Istanbul Hagia Sophia Celebrity excursion question

happyyaya

We will be on a July cruise with Celebrity to Istanbul. I was extremely disappointed to read the details of the Mystic Istanbul excursion I signed up for with Celebrity. It says the tour does not include the "gallery" of St. Sophia. This is the inside and is the main attraction. Does this mean we will only walk around it or drive by it? Has anyone done an excursion in Istanbul to St. Sophia with Celebrity or another cruise line? Any insight here?

• Like 1

It may not be included. Since it's now a mosque and free to enter, I don't think there would be a way for tour group to "cut the line". Also, they may be restoring the mosaics. It's hard to tell. Searching doesn't find much. We are on a July Italy/Istanbul/Greece cruise too. The tour we picked says the same thing. I am thinking that if we can't get in with the tour, then we will get in line early on day 2 to go. It's supposedly pretty empty inside now though to have space for prayer.

10 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

If you're mobile, I recommend going on your own. And we actually like the Blue Mosque more than the Hagia Sofia.

The Blue Mosque is currently under renovation. 

I have to say that Haghia Sophia has so much more history attached than the Blue Mosque, having originally been built in the 500s AD at the height of Byzantine Constantinople. The structure itself is amazing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, happyyaya said:

We will be on a July cruise with Celebrity to Istanbul. I was extremely disappointed to read the details of the Mystic Istanbul excursion I signed up for with Celebrity. It says the tour does not include the "gallery" of St. Sophia. This is the inside and is the main attraction. Does this mean we will only walk around it or drive by it? Has anyone done an excursion in Istanbul to St. Sophia with Celebrity or another cruise line? Any insight here?

The "gallery" refers to the second level of the structure (as shown below), which is reached by a broad staircase. It has a number of excellent mosaics, but it is currently closed for renovation and has been for several years. 

image.thumb.png.8484c57a305c51d35659be738d713757.png  

You can still see the very impressive main area of the building.

Note:  On my first visit to Istanbul, I took a ship tour. I was so disappointed because the guide left the Haghia Sophia until last and -- because of a long lunch that was longer than it needed to be and because of a visit to a carpet store that went on and on, we had little time left for the visit -- it was a quick 5-minute guided walk around the interior, then about 5 minutes on our own. No chance to go upstairs. So I think it was common for shorex to not include the gallery even when it WAS open. I literally had tears of disappointment in my eyes when getting back on the bus. (It was a long and misspent day.)

Moral of the story -- if there is ANY way to tour Istanbul on your own rather than on a ship tour, do it. It's easy to take the tram and get to the Sultanahmet area where most of the main sites are:  Haghia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Hippodrome, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have to say that Haghia Sophia has so much more history attached than the Blue Mosque, having originally been built in the 500s AD at the height of Byzantine Constantinople. The structure itself is amazing.  

Major renovation.   Really a waste of time going to the Blue Mosque as there was really not much to see.  Haghia Sophia is fully open but the crowds in July are a little un nerving. (wear a mask) 

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The "gallery" refers to the second level of the structure (as shown below), which is reached by a broad staircase. It has a number of excellent mosaics, but it is currently closed for renovation and has been for several years. 

image.thumb.png.8484c57a305c51d35659be738d713757.png  

You can still see the very impressive main area of the building.

Note:  On my first visit to Istanbul, I took a ship tour. I was so disappointed because the guide left the Haghia Sophia until last and -- because of a long lunch that was longer than it needed to be and because of a visit to a carpet store that went on and on, we had little time left for the visit -- it was a quick 5-minute guided walk around the interior, then about 5 minutes on our own. No chance to go upstairs. So I think it was common for shorex to not include the gallery even when it WAS open. I literally had tears of disappointment in my eyes when getting back on the bus. (It was a long and misspent day.)

Moral of the story -- if there is ANY way to tour Istanbul on your own rather than on a ship tour, do it. It's easy to take the tram and get to the Sultanahmet area where most of the main sites are:  Haghia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Hippodrome, etc.

