Silver moon first timer

Batchy65

Hello. We are travelling on the Silver Moon in around 6 weeks and although not our first cruise it's our first one with Silversea.

So i wanted to ask very generally what to expect from the Silversea experience? More particularly I have read a few things about formal nights on board, however, the website does not categorically state that there will be formal nights, so can I ask those with experience of Silversea whether we should expect formal nights and if so is a tuxedo required for men, I presume so but just asking. To clarify our cruise is for 11 nights, not sure that makes any difference. 

Furthermore, we have had some difficulty reserving tables in our desired restaurants on board, is this a common issue?

Finally, do Silversea like most cruise lines allow smoking in designated areas.

Any further relevant information people can be provide will be greatfully received.

5 minutes ago, Batchy65 said:

Hello. We are travelling on the Silver Moon in around 6 weeks and although not our first cruise it's our first one with Silversea.

So i wanted to ask very generally what to expect from the Silversea experience? More particularly I have read a few things about formal nights on board, however, the website does not categorically state that there will be formal nights, so can I ask those with experience of Silversea whether we should expect formal nights and if so is a tuxedo required for men, I presume so but just asking. To clarify our cruise is for 11 nights, not sure that makes any difference. 

Furthermore, we have had some difficulty reserving tables in our desired restaurants on board, is this a common issue?

Finally, do Silversea like most cruise lines allow smoking in designated areas.

Any further relevant information people can be provide will be greatfully received.

Howdy @Batchy65

Thank you for your new topic! However, it is a forum for general questions. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your topic to the Silversea Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Silver Moon frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new replies because they will come looking for you as notifications! If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

7 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

Howdy @Batchy65

Thank you for your new topic! However, it is a forum for general questions. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your topic to the Silversea Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Silver Moon frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new replies because they will come looking for you as notifications! If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

Thank you for the advice.

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard🙂there should be 2 formal nights on an 11 night cruise. If you want to bring a tux, go for it. It is not a requirement though and a suit will do as well.

41 minutes ago, Batchy65 said:

Regarding this question, see a current SS discussion thread regarding La Dame and Silver Note.  The short answer is, yes it is a common issue and that thread contains some explanations and suggestions.  Welcome to Siversea; the Moon is a lovely ship.

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Welcome aboard🙂there should be 2 formal nights on an 11 night cruise. If you want to bring a tux, go for it. It is not a requirement though and a suit will do as well.

Thank you for your response.

4 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Regarding this question, see a current SS discussion thread regarding La Dame and Silver Note.  The short answer is, yes it is a common issue and that thread contains some explanations and suggestions.  Welcome to Siversea; the Moon is a lovely ship.

Thank you I will take a look

And finally, smoking of cigarettes (and vapes, I guess) is allowed on one side of the pool deck.  Cigars are allowed in the Connoisseur's Corner, which on the Moon has both an indoor Lounge and a dedicated outside smoking area.  

• Thanks 1

When you log into “mysilversea” and look at the A TiVo ties calendar, there will be a little bow tie next to the date where it is black tie in the evening. One wouldn’t feel out of place wearing a tuxedo in those nights (there will probably be two) and the same for dark pants and a jacket, which is what my husband wears on those evening. I wear a long dress on formal nights because I welcome an opportunity to really dress up. 
Have a wonderful time! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sunny429 said:

When you log into “mysilversea” and look at the A TiVo ties calendar, there will be a little bow tie next to the date where it is black tie in the evening. One wouldn’t feel out of place wearing a tuxedo in those nights (there will probably be two) and the same for dark pants and a jacket, which is what my husband wears on those evening. I wear a long dress on formal nights because I welcome an opportunity to really dress up. 
Have a wonderful time! 

Thank you. Looked at the calendar and no bow tie but will check once again. Sounds like these nights can be confirmed quite close to sailing.

Yet again the dress code appears on so many topics... nothing wrong with that but dress code is so personal to so many ...as I have posted on many silversea threads ( having cruised with silversea since 2005 😱) it's how you feel about dress code ...my husband & I always dress for dinner ..it's a special time to dine over several hours  but once again it's a personal choice...but really should you be asking how to dress when your on silversea?? Happy cruising 💃🍾👗👔😂 photo of husband on last night of cruise ( for him there is no casual night 🤣

IMG_20191007_194530.jpg

• Like 4

From Silversea website:

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin on board Silver Spirit, Kaiseki on board Muse, Moon and Dawn. Dining at The Grill and Spaccanapoli is optional casual all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Evening Dress Code*   
Number of Cruise Days -> Formal -> Informal -> Casual
4 -> 1 -> 2 -> 1
5 -> 1 -> 3 -> 1  
6 -> 1 -> 3 -> 2  
7 -> 1 -> 3 -> 3
8 -> 1 -> 4 -> 3
9 -> 1 -> 5 -> 3
10 -> 2 -> 5 -> 3
11 -> 2 -> 6 -> 3
12 -> 2 -> 6 -> 4
13 -> 2 -> 7 -> 4
14 -> 3 -> 7 -> 4
15 -> 3 -> 8 -> 4
16 -> 3 -> 8 -> 5
17 -> 3 -> 9 -> 5
18 -> 3 -> 10 -> 5
19 -> 3 -> 10 -> 6
20 -> 3 -> 11 -> 6

We board the Moon in 2 weeks and the ties did finally show up in MySilversea. 
I have read that many times the first formal night will be day 2.
A tux is not required and it is up to you if you want to go formal on formal nights - depends on where you prefer to dine. And a dark suit will suffice in lieu of a tux.

