Your experience on embarkation day presenting insurance docs?

Well, with the help of you fine forum folk, i've done my insurance research now. 

Soon we'll be embarking from Brisbane on Luminosa South Pacific cruise (and again later in year from Sydney on another ship).

If anyone has recently embarked to South Pacific, can you please share your experience on what the staff actually asked to see by way of the now mandatory travel insurance covering cruises and covid?

I have a certificate of insurance showing the insured, dates of trip etc, but will have to print out something showing that the policy covers Covid. Other than printing the whole PID, which I know the terminal staff won't have time to wade through, I may just print a relevant page or two???

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Tripmode33
Spelling

• Tripmode33 changed the title to Your experience on embarkation day presenting insurance docs?

I haven’t done it yet but I’m about to tomorrow. NRMA emailed me the policy as per usual but within that email I also have a letter that states “ confirmation of international Travel insurance with Covid benefits”. I printed both the policy and letter. That surely must be enough for them…. This is all staring to get a bit silly…

• Thanks 1

On our current cruise on Majestic Princess they asked to see our proof of insurance. We had the cover sheet printed showing dates etc.

They asked if it covered cruising and covid. Also repatriation. We simply answered their questions and all was good.

We did have the full policy in PDF on the phone in case they wanted to see it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

I have a certificate of insurance showing the insured, dates of trip etc, but will have to print out something showing that the policy covers Covid. Other than printing the whole PID, which I know the terminal staff won't have time to wade through, I may just print a relevant page or two???

Thanks for your advice.

Are you using your ANZ CC travel Insurance for this?

I just printed mine out from and the 3rd page has the eligibility for COVID cover.....it states

"Under this group policy, the elible travellers listed below have access to International Travel insurance which includes epidemic/pandemic (such as COVID 19) coverage and cover while cruising including while aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters."

30 minutes ago, Galesa said:

You will have been provided a Certificate of Insurance by email from your insurer. Its a standalone document. It has all the required information. You present it during boarding. Job done.

That's been my experience with my NAB Visa  CC, except I've never had to present one when boarding. Have only been asked once on a land tour Deal Trip for Egypt.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I'm a US solo traveler who has never been to Australia.  I booked a trip for a Nov 8th trip leaving out of Sydney.  Am I going to need insurance with a Covid rider on it?  I also have a B2B cruise that will be leaving right on the backside and the promoter (who is an Australian company) had suggested an insurance provider, but it was extremely minimal without anything related to Covid.  In fact, it expressly stated no Covid coverage.  

Can someone please explain what I should have?

Thanks much!

Kathy

2 hours ago, kccpa said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a US solo traveler who has never been to Australia.  I booked a trip for a Nov 8th trip leaving out of Sydney.  Am I going to need insurance with a Covid rider on it?  I also have a B2B cruise that will be leaving right on the backside and the promoter (who is an Australian company) had suggested an insurance provider, but it was extremely minimal without anything related to Covid.  In fact, it expressly stated no Covid coverage.  

Thanks much!

Kathy

It will depend on which countries you're cruising to from Sydney. If you're only visiting Australian and NZ ports, there are no compulsory insurance requirements as I understand.

3 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Are you using your ANZ CC travel Insurance for this?

I just printed mine out from and the 3rd page has the eligibility for COVID cover.....it states

"Under this group policy, the elible travellers listed below have access to International Travel insurance which includes epidemic/pandemic (such as COVID 19) coverage and cover while cruising including while aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters."

Thank you Cheznandy. I've now read all the way to page 3 and can clearly see it. That is excellent!

15 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Thank you Cheznandy. I've now read all the way to page 3 and can clearly see it. That is excellent!

No worries, last time I called ANZ CC Insurance, gave the info and she emailed me the paperwork. This time when I called she said I could do it online through the eligibility checker, so I did but the paperwork was a little different and there wasn't a separate COVID cover certificate but was written on that last page. Anyway as long as it is there and you have the cover you need, hoping none of us will need it!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kccpa said:

In this region, covid insurance coverage is required for travel to New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.

If cruising to those countries, you'll usually be asked for paper proof of covid coverage as part of embarkation.

Outside of those countries, minimal coverage is acceptable.

• Like 1

Two cruises November and January, never asked for any proof.  P&O sailing from Brisbane.

I had agonised over whether my letter from insurance company was detailed enough, that’s tine I won’t be getting back. Lol

16 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

In this region, covid insurance coverage is required for travel to New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.

If cruising to those countries, you'll usually be asked for paper proof of covid coverage as part of embarkation.

Outside of those countries, minimal coverage is acceptable.

Small piece in the travel section of the paper today saying that Fiji has dropped the requirement for covid insurance and vaccination - may or may not apply to cruises. 

• Thanks 1

We were required to show proof of insurance to board the Carnival Splendor, whose ports included Noumea and Lifou in New Caledonia, before boarding late last month. I asked the woman at check-in what would have happened if we didn’t have insurance/proof and she said we wouldn’t have been allowed to sail. 

• Like 1

We have recently embarked to the South Pacific, specifically last Sunday 12 Feb, on Carnival Luminosa. At the check-in counter, we were asked "have you done a covid test, and were you negative". Answered yes  test done and started to show screenshot proof. "No, don't need to see it, thanks. Do you have suitable travel insurance which covers covid and cruising?" Answered yes, and prepared to show the printed cover letter.  "No, don't need to see it, just need your response." Bit flabbergasted to say the least. Said to the check-in person  that I had fully expected to provide proof, but no, just our positive response was required. So off we went, as easy as that. After all the horror stories on this forum and the other major social media page, the reality of the actual procedure was the complete opposite. 

• Thanks 1

We cruised last Sunday on Luminosa to South Pacific and had similar experience as willsaway but we did speak to one passenger whose paperwork was inspected and they were not happy with it. They tried contacting the insurer on normal contact number but that was only staffed Mon to Fri. They then contacted their daughter who was able to sort it out somehow. So it seems a bit hit and miss, a bit like Border Force today not even looking at incoming passenger cards and with cruise from South Pacific lots of people with wooden items etc.

• Thanks 1

On Luminosa today. I was asked if I had travel insurance and it was briefly checked, just a glance over. No one checked my RAT test photos or even asked me about a RAT. It comes across as though everyone is over it. Honestly they where more worried about Monkeypox and if you had travelled out of the country in the last 30 days then Covid. 
maybe Monkeypox is the new Covid… wonder if we will need insurance for it.