Why Viking Air?

KrisD28

1 minute ago, YWW said:

Not true. Just because airlines release the flight schedule 300 days out doesn't mean you can select them. Only the ones approved by Viking Air can be selected. We paid for Viking Air Plus and just went through the flight selection process with them. We found couple of flights that gave us the best departure and arrival time with decent layover. Viking Air said no because they were not approved. In our case, Viking had a promotional airfare of $999 pp for the cruise. Maybe if you don't have promotional airfare with Viking that's tied into the cruise, it may work.

Even though there was a promotional airfare, we got what we wanted for a higher price  It ended up costing less than if we had gotten tickets ourselves.  You are right that for the promotional fare you are limited.  But you can get other options.  

27 minutes ago, dd57 said:

Even though there was a promotional airfare, we got what we wanted for a higher price  It ended up costing less than if we had gotten tickets ourselves.  You are right that for the promotional fare you are limited.  But you can get other options.  

To switch to what we wanted which was AA that included just one stop instead of UA which included 2 stops, Viking Air said we would have to pay $1250 extra per person. Or another $1600 extra per person if we wanted to change the gateway cities. We spent over 2 hours with them on the phone but no luck. They did say when flight schedules change which is happening frequently now especially with United and several European airlines, Viking Air may decide to approve our flights in the future. Viking Air gave us an option ... forget the Viking Air promotional airfare and book our own flights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YWW said:

Only the ones approved by Viking Air can be selected.

It’s not an “approval” situation—it’s the contract Viking Air has with the airlines. But yes, you can select your preferred flights when the airlines open their schedules and then see if Viking has contracts for those flights. If not, you’re free to purchase on your own.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

It’s not an “approval” situation—it’s the contract Viking Air has with the airlines. But yes, you can select your preferred flights when the airlines open their schedules and then see if Viking has contracts for those flights. If not, you’re free to purchase on your own.

Yes, Viking Air has contracts with almost all airlines but "approval" must come from Viking Air to allow passengers to deviate or change to another carrier's flights. That was how Viking Air supervisor explained to us even with Viking Air Plus. They have contracts with AA but their flights were not "approved" by Viking Air at the time of our booking.

2 hours ago, YWW said:

Yes, Viking Air has contracts with almost all airlines but "approval" must come from Viking Air to allow passengers to deviate or change to another carrier's flights. That was how Viking Air supervisor explained to us even with Viking Air Plus. They have contracts with AA but their flights were not "approved" by Viking Air at the time of our booking.

Viking Air does not have “contracts with almost all airlines”—that is misleading. They have contracts with certain airlines based on the gateway, the season, & the cruise. You indicate you’re in Illinois and perhaps Chicago, as a major gateway, has a lot of contracted flights with Viking. We ran into the limitations when we had Viking Air Plus and wanted to go from our gateway—Seattle—to Hong Kong. They had only a few contracts for that route and we were able to get what we wanted with them. But on our connections this year for a cruise in July into Norway and out of Iceland, we could not get the class of seats we wanted through the Viking Air Plus contracts so we booked our own flights home from Iceland.

44 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Viking Air does not have “contracts with almost all airlines”—that is misleading. They have contracts with certain airlines based on the gateway, the season, & the cruise. You indicate you’re in Illinois and perhaps Chicago, as a major gateway, has a lot of contracted flights with Viking. We ran into the limitations when we had Viking Air Plus and wanted to go from our gateway—Seattle—to Hong Kong. They had only a few contracts for that route and we were able to get what we wanted with them. But on our connections this year for a cruise in July into Norway and out of Iceland, we could not get the class of seats we wanted through the Viking Air Plus contracts so we booked our own flights home from Iceland.

Agree with you Linda.

We spoke with Viking Air and found that the flights they can offer depend on their contracts, which depend on:

-Airline

-Gateway city

-Destination city

-Specific flights and itineraries

-Days of week and month(s) and times of day

-Class of service (econ, prem econ, business)

-and finally, amount of seats offered on one of these combinations

inotherwords - everything.

There is not a strong correlation to what you may see on-line on any airline site or google flights or whatever and what may be available at any instant via Viking Air.  

That is why if you use Viking Air your best bet is to have several options researched out, be flexible, and willing to accept other than your first choice.

The final kicker:  these contracts can change throughout time (as in between booking and ticketing), leading to the situation where a given desired 1 stop itinerary that was available at booking is now not available, so the whole itinerary has to be changed, often to different airlines and different connecting cities.  Another change can come from business or prem econ suddenly not being offered on an itinerary so you can get downgraded later on.

