Carnival Long Beach narcotics dogs

Buffettfan 225

Since last October 2022 sailing the terminal area has increased security with narcotic dogs now. After getting thru metal detectors & baggage screen step one. Clear. Now is a rope line to get to seating area. Three dogs with two wearing narcotic vests. They were very busy and serious. Even heard words random search.   FYI it is cold in here as doors open and it is 52 outside and damp. 

Parking- plenty of spots today at 10:05am. We came in parking entrance on left vs going thru bag drop off, first row is semi reserved, further down are not. We could not find a spot here and rode level up, (which we want as need elevator after getting off ship) we drove up and back down seeing spots on below. Success- backed in (important for east exit as long as no bags in trunk or hatch and parked at 10:05 in bench building seat 10:17. 

Edited by Buffettfan 225
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

Since last October 2022 sailing the terminal area has increased security with narcotic dogs now. After getting thru metal detectors & baggage screen step one. Clear. Now is a rope line to get to seating area. Three dogs with two wearing narcotic vests. They were very busy and serious. Even heard words random search. We were right behind them as busy pulling from line & entered all ok. 😁 FYI it is cold in here as doors open and it is 52 outside and damp. 

Parking- plenty of spots today at 10:05am. We came in parking entrance on left vs going thru bag drop off, first row is semi reserved, further down are not. We could not find a spot here and rode level up, (which we want as need elevator after getting off ship) we drove up and back down seeing spots on below. Success- backed in (important for east exit as long as no bags in trunk or hatch and parked at 10:05 in bench building seat 10:17. 

Thanks for the report and enjoy your cruise.  Carnival said they were stepping up security, which I view as a positive.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

interesting...wonder how the thc folks, which is legal in California, are handling this...

Alcohol, soda and surge protectors are legal as well but Carnival searches people for those.

This isn't about sending people to jail, it's about preventing narcotics from getting on the ship.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, x lindsay x said:

Sailing out of Miami on the Celebration last week everyone was subject to the drug sniffing dogs before boarding. 

Three weeks ago, no issues and walked on. No sniffing.

Personally, while many of you think this is about weed, I disagree. Weed doesn't make people combative and unruly.

I think this is more about what we don't see, oxys, fentynal and heroin. I am willing to bet, they have a nice supply of Naxalone onboard and OD's are a real issue we do not see. It's also to stop trafficking.

"But they sniff us going out, not coming back"

Residue. If you're doing it now, you've likely done it before, so you're have residue on your bags and more. It also makes you more paranoid about trying to bring it back.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

But it does create a terrible stench on balconies. 😖

Do not disagree. 

just seems to me, this is a lot of effort, time and money for something that’s really more a nuisance than a real problem. 
Illegal, yes, but that’s a lot of resources for a little weed. 

• Like 1

The drugs are just quantifiable indicator of the bigger problem, clientele who choose to not follow laws and policies.  The person who overtly chooses to smuggle drugs onboard is likely to snub their nose at the other policies in place to maintain a family environment Carnival wants.  Work to hold the law breakers accountable and you will lessen their impact. 

• Like 4

We do not need to get into another alcohol v. marijuana debate. Nor do we need to hear "marijuana just makes me sleepy" again.

It's federally illegal to use or possess, and not allowed on Carnival ships. End of story.

Whether or not it should be is up to the federal government and Carnival to decide.

Surge protectors aren't allowed on Carnival ships and nobody debates that, it is what it is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Three weeks ago, no issues and walked on. No sniffing.

Personally, while many of you think this is about weed, I disagree. Weed doesn't make people combative and unruly.

I think this is more about what we don't see, oxys, fentynal and heroin. I am willing to bet, they have a nice supply of Naxalone onboard and OD's are a real issue we do not see. It's also to stop trafficking.

"But they sniff us going out, not coming back"

Residue. If you're doing it now, you've likely done it before, so you're have residue on your bags and more. It also makes you more paranoid about trying to bring it back.

You're absolutely correct. Random searches of people getting OFF the ship has drastically increased, as the real concern is trafficking contraband INTO the US. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:58 AM, csm5986142 said:

There were 4 dogs working (2 outside the terminal and 2 inside) when we were there just over a week ago.

Have a great cruise - I hope the weather improves for you!

thank- sunny in Catalina, 55 with some wind. Nice by loungers back pool. 

• Like 1