How do R-class ships handle transatlantic or trans-ocean cruises - rough seas, seasickness, etc.?

JM0115

As R-class ships are relatively small, how do they handle transatlantic voyages? What has been your experience? I understand that it can depend greatly on the weather and sea conditions, but what have you experienced?

1 minute ago, JM0115 said:

As R-class ships are relatively small, how do they handle transatlantic voyages? What has been your experience? I understand that it can depend greatly on the weather and sea conditions, but what have you experienced?

I have cruised multiple times on all the R (and O) ships - often on cruises exceeding a month in duration including transatlantic sand transpacific crossings.

IMO, when you’re talking about an ocean (any ocean), rough weather could care less about ship size. And even sea worthiness, hull design and state-of-the-art stabilizers have their limitations.

That said, you’ll find that, on ocean crossings the ride of O’s R ships will be silky smooth unless it’s not.

C063076D-C7B4-495A-AC7C-E6F70A06F48A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We just sailed Regatta round Australia and to Tasmania.  It was bumpy at times but we never had problems sleeping and we were next to the aft cabins.  Sometimes walking was a problem.

I think its more about weather messing with the seas.  We did a NYC to Quebec cruise in 2016 and were chased up the coast by a hurricane on the Crown Princess.  Needless to say the bed was tiling at least 30 degrees while we tried to sleep.  

• Like 1

Our first Oceania cruise was a trans-Atlantic on Regatta, about 14 years ago, and was my first-ever trans-Atlantic.  The seas were incredibly rough and, occasionally, it was fun to watch the waves hit the windows in Horizons.  Stacks of sea-sickness bags were on every horizontal surface and the ship pitched and yawed a good part of the time.  People walking down the hallways looked like drunken sailors.  Some of the staff were adversely affected so everyone was understanding when food and housekeeping services were a bit slower than usual.  Personally, I took a tumble stepping out of the bathtub/shower (we got hit with a huge wave) and landed painfully on my side/ribs.  The ship's doctor was quite attentive as we sailed to Madeira to be seen at the Clinica da Sé, as arranged by Oceania.

As a side note, the ship's safety officer actually burst into the doctor's exam room, without knocking, while taking pictures so he could show I didn't have any visible injuries.  After that, the doctor locked the door. The ship's GM, when I complained, just shrugged and said he was young and overzealous.

The rough seas didn't last the entire time but they were extraordinarily evident while they were present.

• Like 3

While not on O we did a crossing on Azamara which is the same ship just different cruise line. 

It all depends on the seas. We have sailed into and out of hurricanes in the Atlantic but our trans Atlantic crossing was smooth as silk. We've also sailed the North Atlantic six times and had beautiful seas so you never know. Bonine is my friend!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zalusky said:

We just sailed Regatta round Australia and to Tasmania.  It was bumpy at times but we never had problems sleeping and we were next to the aft cabins.  Sometimes walking was a problem.

I think its more about weather messing with the seas.  We did a NYC to Quebec cruise in 2016 and were chased up the coast by a hurricane on the Crown Princess.  Needless to say the bed was tiling at least 30 degrees while we tried to sleep.  

We were in the aft cabin on that Australia cruise. One night the glasses/wine bottleon the cabin shelf were clanking and woke me up.  I get very seasick even in calm seas.  But crew all recommended GREEN APPLES  for seasickness.  They all said that's what they eat.  I actually brought a few small zip bags so I could keep them in cabin fridge.  

We have only done  ta  ..3rd attempt  ..it was not  3rd time lucky  for us

We had snow  then were in the middle of 2 storm front 

Marina rocked & rolled but  no  injuries to PAX  that I know about

We have hit  rough seas in the Irish sea & the Caribbean sea on the R ships    they were  rocking a bit  but  we just go to the centre of the ship or down to the lower decks 

Do not sit in the front of the theatre or front of Horizons if you suffer from the motion of of the ocean

We take  ginger candies with us .(the Ginger People brand ) .you can get green apples or ginger ale onboard   that helps  me  but for some they need the  meds

Just be prepared for  rough seas  & if they do not happen that is a bonus

Some of the poor crew were suffering last  rough cruise  I shared my ginger candies with him 

When we  left I gave him the bag  of ginger candy  he was grateful

• Like 1

Hello:  I just returned from a 20 day sailing on the SIRENA.  We experienced very lovely seas except for a couple of days when we ran into heavy swells which knocked the ship around.   One show had to be cancelled.  Passengers had to be very careful walking about the ship and in the shower.  My cabin was midship so I didn't have any problems with seasickness but several passengers in forward cabins did.   Good luck!

Deck Chair.

• Like 2

We have done 13 transatlantic cruises(3 on R class ships). The majority have been spring time crossings to the Med on southern routes and have had smooth seas. On a fall crossing from London to Ft Lauderdale we encountered the remnants of a hurricane that had come from the US. In summary, you are less likely to encounter rough seas with a spring crossing taking a southerly route.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We were in the aft cabin on that Australia cruise. One night the glasses/wine bottleon the cabin shelf were clanking and woke me up.  I get very seasick even in calm seas.  But crew all recommended GREEN APPLES  for seasickness.  They all said that's what they eat.  I actually brought a few small zip bags so I could keep them in cabin fridge.  

Where in the itinerary was that?

• Like 1

Aloha.  We were blessed to sail on the Tahitian Princess (No longer with Princess) from Honolulu around the Hawaiian Islands to French Polynesia.  it was a 5 day voyage with a stop in Kiribati. The ship handled well. Keep in mind for most that the size of the R ships are similar to the ships of yesteryear.  i did sail TA on the QM2 in severe weather and that ship handled well also.  Then again the Bay of Biscay and the Drake Passage on larger ship we were tossed and tossed so a lot depends on the sea conditions and weather at the time. I have been cruising since 1971 and I personally believe that sea conditions matter most and it is a personal decision if you are comfortable with the variables.  Sometimes the size truly does not matter.  All the best!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 7:07 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, when you’re talking about an ocean (any ocean), rough weather could care less about ship size. And even sea worthiness, hull design and state-of-the-art stabilizers have their limitations.

I couldn’t agree more!  Regardless the size of the ship, you are on nothing more than a cork floating in a tub of water.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bradpole said:

I couldn’t agree more!  Regardless the size of the ship, you are on nothing more than a cork floating in a tub of water.  

Don't care for that description, but that is about right! 🙂

• Like 1