Often - itineraries may be available then that you had or still desire, but will cost you extra.  This can often happen when there is free or very discounted Viking Air advertised. (promos)

It helped us understand the risks of using Viking Air.  And if we do we avoid the zero air fares and promos.  As such, and because we like control, we don't use them very often, as we are particular about flights, seats, class of service, and itineraries.

Once again, your experiences may vary - there will always be people who get success - there is not one set rule.  You just have to know your odds and what you are willing to risk.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Linda, you are right. My typo. Viking only has contracts with some airlines but not all. We are seasoned cruisers and have sailed Viking river a number of times before the pandemic all without a single scheduling issue with Viking Air. However now with Viking ocean and with the pandemic "over", we seem to have flight scheduling issues which never happened before. We can only blame that on the airline issues and the numerous flight changes unless Viking Air has a change of policy. We use Viking Air primarily for "peace of mind" if there's a problem that arises during the middle or close to the end of the cruise. Yes, we can find cheaper flights on our own but we are willing to pay extra for their assistance should problem develops. 

I'm considering an Viking Ocean cruise this summer which includes free air.  I prefer Delta SkyTeam as I can usually swing an upgrade and am wondering if they are preferred partners with Viking Air?

Also, as Viking Air is included, if they book flights for me and later I find a better deal on my own and cancel Viking's flights, will I be penalized?  I know I wouldn't receive the included transfers but wondering if Viking will charge a flight cancellation fee?

5 minutes ago, pavementends said:

I booked myself in business for about $900 less per person than the Viking price.

Got to choose my own seats and add a stop on the return.

At minimum price-sensitive travelers should check the cost for booking independently.

Similar results here.

Independent Bus Class booking:  $3800  to Europe and return.

Viking Air Plus with deviation:   $4800+$100+$100 = $5000

Plus, get ticketed, get seats.  

Pay our own transfers with is cheap and not a big deal at all.  Seasoned travelers.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Similar results here.

Pay our own transfers with is cheap and not a big deal at all.  Seasoned travelers.

Did the same thing this morning for our two upcoming trips. By the time you add the flights you prefer, the class you want to fly, travel on a different day, etc., the Viking price is much higher than what you can work out yourself. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Similar results here.

Strangely...Viking was willing to give me free transfers. Don't know why, maybe it was because on this cruise there was only ONE flight that made sense for almost all of the travelers.

Edited by pavementends
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 3:04 PM, janetcbl said:

Did the same thing this morning for our two upcoming trips. By the time you add the flights you prefer, the class you want to fly, travel on a different day, etc., the Viking price is much higher than what you can work out yourself. 

I ended up do this as well. 

I'm still amazed Viking's price was HIGHER than the airline's actual website price. I've never come across this with other cruise lines.  Even sent them a screenshot of website flights and fare hoping they'd at least match it so I could get "free transfers" but to no avail...

Kicking myself a little but what's a girl to do. Oh well, live and learn...still looking forward to my first Viking cruise!

• Like 1

Everyone needs to remember:  Airline and Cruiseline air pricing and inventory are two separate and distinct universes.  Just because something exists in one does not mean it exists in the other.

One key to remember - cruiseline air is a function of the contracts between the cruiseline and the specific carrier.  As such, pricing is a function of that contract, as well as inventory and routings.  They are fairly fixed, though there are likely provisions for soft blocks.

Direct airline air ticketing, OTOH, is a continuously dynamic process.  So you have a case of apples and oranges, even if the end product - getting you from point A to point B - seems the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

FlyerTalker... Or anyone who knows V air policies...

Advice please.

Considering V Iceland, Brit Isles, and Iberia. Has free Air promo. Not R/T, BCN/KEF.  Would want a EWR/BCN (Uber up to EWR for nonstop on UA). Then KEF/PHL return.

Does this require airplus and/or deviation.  Would use prior evening air (no deviation) for arr. into BCN, and same day air for return to Philly

21 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

FlyerTalker... Or anyone who knows V air policies...

Advice please.

Considering V Iceland, Brit Isles, and Iberia. Has free Air promo. Not R/T, BCN/KEF.  Would want a EWR/BCN (Uber up to EWR for nonstop on UA). Then KEF/PHL return.

Does this require airplus and/or deviation.  Would use prior evening air (no deviation) for arr. into BCN, and same day air for return to Philly

What happens if your EWR flight is cancelled last minute (like air traffic strike or other issues).  If you miss the Barcelona boarding, what next?  Worth $100?  I debate this back and forth. No right answer.  So many air issues these days.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

"Free air" could be just about anything.  Even if there is a non-stop between two cities, who knows if you would be assigned to that flight or not, under the promotion.  One thing to think of is that non-stops generally are able to command a revenue premium over connections.  And since the current retail price differential between the cheapest connection (TAP) vs the UA non-stop is over $600, what do you think will be the offering for "free air"?

