Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

3 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

$20 the first day would do the trick. Not every day. Though I do like to give more during the cruise. When I make the request, if they don't have the time, they can tell me, and I'll make do. But I think they'll find time.

Have you been on a cruise where the 1x a day is normal?  I thought that was just rolling out.  Let's see what happens after the stewards have some experience with it.  

21 hours ago, little britain said:

Seriously, you have clean towels twice a day at home? If not, then there is no need for it on holiday. 

Do you daily eat food prepared by chef at home, shows, entertainment, cleaned pool?  If not, then there is no need for it on holiday.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Have you been on a cruise where the 1x a day is normal?  I thought that was just rolling out.  Let's see what happens after the stewards have some experience with it.  

Yes, in January, the steward informed me there would be once a day service, and would I prefer morning or evening. I handed him $50, (that's how I roll, haha) asked about ice and towels and also asked if he would windex the mirror and the TV because they were dirty. He handled it all and turned down my bed each night also. Like you say, let's see what happens, maybe I just was lucky this one time. 

I traveled solo too, and felt a little bad that the steward was not getting as much gratuity as he did from other cabins. I'm neat as well.

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

I wish more people would have the mindset when on vacation "if you want to play, you gotta pay."

As little as a crisp $20 on the first day, with a polite, concise request i.e. "We'd like morning service, but while we are at dinner, you'll be able to refill our ice bucket and see if we need clean towels, won't you? We never remove the daily gratuities, by the way." and you'll be set.  

I strongly suspect the changes are not just about cost-cutting, but also they can't find people who want the cabin steward jobs. 

I do a crisp 5.00 bill every time I ask for ice.  And I put it in the cooler so it lasts longer than sitting on the counter.
I don’t need to have him come into the room to do it.  

but that’s me.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Do you daily eat food prepared by chef at home, shows, entertainment, cleaned pool?  If not, then there is no need for it on holiday.

I understand what you’re saying, but when most are on a “holiday” they like things to be a bit different, more pampered, more special than when they’re at home,  otherwise why travel at all.

• Like 1

Just now, lovesthebeach2 said:

I understand what you’re saying, but when most are on a “holiday” they like things to be a bit different, more pampered, more special than when they’re at home,  otherwise why travel at all.

That was a reply - you missed irony in it. I meant the opposite of what you think of my statement that was on par with what you wrote.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I travel a TON for business and personal trips.  'Standard hotel services' at almost all hotels now is once per day, no turn down.  And many, including some higher end properties, will only come daily if requested.  So for Royal to move to once per day, IS standard hotel service.  

Yes. But to me this is the problem.  We've all accepted it at hotels as the way it is.  Hotels have increased cost and decreased service and now it's coming to the ships.  Why?  Because they can get away with it.  Why would any hotel or Royal give more service if they can get away with less.  Employing less people for service helps their bottom line.

Don't get me wrong.....I know its going to happen whether we like it or not.  It will become the norm.  But if quality of the experience goes down too much and costs go up they may lose some of their customers. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I travel a TON for business and personal trips.  'Standard hotel services' at almost all hotels now is once per day, no turn down.  And many, including some higher end properties, will only come daily if requested.  So for Royal to move to once per day, IS standard hotel service.  

Yes. But to me this is the problem.  We've all accepted it at hotels as the way it is.  Hotels have increased cost and decreased service and now it's coming to the ships.  Why?  Because they can get away with it.  Why would any hotel or Royal give more service if they can get away with less.  Employing less people for service helps their bottom line.

Don't get me wrong.....I know its going to happen whether we like it or not.  It will become the norm.  But if quality of the experience goes down too much and costs go up they may lose some of their customers. 

48 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

I do a crisp 5.00 bill every time I ask for ice.  And I put it in the cooler so it lasts longer than sitting on the counter.
I don’t need to have him come into the room to do it.  

but that’s me.   

So THATS what I need to do so my money lasts longer... put it on ice. (read your first two sentences).  LOL

10 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Key is "may".  And how long until they do?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So THATS what I need to do so my money lasts longer... put it on ice. (read your first two sentences).  LOL

Guess I’m missing it.    It I think I see what your saying.   No I don’t put the crisp 5 in the cooler.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The grats are per person per day, right?  So in using your chart above as an example, would a standard housekeeping steward receive $3.55 pp/pd per room cleaned?  That would be $7.10 per room and at say 30 rooms, comes out to roughly $213 per day.  Am I way off on this as I am truly trying to understand how this works.

Its alot more now.  Carnival is more then twice that.    They actually post it on your bill.    However the steward only gets 25% of that.  The rest is divided amongst many people you never see.  Otherwise he would make as much as a captain!!!! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Its alot more now.  Carnival is more then twice that.    They actually post it on your bill.    However the steward only gets 25% of that.  The rest is divided amongst many people you never see.  Otherwise he would make as much as a captain!!!! 

