Beyond Captain

jack's sister

On 2/17/2023 at 7:12 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

I am on the same sailing found out from others that our sailing be her last then she goes home.

Is that a temporary break, or is that her last cruise with the Beyond? We'll be sailing on the Beyond in July. Do you know if she'll be the Captain in July?

1 minute ago, Fish7 said:

Is that a temporary break, or is that her last cruise with the Beyond? We'll be sailing on the Beyond in July. Do you know if she'll be the Captain in July?

Usually three months on, three months off, but it can vary. If it's three months off, she would be back around the end of June. Follow her on Tik Tok or Instagram for the latest info .....

mac_tlc

2 hours ago, Fish7 said:

During a Q&A meeting that Captain Kate hosted during our 1/8 Beyond cruise, she was asked a similar question. Her response was that she is the Captain of Beyond for as long as she wants it and it sounded like that will be for a very long time. She even added that during her "off" time she may stay on the ship as a regular passenger. Her husband is an Engineer Officer on another Celebrity ship and when timing allows they do take vacations together otherwise she may stay on the ship. She never mentioned if her and her husband have an actual home somewhere on land.

Anyway, that was my take away from her responses. I know that it has been reported here on CC that folks have seen her on the ship when she was not the Captain. If I remember correctly, she did confirm that she does stay onboard from time to time. An unusual life that few of us would want, but she certainly is dedicated to Celebrity Beyond, her husband, and her cat (not necessarily in that order LOL).

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Has that changed lately? I thought he was on Virgin Voyages.

Could be, but I think that I would have remembered that. Also possible that she did not say what ship he was on; short discussion on this subject. Remember more of what Captain Kate said about herself and her background in how she became a Captain on Celebrity's ships. She has a lot of experience; very impressive person and we got a chance to talk to her while she was near Le Voyage (we were headed there, she was not). Very nice lady!

41 minutes ago, sptrout said:

I don't think so. She told us the name of the ship, but I do not remember it. 

I thought it was Royal Caribbean, she mentioned Odyssey of the Seas. 

Captain Kate McCue has been married to her husband, Nikola Petrovic, since 2006. Kate and Nikola met while working onboard a Royal Caribbean ship. 

7 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I thought it was Royal Caribbean, she mentioned Odyssey of the Seas. 

Captain Kate McCue has been married to her husband, Nikola Petrovic, since 2006. Kate and Nikola met while working onboard a Royal Caribbean ship. 

Yeah - they met on RCCL. I'm pretty sure he is working for Virgin now.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Her husband is now working with RCI corporation overseeing the engineering of 38 ships in total including Celebrity.  He goes from one ship to the next one and so on, making sure that everything is up to standards.  Occasionally, he and Kate are at the same port on different ships, and they meet up for lunch before saying goodbye til next time.  This is a new position for him.  Yes, he was chief engineer of Virgin Cruiseline Scarlet Lady.  I follow Captain Kate on IG and she is very forthcoming about their personal lives.  They do have a home in Las Vegas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have heard several say on FB that Captain Kate will be onboard Beyond’s TA, but as a guest.  With expect to any other cruises before, or after her vacay from Captain, I have no idea.  I am on the TA/b2b, so will share accordingly!

14 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

There are actually TWO captains of the Beyond, snd they alternate. Anyone know the nsme of the other captain?

There is only one Captain on Beyond and that is Captain Kate McCue.  When she is away from the ship, the Staff Captain takes over.  On the new Celebrity Ascent, two brothers will share Captain duties starting in 2024. They are the Kafetzis  brothers, who have been with Celebrity for a number of years.

Edited by Lady Arwen
Spelling

21 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Her husband is now working with RCI corporation overseeing the engineering of 38 ships in total including Celebrity.  He goes from one ship to the next one and so on, making sure that everything is up to standards.  Occasionally, he and Kate are at the same port on different ships, and they meet up for lunch before saying goodbye til next time.  This is a new position for him.  Yes, he was chief engineer of Virgin Cruiseline Scarlet Lady.  I follow Captain Kate on IG and she is very forthcoming about their personal lives.  They do have a home in Las Vegas.

That was what she said during her Q&A on Beyond a couple weeks ago. 

I thought she also said that Captain Dimetrios was her “alternate”, he and his brother Tasos will take out the Ascent.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mac_tlc said:

That was what she said during her Q&A on Beyond a couple weeks ago. 

I thought she also said that Captain Dimetrios was her “alternate”, he and his brother Tasso will take out the Ascent.

mac_tlc

Captain Dimitrios will on occasion take the helm for Captain Kate.  This time her staff Captain will take over, as per her latest video.  Now that the brothers are taking over Ascent, they will alternate duties.  I believe that it’s in three month shifts.  I think that this is their three month “off” time, so not sure if they could also take over Beyond when Captain Kate is away.  Yesterday, she posted on IG that she planned on being the captain of Beyond for many more years.  I sure hope so!

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Captain Dimitrios will on occasion take the helm for Captain Kate.  This time her staff Captain will take over, as per her latest video.  Now that the brothers are taking over Ascent, they will alternate duties.  I believe that it’s in three month shifts.  I think that this is their three month “off” time, so not sure if they could also take over Beyond when Captain Kate is away.  Yesterday, she posted on IG that she planned on being the captain of Beyond for many more years.  I sure hope so!

Interesting. I haven’t seen a situation where there are not alternating Captain’s. Maybe a temporary situation due to taking out Ascent. The three months on three months off is typical. 

On the Royal board there is a thread kept up to date that shows all ships and captains along with their alternates. 10-12 week shifts are common.

Dont know when the latest PUP video was shot, but Captain Tasos was on Edge for it.  Could have been weeks ago. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Interesting. I haven’t seen a situation where there are not alternating Captain’s. Maybe a temporary situation due to taking out Ascent. The three months on three months off is typical. 

On the Royal board there is a thread kept up to date that shows all ships and captains along with their alternates. 10-12 week shifts are common.

Dont know when the latest PUP video was shot, but Captain Tasos was on Edge for it.  Could have been weeks ago. 

mac_tlc

I think you’re right.  The Kafetzis brothers are most likely preparing for their taking of Ascent.  Not sure when they officially start their duties, but I think it would be months ahead of her sail out.  Captain Kate was very involved for quite some time before taking over Beyond.  
Will be interesting to see how it all evolves over the next year.

• Like 1