to give you my perspective on it.  I don't think the way I feel is the way everyone feels however it might be, so here goes.

My cruise vacation experiences started four decades ago.  At first, it was just having a nice vacation.  When you grow up poor, you dream about having a nice vacation.  My first cruise was my honeymoon, 44 years ago.  Prior to that cruise, our only vacation was visiting my family.  Doing that was something to really look forward too and all we knew.  That first cruise was so "over the top", it got me hooked on cruising.  

My life, like many had a career that got better and better.  This allowed my wife and I to go from an inside cabin with bunkbeds to a port hole.  Life financially got better so we were able to get a very small balcony.  This led to suites and we had a family where my then very young children could join.  Mostly Mainstream cruising out of Miami to the Caribbean. When you start with nothing, then life gives you opportunities, for what every reason, you look to enhance that experience.  Over decades that is what we did.  Not saying always looking for improving the experience is right or healthy for everyone. 

About 10 years ago, my wife explained to me, she she would love to have a bottle of wine in the cabin for for night time private time on the deck.  The Mainstream drink packages only allowed you to have one glass at a time which was ok.  But my wife deserved more and I always was very cost focused. We knew we could bring bottles onboard with some rules different brands had in place. Then I started to study cruise brands drink packages, I looked for ways to get every bit of value from the drink packages that I could.  NCL had an enhanced program that gave you bottles of selected wine at meals that allowed you to take the remain bottle back to your stateroom. I found that this special upgraded drink package would allow me to have very high end spirits I would never have allowed myself to have at home.  So I splurged. When you started out poor, you always feel like you will never have enough because your remember your humble beginnings.  Again, this is just me and very personal. 

Every time from that point forward we upgraded our drink program and to be frank, it made us feel like we were kind of like "Rock Stars".  Every time we ordered wine or a drink, we had to show our stateroom card to access those drinks.  For us, that was just the way it was, so when folks say, "Yes, but you have to show your card for a drink every time", it is just what we are used to.  The only exception was our very first and only "Luxury" (Not ultra-luxury) and cruise on Crystal Cruise where the drink package was the same for everyone and no need for showing your stateroom card.  It was nice, I must admit.  

Our choice to cruise on Oceania Cruises was to again, to enhance our cruising experience now with our best friends joining us. At mid-60's we no longer needed waterslides, go-cart tracks, and laser tag. We just wanted a much more relaxed and classy experience that would provide much better ports to adventure. That was our evolution. My approach is to work within the cruise brands policies.  Showing your stateroom card for every drink is just the rules. My wife understands the bottles of selected wines is a "No Go" and she is fine.  I know, shots of tequila 1942 is not going to happen on this cruise. 

If I know the rules, I accept them so I learn them and embrace them.  My use of the term "Convenience" is much more about creating the impression of an "All Inclusive" experience on brands that are NOT "All Inclusive".  Convenience for me is simply not having a HUGE bill on my stateroom portfolio at the end of the cruise.  That mistake only happened once and we learn from our mistakes. 

So we pay a premium to have the best drink package available based on what is provided by the brand.  In this case the brand is, Oceania.  We accept from day one that we are over paying.  We fully understand this adds revenue to the cruise brand.  We accept that and understand it as well.  For our friends joining us, they are really pushing their budget to join us. They have never cruised before so for them, they are thrilled to show their card to gain a drink and know that for the most part, the cruise fare and the Prestige package allow them to have a drink or wine anytime they want which is again for them, "Rock Star" status. The $600.00 fee (10 day cruise) is actually less then the cost of the enhanced drink package received on Mainstream Brands like NCL. 

With cruises, for us and especially for our friends; this will be very special.  You see it is all relative to the experiences one has in their life time.  To go to a nice lounge/bar, with a well trained staff in a lovely atmosphere and for the most part order what you want on a ship forced on personalized service, enhanced dinning and drinks is all we can ask.  My choice of words may not have expressed accurately what we are receiving.  My choice of words was poor but I hope that makes sense. 

Thank you for one of the most interesting posts I have seen on cruisecritic.

11 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

Thank you for one of the most interesting posts I have seen on cruisecritic.

@Woodrowst My pleasure.  I do love CruiseCritic.com and the people on it regardless of brand. Thank you for putting up with my spelling and grammar.  My intent is always to explain the well though.