That's what I was thinking, but my guide book was a little vague about the galleries. If the OP is on the same cruise as me, then we have have an overnight in Istanbul. Anything that we miss with our tour, I plan to come back for early the next morning. Thank you

• Like 1

We were in Istanbul on a cruise day with NCL in Nov. My first piece of advice is to learn how to take the tram and just walk around on your own. The port traffic is often a gridlock, whereas the tram just whizzes on by. I've traveled quite a bit, and never saw anything like it.  We hopped off our van and walked to the ship. I understand that you can get tour guides who will meet you at the port and go with you by tram. 

We went to Topkapi Palace in the morning, had lunch at the Pudding Cup Restaurant, and then went to the Hagia Sophia. The line wasn't moving, and most in our group of 25 didn't want to wait. The tour guide recommended we give it time as he said the line is stopped for various reasons and then just opens back up. From what we could see, there was no way to get a quick entrance EXCEPT to have an insider cut in line with a friend. It appears some tourists who know whose palm to grease managed to do this, and one was right in front of me.  "They are a friend of our bus driver."  

Hagia Sophia really was worth the wait. The Blue Mosque, as others mentioned, was under renovation and should be avoided until it is really open. Don't waste your time on the Hippodrome, which is nothing more than a monument and a modern park. The Grand Bazaar was only mildly interesting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Don't waste your time on the Hippodrome, which is nothing more than a monument and a modern park.

I would have to disagree. If you are a student of ancient history, the Hippodrome is fascinating. It was the "Circus Maximus" of ancient Constantinople and like its counterpart in Rome, it had a series of monuments lined up in the very center to "show off" the might of the empire. The three (not one) remaining monuments include a fascinating serpentine column of bronze that was originally looted from Delphi (the site of the oracle) in Greece, where it was given as a donation some 2500 years ago in thanks for the Greek victory over the Persians (think '300'). It was originally topped by the heads of three serpents -- one of the serpent heads was found later and can be seen in the Istanbul Archaeological Museum.

The other monuments along the spina are stone. One is an obelisk brought from Egypt, but the more fascinating part of it is the carved marble base that it rests on. The base is one of the few depictions showing several ceremonies involving the imperial family, including one showing the emperor handing the victor's crown to the winner of the races. On another side you can see a very rare Roman water organ depicted as part of the scene. The other column, which looks very weathered, was originally encased in bronze -- its history is not known.

Historically speaking, this is the place where several major riots started, between rival factions supporting different chariot teams. (One, the Nika riots, led to significant damage to Constantinople and the deaths of several thousand spectators....)

Also, if you walk around the hippodrome, at one end the arched supporting structures are well preserved and can be viewed. I've seen various documentaries where explorations have been done in the tunnels that still exist on the inside, but they are not open to the public.

By the way, it is likely that the very famous four bronze horses atop St. Marks in Venice, which were looted from Constantinople during a crusade, were likely sited here as well.

Here's a nice video about the Hippodrome:  

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It us scheduled to reopen on April 21 after a 3 month closure

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would have to disagree. If you are a student of ancient history, the Hippodrome is fascinating. It was the "Circus Maximus" of ancient Constantinople and like its counterpart in Rome, it had a series of monuments lined up in the very center to "show off" the might of the empire. The three (not one) remaining monuments include a fascinating serpentine column of bronze that was originally looted from Delphi (the site of the oracle) in Greece, where it was given as a donation some 2500 years ago in thanks for the Greek victory over the Persians (think '300'). It was originally topped by the heads of three serpents -- one of the serpent heads was found later and can be seen in the Istanbul Archaeological Museum.

The other monuments along the spina are stone. One is an obelisk brought from Egypt, but the more fascinating part of it is the carved marble base that it rests on. The base is one of the few depictions showing several ceremonies involving the imperial family, including one showing the emperor handing the victor's crown to the winner of the races. On another side you can see a very rare Roman water organ depicted as part of the scene. The other column, which looks very weathered, was originally encased in bronze -- its history is not known.