Also, not sure what you are thinking of on a KEF to PHL return.  There are no non-stops on that route, so you would be connecting somewhere.  Again, what do you think Viking would offer for "free"?

You'd have to see what they offer.  And that might not even be told until after you are booked, and maybe even fully paid.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

"Free air" could be just about anything. 

Caveat emptor.

What is that old saying, FlyerTalker, . . . 

There is no free lunch  (or free air is really not "free").

Sadly, this marketing ploy has set way to many unrealistic expectations in a huge number of Viking passengers (mostly newbies who haven't experienced the no free lunch thing).  It does irk me a bit about this marketing aspect, since I do believe customers should be educated in some way as to what free air actually means.  You and others have certainly done your share of helping us all get educated!

• Thanks 1

Just returned from a Viking river cruise and we used the "free air."  Let me say the flights were on-time and all went well, and the Viking transfer services were phenomenal, but there were glitches with the flights that would have never occurred if I had booked my own air. First of all, none of my flights were non-stop, and none of them were on my frequent flyer choice airline.

On our international flights over to Europe I was constantly getting kicked out of our assigned seats--I went into the airline records and it stated only one seat assignment was prepaid ( a Viking miscommunication to the airline?). Almost every day I had to reinstate my seat! I talked to the Viking air department and they said they would contact the airline, but even at check-in my seat was still showing as not pre-booked.  A small issue but a bit sloppy.

We did have to transit quite quickly through Frankfurt airport, and it was rather hectic getting to the gate on time after looping around to passport control. Our return flight was rebooked on a completely different airline than from our original booking, and we had three circuitous connections with a longish layover. (To: PHL to FRA, FRA to MUC on Lufthansa/From: BUD to ZRH, ZRH to YYZ, YYZ to PHL on Air Canada.)

Well, we are very experienced travelers, and we went into this with our eyes wide open. I refused to pay extra for upgraded flights for this trip, and we had time limitations so we could not extend either pre-or post-cruise.   We were extremely happy that our luggage made it both ways without issue.

I would definitely recommend caution to use Viking free air for those who are not able to endure potentially stressful flying situations such as short connection times (can you run?), long layovers (do you have a good book to read?), or many connections (is time of the essence?).  

However, for us, travel is always an adventure, and sometimes, like Viking free air often seems to do, we also make budget the priority over convenience and comfort. All-in-all, the flights are only a small part of the entire wonderful cruise experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 8:08 PM, cadburysmom said:

I'm considering an Viking Ocean cruise this summer which includes free air.  I prefer Delta SkyTeam as I can usually swing an upgrade and am wondering if they are preferred partners with Viking Air?

Also, as Viking Air is included, if they book flights for me and later I find a better deal on my own and cancel Viking's flights, will I be penalized?  I know I wouldn't receive the included transfers but wondering if Viking will charge a flight cancellation fee?

Yes, Delta is a preferred airline, but not all routes and seats.

For instance, last year a group of us flew from SEA to AMS.  DH and I were flying business class, Viking Air.  At the time, the cabin we were in offered us a $1999 fare, which we took. Normally we fly direct, but that flight was not available for business class so we flew via MSP.  However, the others we traveled with did get those seats on the direct flight in economy.  When I questioned this, we were told we could get those flights, but it would be a $2000 pp surcharge on the flight.  We passed, as we had no problem sitting in the lounge for a couple hours.

I research options first and determine whether or not we will accept Viking’s offerings.  We have only used it a few times, when it benefitted us financially.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well our first use of Viking Air is a big THUMBS DOWN.

Here is why:

Jan 1 - First notice of our flight itinerary. Return flight 2pm from Vancouver, CA (YVR) to DCA (Regan National DC) was 1 stop in Chicago then on to DCA.

Between 1 Jan and 3 Apr have received 6 flight changes. Now we have a 7am flight to SanFran, then to Chicago then to DCA.

Here is what they don't tell you. At approximately the 65 day mark (we are at 49) the tickets are "paid" and no changes can be made. Well you could pay a $350 "fee" per person and then any additional flight cost changes.

Checked the United www site  and 1-stop flight from YVR to DCA  (economy) at 8:35, 8:40 and 9:00am.

CEH in MD

29 minutes ago, CHuntMD said:

Checked the United www site  and 1-stop flight from YVR to DCA  (economy) at 8:35, 8:40 and 9:00am.

What the UA website shows, and what cruiseline air has available under contract, are two separate universes.  One should never assume that what is shown in one exists in the other.