Teppanyaki and parents of teens watchout!

14 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

She can order a la carte in the specialty restaurants if she only wants an appetizer, side, dessert, etc. She isn't required to order an entrée. What was happening was that people with the package were ordering extra apps, sides, etc. and would try to feed the 3rd guest using the packages from guests 1&2 who had the SDP. Now, NCL has limits on what the package covers. 

That's a perfect explanation of why NCL started limiting the packages.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, eileeshb said:

My mother was getting away with kids bus fare up until she was 6 months pregnant with me in her late 20s, and I was getting carded for alcohol purchases until my mid 30s.  Most of my family on both sides regularly get our ages underestimated 10 years or more. 

When I was 40 I still looked like an older college student. At 60 I am a disaster!

• Haha 3

They were limiting SDPs, unofficially, on the ships years ago like 2015.  NCL site no such terms yet DW and I had it happen on Spirit and Gem back then and it was just the two of us so no side dealing, just wanted to order what we can eat.

Sit down at table, not even a hello, but ..you are limited to one entree, one above entree, and one below entree.  

I still don’t understand why the OP is upset that his 15 yo daughter was not allowed to order off the children’s menu that is clearly labeled as 12 and under, whether or not those clear rules were bent in other instances. 

I’m equally as confused as to what kind of cheapo forces his 15 yo daughter to order off a children’s menu on a cruise because she wouldn’t be able to eat all the food served to her.  And causes such embarrassment that she’s in tears.  

This entire thread is ridiculous. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes. It is sad that the OP embarrassed her poor, shy daughter to tears because she tried to get away with being cheap and NCL called her out on it. And I am upset that NCL actually let her get away with it at the end of the day. If the OP's daughter could eat a lobster, she could have eaten a piece of chicken or steak with some fried rice. When I was 15, there was no way I would let my mother force me to eat off the kids menu. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If the OP's daughter could eat a lobster, she could have eaten a piece of chicken or steak with some fried rice. 

I think the OP's daughter DID eat the chicken or steak with fried rice or other food as the OP did seem to hint about sharing food since the portions were so large.  The OP was just being cheap about it. If I were the OP's 15 year old kid I would be in tears that my parent forced me to order off the kid's menu to save a few $. 

When we went to Teppanyaki  on the Pearl a few years ago with our granddaughter who was 3 years old at the time, they did require us to pay the full meal price for her as they noted their policy. We did not argue and understood that she was taking up a seat and got to enjoy the show. She barely ate anything but even a few years ago that was NCL's policy.

• Like 2

So my daughter gets on the ship as a child!

She cost only $200 less then us to cruise on said ship.

OK....she's the 3rd guest.  So, according to NCL, she sails for free, even though she's a teen.

Again, I am entering the "beating a dead horse" arena here.  But, I still can't understand the complaint.

• Haha 1

There is a reason a thread like this can turn ugly.  If you get away with things such as your 15 year old teen eating in specialty restaurants without paying then you keep your mouth shut about it.  You don't come to Cruise Critic and look for pity because one restaurant finally called you out on it.

When you book a cruise, the first 2 guests get the specialty dining credit. Anyone else in your cabin you take to that specialty restaurant will have to pay the cover charge or ala carte.  The only exception is if you have a child under 12 and they get chicken nuggets and a juice box.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

People can be a bit… harsh, shall I say, here.

I know, right? People come here and find a discussion forum with a wide and varied amount of opinions when all they really wanted was a support group!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

There is a reason a thread like this can turn ugly.  If you get away with things such as your 15 year old teen eating in specialty restaurants without paying then you keep your mouth shut about it.  You don't come to Cruise Critic and look for pity because one restaurant finally called you out on it.

When you book a cruise, the first 2 guests get the specialty dining credit. Anyone else in your cabin you take to that specialty restaurant will have to pay the cover charge or ala carte.  The only exception is if you have a child under 12 and they get chicken nuggets and a juice box.

This thread has turned ugly.There have been many removed posts.

This thread has turned ugly because the point is that a 15 year old (no matter how lovely and charming and wonderful the parents may believe she is ) is being treated like an adult passenger, and the parents are upset because 5hey got called on the fact that they should have paid the extra $xxxx. Sorry no pity here!

9 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

How many of you posting about how a fifteen year old girl feels has been a fifteen year old girl within the last twenty years?

The OP, for one, has not...so exactly what is your point? Are you saying the OP had no business starting this thread because he hasn't been a fifteen year old girl within the last twenty years?

28 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

How many of you posting about how a fifteen year old girl feels has been a fifteen year old girl within the last twenty years?

🎶 I fEel PreTty…Oh sO pReTtY🎵

OK…I admit I’m a Basil Hayden on the rocks into Saturday Night!  😉

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 2