Historically speaking, this is the place where several major riots started, between rival factions supporting different chariot teams. (One, the Nika riots, led to significant damage to Constantinople and the deaths of several thousand spectators....)

Also, if you walk around the hippodrome, at one end the arched supporting structures are well preserved and can be viewed. I've seen various documentaries where explorations have been done in the tunnels that still exist on the inside, but they are not open to the public.

By the way, it is likely that the very famous four bronze horses atop St. Marks in Venice, which were looted from Constantinople during a crusade, were likely sited here as well.

Here's a nice video about the Hippodrome:  

Nice video. I suppose I am comparing hippodromes like the one at Caeserea Martima. If you have only one cruise day in Istanbul, I still contend the Hippodrome is farther down on the list.

6 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

It us scheduled to reopen on April 21 after a 3 month closure

Thanks for the update. As always with these major renovations in old buildings, dates can shift so I would advise continuing to check on the status if planning to visit this season.

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Nice video. I suppose I am comparing hippodromes like the one at Caeserea Martima. If you have only one cruise day in Istanbul, I still contend the Hippodrome is farther down on the list.

It only takes a few minutes and all the attractions, Hahgia, Blue Mosque and Hippodrome are close to each other. Walkable. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TeeRick said:

One suggestion.  Arrange a private tour and check on your Roll Call to see if anybody wants to join and share the cost.

Agreed.

Years ago we booked a private tour with one of the best tour guides in Istanbul, but it was just for the two of us. We were able to see so much more, imo. We even stopped to enjoy a very nice leisurely lunch. It was one of the highlights of our cruise.

7 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Agreed.

Years ago we booked a private tour with one of the best tour guides in Istanbul, but it was just for the two of us. We were able to see so much more, imo. We even stopped to enjoy a very nice leisurely lunch. It was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Can you please share who you used for a private tour guide? Our cruise docks at 4pm and departs next day at 1pm. This does not allow enough time. Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, Zuzu99 said:

Can you please share who you used for a private tour guide? Our cruise docks at 4pm and departs next day at 1pm. This does not allow enough time. Thanks. 

That's terrible!  Whoever scheduled those times should be made to walk the plank. (And yet they will probably "advertise" how they've given you an overnight in Istanbul...)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zuzu99 said:

You can do a night tour. We did a private tour organized out of our roll call of about 6. I don't know the tour company as I did not organize the tour but we took the tram, walked the area around Sultanhamet Square, the nightlife area Taksim Square, Galata Tower. All really cool, walkable  and safe at night. The company I did day tours with was Ephesus Shuttle. We did a day and a half with them and also used them for Ephesus. There are plenty of tour companies. The port of call board on Cruise Critic should have names of guides.

You can actually do Istanbul DIY which I have done after I did those tours. But the first trip I was not confident to do that. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

That's terrible!  Whoever scheduled those times should be made to walk the plank. (And yet they will probably "advertise" how they've given you an overnight in Istanbul...)

And not a lot of choices for shore excursions from Celebrity.

Hopefully, we will find a private tour and split the tour into both the days. But, it is disappointing.

45 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You can do a night tour. We did a private tour organized out of our roll call of about 6. I don't know the tour company as I did not organize the tour but we took the tram, walked the area around Sultanhamet Square, the nightlife area Taksim Square, Galata Tower. All really cool, walkable  and safe at night. The company I did day tours with was Ephesus Shuttle. We did a day and a half with them and also used them for Ephesus. There are plenty of tour companies. The port of call board on Cruise Critic should have names of guides.

You can actually do Istanbul DIY which I have done after I did those tours. But the first trip I was not confident to do that. 

Thank you for all the info.  I actually have Ephesus Shuttle on my list to contact them.