We don't need a breakdown of dress code .. we dress for dinner every night ..yet again it's a personal choice...I have said on many occasions there is no casual night for my dear husband..but he can do casual when appropriate 😂..happy crusing 🥂

IMG_20221106_225055.jpg

IMG_20221103_231955.jpg

IMG-20220613-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20221106_225133.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

OP was uncertain about number of formal nights and folks have tried to clarify, without interjecting judgement or opinion. 
Let’s give OP helpful factual information for packing and planning.

Pack what ever you feel comfortable in ...as I have said on so so many occasions if you have to ask how to dress for dinner !! Well !! How do you dress when you dine out at home .. just enjoy the cruise..each to his own( as we say here in the UK!) Chill relax 💃👗👔🍾 x

Oh no, somebody mentioned bow ties! The one thing you will soon learn Batchy is that real people onboard get a lot less het up about dress codes than they do when sat at home wishing they were onboard too. Yes you might get the extremely occasional one doing a 3 second scan, label check and monetary calculation of your outfit but they are very few and far between. The vast majority of SS passengers are the best company. You will meet fascinating people from all walks of life and you might be chatting to a high court judge wearing a fleece or a minibus driver wearing Tom Ford. I Just wish that SM sites (or should it be S&M?) we’re more reflective of the fabulous people you’ll meet and the fabulous time you will have once onboard. Personally, I seize every opportunity to get dolled up but it certainly doesn’t make me think any less of the people I meet that didn’t. Unless of course they’re wearing Crocs. 😉

• Like 7

I concur with DW.

We are first time SS cruisers and I asked on this forum for clarification for ladies informal night attire. People could not have been more pleasant and welcoming! 

Be aware of the dress code and don’t worry about a tux if you don’t wish to pack one. If you do-great! You don’t have to dress formal on formal night unless you wish to.

Expect to find welcoming, kind people and have a great time. 
How much you choose to dress up, or what you wear, is really not the key to having a fabulous time. 
You may be able to check the roll call for your cruise and find out the specific formal nights for your cruise if it will help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Oh no, somebody mentioned bow ties! ..... we’re more reflective of the fabulous people you’ll meet and the fabulous time you will have once onboard. Personally, I seize every opportunity to get dolled up but it certainly doesn’t make me think any less of the people I meet that didn’t. Unless of course they’re wearing Crocs. 😉

Note to  self ... if cruising with Daveywavey  pack  the Jimmy Choos  and leave the crocs at home  🤭

Edited by rojaan19
typo !
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

Note to  self ... if cruising with Daveywavey  pack  the Jimmy Choos  and leave the crocs at home  🤭

Roj… Loubies are the the go to for anywhere fun, especially the Dandelions, I’ve only one pair of Jimmies but they frankly aren’t the most comfortable and weren’t even selected for my last trip. LV’s are out of the window because they only cater for dwarves at <45eu, I Love my Boss Derbies and I’ve a couple of pairs of velvet winklepickers (electric blue and cadburys purple to match my velvet dj’s) that aren’t too shabby. It was appreciated that the girl in the Ferragamo shop in Dubai airport had clocked my travelling loafers but it wasn’t the highlight of my trip. My gold Versace baroque slippers do also happen to match my bathrobe but i’m sure that’s just lucky coincidence. I Do quite enjoy adorning my trotters in pretty things but I’d never judge anybody else for choosing to adorn their feet in multicoloured dog muzzles. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Roj… I Love my Boss Derbies and I’ve a couple of pairs of velvet winklepickers (electric blue and cadburys purple to match my velvet dj’s) that aren’t too shabby. 

If we cruise together  I want to  see those !!

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

8 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

LOL  

Miss W (now I guess Dr W) and her hubby wore matching/complementary crocs on their wedding night for the reception.  Being Surgeons, crocs are kind of de riguer... and under a long dress no one actually sees them

For the ceremony she actually had Kate Spade Valencia  and he wore Salvatore Ferragamo..

https://zula.sg/kate-spade-summer-shoe-collection/

11 hours ago, Lvshack said:

We don't need a breakdown of dress code .. we dress for dinner every night ..yet again it's a personal choice...I have said on many occasions there is no casual night for my dear husband..but he can do casual when appropriate 😂..happy crusing 🥂

I also like to dress up though over the last 4 or so years it is dark trousers and a colourful jacket. However today was trying on my clothes after a substantial weight loss. Hey Presto I can fit into my dinner suit I wore in my twenties perfectly. There were always balls and formal dinners in rural Australia in the 70s and 80s.

And because it fits perfectly thats what I will wear on formal nights with a colourful bow tie.

But my pink jacket will also go for informal nights.

I frequently wore a Jacket and bow tie even when on the Explorer for significant nights.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 4