A "lot" more?  It's gone up $1.50/day/person.  About a 10% increase. 

As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

So if they (room stewards) were getting $3.55, and they got a 10% bump, now they'd be getting $3.90/pppd.

Two people in a room = $7.80/room/day

30 rooms/day = $234/day.

30 days/month =  $7,020

10 months/contract = $70,200

Add in whatever their salary is plus room and board.  Heck, they may WANT 30 rooms a day (and only service them once).  

ETA:  Yes, my numbers are guestimates.  If they were only doing 15 rooms/day, over the contract, it becomes $35,100. 

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Who really needs service 2x a day?  
I know you’re on vacation but really.   Are you that messy?

I make my own bed when I get up. I’m up early and hate a messy bed and don’t like looking at it p, takes 2 minutes.  
only thing I use services for is ice every other day.  
Put your ice bucket in the cooler so it stays cold and lasts longer.  
who gets new towels every day at home?    

why waste there time with new towels every day.

And backing up the laundry.   I ask for new towels mid cruise 

but that’s me.   But man I see some messy cabins. That’s for sure.  

The big difference is that you are on a cruise, not at home. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Well they're not going to get rich obviously, but it's not a terrible wage assuming room and board are covered as part of the cruise contract.  Again, I really don't know how it works behind the scenes as it relates to gratuities.  I can't think of a circumstance where I would remove them.

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

A "lot" more?  It's gone up $1.50/day/person.  About a 10% increase. 

As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

273DA577-12FF-4AE0-8BB9-84BBEA296F8D.thumb.jpeg.22e516dca11ef1fcea789921d83cb721.jpeg

this is from my carnival 8 day last week. They get $14.50 a day pp and the steward gets $4.44. So i am assuming royal gets a little more  say close to 5 so you are correct.   I am more or less confirmed the steward gets to keep 25% of the $4.44 with 35 rooms to clean……

1 minute ago, pilot said:

The big difference is that you are on a cruise, not at home. 

Yeah.  And what’s your point. ?  
I travel all over the world and still ask for the same service.   
Im not needy or a pig. Like some. 

I cruise for the ports and history of the port, not to have my bed made or someone clean my empty trash can.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well they're not going to get rich obviously, but it's not a terrible wage assuming room and board are covered as part of the cruise contract.  Again, I really don't know how it works behind the scenes as it relates to gratuities.  I can't think of a circumstance where I would remove them.

Let’s not forget that the crew has to pay for wifi. And they pay there own ways back home after contracts.  Nothings free        

1 minute ago, resetjet said:

273DA577-12FF-4AE0-8BB9-84BBEA296F8D.thumb.jpeg.22e516dca11ef1fcea789921d83cb721.jpeg

this is from my carnival 8 day last week. They get $14.50 a day pp and the steward gets $4.44. So i am assuming royal gets a little more  say close to 5 so you are correct.   I am more or less confirmed the steward gets to keep 25% of the $4.44 with 35 rooms to clean……

Why are you assuming Royal stewards get a little more?  People have posted how much the stewards get of the $14.50pppd ($3.55).  So why do you think they're getting close to $5?

1 minute ago, Cruise5life said:

I cruise for the ports and history of the port, not to have my bed made or someone clean my empty trash can.  

But respectfully, you are cruising for you.  Your cruise preferences don't necessarily set the standard for others.  And if others have a different standard, it doesn't make them either needy or piggish IMO, of course.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

Yeah.  And what’s your point. ?  
I travel all over the world and still ask for the same service.   
Im not needy or a pig. Like some. 

My point is…it’s a cruise, not like staying at a hotel. 

We are paying an extra fee of $17.50/day per person for a level of service not included in the cruise fare. This daily fee has increased over the years to hopefully get more money to the hard working people. 

When you go on a cruise you expect something more than your normal everyday experience and you paid for it. 

You shouldn’t have to give your room steward money up front to do the job that you expect him to do. If he does a great job at the end of your cruise, hopefully you will generous with something extra. 

If you don’t want service more than once a day or every other day just let him know. I will be requesting a morning service and an evening quick fresh up. 

• Like 4

I was on an NCL cruise last week and the steward only did room cleaning once, any time after we were up and about for the day.  We found ours always done by 10 am or so.  But we saw him in the hallway working well into the afternoon on cabins for the late sleepers, etc.  If we needed something we had a phone number to call if we could not find him in the hallway.  He gave us clean towels every day.  I personally saw him vacuuming cabins, so I assume he vacuumed ours either daily or as needed. 

We had zero issue with this. My cruise experience was not negatively impacted. I always found the evening service to be a nice, but unnecessary thing.  We are not messy cruisers.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2