Bringing alcohol on our cruise.

mklions

Is it still prohibited to bring alcohol onto the ship on embarkation or purchase alcohol ( a few beers) at ports of call to bring onboard?

I know cruise lines vary on this subject but I wonder what is P&O's stance on this?

It would be nice to have a drink on our balcony from time to time.

Thanks,

Mklions

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just been looking at this.

So we can take a litre of vodka and as much decaf diet coke as we want? Normally wouldn't bother re the Coke but have decaf and don't think they do this on the ship.

Yes, to both.

By the way, it's a litre for each guest so fill your boots!😉

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just been looking at this.

So we can take a litre of vodka and as much decaf diet coke as we want? Normally wouldn't bother re the Coke but have decaf and don't think they do this on the ship.

We take a bottle, or 2 of wine, some bottled water and a few coke zero's at embarkation, topped up as necessary at some ports. Not a problem.

• Thanks 1

Is it worth pre buying the bottles and wrapping them in the case, or buying them at the airport and carrying them on as hand luggage? 

I guess now that we are out of the EU we can buy duty free again at the airport?

By the way we are flying to Tenerife to catch Azura in two weeks.

11 minutes ago, mklions said:

Is it worth pre buying the bottles and wrapping them in the case, or buying them at the airport and carrying them on as hand luggage? 

I guess now that we are out of the EU we can buy duty free again at the airport?

By the way we are flying to Tenerife to catch Azura in two weeks.

Normally cheaper to buy in a Spanish supermarket than in the duty free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cjc23 said:

We are departing from Southampton and wondering if we place our 1 litre bottle per person in our suitcases or carry on bag?  Has anyone placed a bottle in each 😉

Admittedly I've only carried on cans of Coke, but I definitely wouldn't put anything in a glass bottle in a suitcase, no matter how well wrapped.  

Yes we did on Iona in December. Actually, we each put a bottle in our large cases and 2 bottles each in our hand luggage. We went through separate scanners at check in and if I'd have been stopped I would have just said that I had both bottles for my husband and myself and he'd already gone through, and he'd have said the same if he'd had been stopped. However, we both just walked through without problem, they weren't bothered about the amounts of alcohol being taken on. 

1 hour ago, cjc23 said:

We are departing from Southampton and wondering if we place our 1 litre bottle per person in our suitcases or carry on bag?  Has anyone placed a bottle in each 😉

Yes, of course.

The security staff at Southampton are not looking for alcohol, only guns, knives etc.

And wine boxes are worth considering !

Edited by wowzz

1 hour ago, cjc23 said:

yes lots of times but I have very good bottle carriers I put in my main luggage brought from Amazon 10 years ago or more, never had a breakage, as Wowzz said they are looking for the important stuff not alcohol ( important to me and wowzz though 😋😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a thought. If you buy any duty free on the ship to take home and are flying, remember to put it in your suitcase/s as it will be confiscated at the airport. We were on a Canary Island cruise last year and a couple had purchased 2 bottles each on board, which was taken off them at the airport!!!

1 hour ago, sagaris said:

Just a thought. If you buy any duty free on the ship to take home and are flying, remember to put it in your suitcase/s as it will be confiscated at the airport. We were on a Canary Island cruise last year and a couple had purchased 2 bottles each on board, which was taken off them at the airport!!!

Well, that was a schoolboy/girl error by them!🤭

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, cjc23 said:

I've done this. They can't possibly match up your suitcase and hand luggage. Take a litre in each. Wrap the suitcase one well in clothes. Enjoy!

All the comments previously made seem to be good advise based on personal experience.

Just to add I met 2 naughty ladies on a Ventura cruise who used to pop into local Spanish supermarkets buy a bottle or 2 of local red wine, were not challenged on bringing them back on board, then poured the contents into an empty bottle of P&O wine. Which then ..... ☺️🍹

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Tfred99 said:

I know someone who puts clear alcohol into water bottles, and brings as much “water” on as they want. Just sayin’

Or rum runners! I take these on because they are plastic therefore lightweight, and watertight/very unlikely to leak. And yes I have been known to fill up at ports especially if I want a particular make of,say, Spanish brandy. I wrap the container up in my jacket and carry it on in a bag. Mind you, I do get a drinks package or pay for drinks; i just like having something special for late night drinks on the balcony.

1 hour ago, swanseaboy said:

I met a fella on a recent cruise who had a 'brolly' in his man bag. He would order a Pepsi and whip out his 'brolly' which turned out to be hollow and full of vodka!! 

Those little bottles that they dish out on aircraft can be purchased in some supermarkets, or on line.