Are the doors on the Dawn metal? Can I decorate them? Any other tips for a first timer on NCL with a large group?

JenKate

We haven't cruised in nine very long years, we had a surprise baby and then COVID, but we'll be on the Norwegian Dawn on April 2nd.  I booked a cruise for that week and then sent a text to my family and my husband's inviting them.  Well, all of my in-laws decided to come!  (Except the one with a newborn, which is sad, but she's worth it!) So now I'll be cruising with 26 of my favorite people and I'm a little anxious because NCL was my idea, so I want it to be amazing.

I've always decorated doors for our family cruises, and I didn't think it was a huge deal, but I overheard my older nieces telling the younger ones about it how awesome the door decorations will be, so now it's something I want to do.  Just want to make sure it's allowed before I spend the time doing it!  I've found some places that say yes and some that say no.

Any other tips?  We're all non-drinkers, ages 4-66, all the adults have a handful of cruises under their belts.  I'll take any advice!

10 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

I see decorated doors on every cruise.

1 minute ago, JenKate said:

See this is why I'm confused. 🙂

Are they allowed? No.

Is the ban always enforced? No.

Does it still happen? Yes. 

For a time, it was stated in the dailies that the decorations were not allowed....

67714367_2588759784476656_61617920497302

... but recent dailies don't always state that the decorations are not allowed. 

I’ve been on over 20 cruises 7 with NCL. I customized our cabin door with a professionally made door magnet every cruise. I just got off the Bliss in September to Alaska and had a beautiful glacier magnet with no issue. I’ll be on the Encore for my Birthday in April and I have my Birthday magnet all ready to go. Never been asked to remove or had removed by room stewards or Butlers. Good luck 🤞 😋

3 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Not allowed but that doesn't stop everyone from breaking the rules.

Everyone???  I think a few people may decorate their doors but it is a very small number from what I have seen.  

To the OP: I place a small magnet on my door and have never had a problem.  I used the same one for years until I took an RCL trip and someone stole it. I may see one or 2 doors decorated in a very long hallway but I don't think it is a 'thing' anymore.

I don't decorate, but I get everyone a Dry Erase Sheet decorated with their names and some other stickers that make sense. (I.e., one of my travel mates on the next ship is a nurse so I'll add nursing stickers to hers.) And get dry erase pens with magnets built in so they stick to the door. This is partially so we (okay, me) can find out rooms in the vast hallways of sameness, but also, and more importantly, so we can let each other know where we are as none of us have the Internet packages, so no texting.

I'm hoping it's still allowed - no one has said boo on the last three cruises - because in several rooms on various floors it's often the only time we find each other. But there's no residue left behind, no fire danger, nothing that can't disappear without a trace in less than a minute, so even though it's "breaking the rules" I doubt they will bother us, and we really do need it. 

On 2/18/2023 at 10:04 AM, debenson0723 said:

To the OP: I place a small magnet on my door and have never had a problem.  I used the same one for years until I took an RCL trip and someone stole it.

I also had someone steal my plain, simple magnet on an NCL cruise. And also a very special one made for our specific cruise on another NCL cruise. I sort of understand the special one but not the plain one.

On one cruise, I had a dry eraser board hanging on my door with a specific message re "Today is..." along the lines of "National Hot Dog Day" or such. No one ever bothered it. Some said they came by our hall just to see what "day" it was. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 5:42 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

It's more like "...don't do it and you have nothing to worry about...".

For whatever reason, NCL doesn't (or at least, didn't) want them. Guests should abide. 

On 2/19/2023 at 5:45 PM, thespiritmovesme said:

I also had someone steal my plain, simple magnet on an NCL cruise. And also a very special one made for our specific cruise on another NCL cruise. I sort of understand the special one but not the plain one.

On one cruise, I had a dry eraser board hanging on my door with a specific message re "Today is..." along the lines of "National Hot Dog Day" or such. No one ever bothered it. Some said they came by our hall just to see what "day" it was. 

Agree with above statement.  We were on the Dawn Feb. 8-19 & will be again in 17 days.  I saw very few door decorations - they are discouraged.