Flight home?

pittnh

My flight home leaves MIA at 12:15pm (Miami cruise port).  Do you think I am able to do a regular departure rather than self-assisted?  I'd prefer not to have to drag my suitcase around if possible.  I vaguely remember around the last day or so doing a survey and telling them your flight time and they assign a tag number/time based on that, is this still the case?

You'll be fine. We had a flight out of Miami during thanksgiving week (meaning it was a busy travel week). Our flight was really late (6pm-ish) and so we tried to stay on the ship as long as possible. We had a departure group #3, which was pretty early, but chose to stay on until the final call to get off the ship. 

We had to wait quite a while for an Uber because of the crowds (around 30min), and still got to the airport by like 10am or 10:30am. Had to sit in the lobby for 4 hours before we could even check our luggage and go into the terminal because you can't check your bags more than 4 hours before the flight. 

We definitely would have made it onto a 12:15 flight. I would have booked a 1pm flight, which is my preferred time, but it wasn't available on my chosen airline.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pittnh said:

My flight home leaves MIA at 12:15pm (Miami cruise port).  Do you think I am able to do a regular departure rather than self-assisted?  I'd prefer not to have to drag my suitcase around if possible.  I vaguely remember around the last day or so doing a survey and telling them your flight time and they assign a tag number/time based on that, is this still the case?

We had a 12:00 flight out of Miami in Nov. #24 debark number and were still at the airport shortly after 9:00AM, and there was fairly heavy traffic.

Edited by MiniChunks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regular departures are generally around 8-9:00.  The last cruising day  you will receive a luggage tag that will provide a number corresponding to an expected departure time.   If you want it earlier or later, you can go to Guest Service and try to get the tag switched.     Most everyone is off the ship by 9 or 9:30.  

OP - You should have no issue with regular departure.  

m

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We have asked our cabin steward to get us a early tag several times, never been a problem. Tags we receive are usually 6,7,or 8.

I thought you did a survey and that's how they assigned tags/departure times?  Is it just random now unless you request an earlier time?

31 minutes ago, pittnh said:

I thought you did a survey and that's how they assigned tags/departure times?  Is it just random now unless you request an earlier time?

There is a brief survey, but I suspect in an effort to minimize the luggage sorting they generally give the certain tag numbers on the each deck unless there are special circumstances.

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

? The first groups after self-assist are like 15 minutes later.

Yes after it takes hours to get the self assists off as 80% plus on the cruise now do it

Edited by Spurschick
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spurschick said:

Yes after it takes hours to get the self assists off as 80% plus on the cruise now do it

You may have had an experience like that, but that is not the norm, especially on anything but the shortest sailings.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:50 PM, Spurschick said:

If you are not self assist then you will be one of the last to get off. Near on everyone these days picks self assist these days.

I'm always off by 8:30 and self assist is not really remotely close to everyone, unless it is a short 3 day cruise. The last thing most people want is to lug two suitcases to breakfast, and than lug them off, and wait in line with them.  So much easier to just get off, grab your bag and go.  

On 2/28/2023 at 4:10 PM, taglovestocruise said:

We have asked our cabin steward to get us an early tag several times, never been a problem. Tags we receive are usually 6,7,or 8.

Why would you ask the cabin attendant to get early luggage tags for you? Fill out the paper work like everyone else. 

Edited by ReneeFLL

19 hours ago, Spurschick said:

The only time we had to wait to get off early with self assist was when the ship wasn’t cleared yet.