Typical dress code

MICHE99

59 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Things are definitely getting more casual around here. We went to a fancy restaurant the other night, a frequent favorite, and I noticed a lot more people wearing jeans, sneakers, and, yes, baseball hats. (I also saw women in cocktail dresses and heels and men in classy shoes and collared shirts. No more suits and ties, though.) 

I know Viking requests no jeans in the restaurants in the evening, but I don’t remember: do they mention baseball hats? 

I don't think so. Viking makes the mistake of presuming their customers are possessed of common sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Things are definitely getting more casual around here. We went to a fancy restaurant the other night, a frequent favorite, and I noticed a lot more people wearing jeans, sneakers, and, yes, baseball hats. (I also saw women in cocktail dresses and heels and men in classy shoes and collared shirts. No more suits and ties, though.) 

I know Viking requests no jeans in the restaurants in the evening, but I don’t remember: do they mention baseball hats? 

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

No they don’t mention baseball caps. It was simply my contribution to the discussion. These caps are a pet hate of mine. They may be functional in the sun but they could never be called stylish. Hopefully I will not come across someone wearing one at my dinner table.

• Like 2

Probably the most bizarre behavior I've seen at a cruise table was a gentleman with a baseball cap that brought plastic action figures, super heros and dinosaurs to dinner and set them up in front of his dinner plate. He had to be 65. Disney Panama Canal cruise where you sit with same guests every night. By the end half of the 10 person table was absent from seating.

Edited by Vagabond51
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/7/2023 at 12:00 PM, Jim Avery said:

Same here Andy.  As to the few who might need to keep heads covered, seems a more appropriate medical head covering than a ball cap would suffice.  My English mother imparted the same rules as yours..  But then so did my teachers.  I bet just about everyone wearing ball caps in restaurants had mothers that at one time told them to take their hat off at the table....🍹

Please don't get me wrong, I am not in any way promoting men wearing baseball caps in restaurants...I was responding to the person who said that there were men who needed to wear them due to medical needs. As a woman who needs to wear a hat or wig due to cancer, I am sensitive to men who also find themselves in this position. Not all cancer patients wear hats due to chemo, (male or female should not be criticized for wearing hats for chemo either)  some like myself, must wear them because of the cancer itself. On our last cruise I met a male cancer patient in that situation, so I know that occasionally (not to be mistaken with the norm) there are individuals on Viking who are in that category. In my over two years as a face and skull cancer patient, I have never seen or heard of a medical head covering. If there is such a thing, I would want to spare the individual the embarrassment of wearing a medical device on their head in a restaurant. It's embarrassing enough just having to wear a hat or a wig all the time. 

My point is....this is NOT the norm, but we need to give grace where grace is deserved. For the rest of the people who weren't raised with good manners, I do not have any sympathy, take your hat off and keep your bathrobe in your stateroom where it belongs. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

Probably the most bizarre behavior I've seen at a cruise table was a gentleman with a baseball cap that brought plastic action figures, super heros and dinosaurs to dinner and set them up in front of his dinner plate. He had to be 65. Disney Panama Canal cruise where you sit with same guests every night. By the end half of the 10 person table was absent from seating.

Sad actually.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

GENIUS!!!

• Haha 2

On 3/7/2023 at 10:00 AM, Jim Avery said:

Same here Andy.  As to the few who might need to keep heads covered, seems a more appropriate medical head covering than a ball cap would suffice.  My English mother imparted the same rules as yours..  But then so did my teachers.  I bet just about everyone wearing ball caps in restaurants had mothers that at one time told them to take their hat off at the table....🍹

I learned that from Dad and my years in the Marines,  Covers are to worn outdoors not in!

• Like 3

My 90 year old mother is a stickler for no hats at the table.  To my surprise, my 20 year old nephew, abides by that.  He is an outdoorsman, hunter/fisherman and wears his cap everywhere.  When he came to visit us, we took him to a casual dinner.  When we were seated, he took his cap off and said "Grandma said it is impolite to wear a hat at the table".  My husband and I were stunned.  Never though he listened to anything.  We were very proud he has become a fine young man.

• Like 2

I think that Viking could do with employing someone like your dear mother as front of house. Maybe there would be fewer caps, 'Book 'em Danno' shirts, cargo shorts, flip flops and heaven forbid, bath robes. I think there is a reluctance by some of the staff to approach ill-mannered guests and correct their behaviour.

Sometimes it needs the threat that there'll actually be someone at the restaurant entrances enforcing the rules. It's like kindergarten!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

I think that Viking could do with employing someone like your dear mother as front of house. Maybe there would be fewer caps, 'Book 'em Danno' shirts, cargo shorts, flip flops and heaven forbid, bath robes. I think there is a reluctance by some of the staff to approach ill-mannered guests and correct their behaviour.

Sometimes it needs the threat that there'll actually be someone at the restaurant entrances enforcing the rules. It's like kindergarten!

It need to be the gate keeper. Service staff does nothing but kiss butt,

On 3/5/2023 at 12:31 PM, friendlyfifer said:

My advice is to abide by the dress code outlined by the cruise line. You won’t be happy if you are refused entry to a dining room. My pet hate is men who wear a baseball cap at the dinner table. It doesn’t happen often I hasten to add.

Even worse are the men who wear their baseball caps backwards.  I realize that it is totally stupid but I have an irrational hatred of seeing people who wear baseball caps backwards. If you have to wear a baseball cap at least wear it in the manner that it was designed for.

DON

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Even worse are the men who wear their baseball caps backwards.  I realize that it is totally stupid but I have an irrational hatred of seeing people who wear baseball caps backwards. If you have to wear a baseball cap at least wear it in the manner that it was designed for.

DON

Agree. It makes them look stupid.

• Like 1

Dear husband was refused entry to The Restaurant while on our cruise to Bermuda summer of 2021 dressed in new Brooks Brothers bermudas, TABS bermuda socks (bought in Hamilton!), collared shirt and blazer.

Forgot to mention his snazzy dress loafers!  He was a stunner!  But rules against shorts were not eased even in this locale

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Current Vintage said:

Dear husband was refused entry to The Restaurant while on our cruise to Bermuda summer of 2021 dressed in new Brooks Brothers bermudas, TABS bermuda socks (bought in Hamilton!), collared shirt and blazer.

Forgot to mention his snazzy dress loafers!  He was a stunner!  But rules against shorts were not eased even in this locale

A blazer with shorts? Was he wearing a little beanie and carying books?

A Mexican quote I recall fro High School explains why the baseball cap is  part of the identity  of the  idiots that wear them indoors. Muy tipico  de la Region.

Edited by oskidunker

On 3/6/2023 at 12:39 PM, philw1776 said:

Does this restriction apply to wearing my team's football helmet at the dinner table as well?
Asking for a friend.

Football helmets are okay, hockey masks not so much.

Mankinis are okay though.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, MICHE99 said:

Called Annapolis “formal” in that sailing town. 

21 hours ago, sfocruiser said:

standard business attire in Bermuda

53084691-DC79-41EB-A7A5-56F8D9A16F2A.jpeg

Shorts during the day, trousers in the evening for dinner. Basic tropical dress standards

• 4 months later...

We are getting ready to embark on our first Viking cruise.  (It's a river cruise and never been on one although we are experienced cruisers.). Can people wear what I call "dress" t-shirts (ok, sort of an oxymoron; these are nicer ones that have college name or other nice things, e.g., Hawaii, nothing offensive at all) during the day ONLY on the ship?  Can you wear these on shore excursions on Danube river cruise (excluding if going to a cathedral)?  I know I saw a guide before but I cannot seem to find it now. TYIA.