News on Silver Nova

John117

We are booked to sail on Nova at the end of September 2023 and I wondered if anybody had a source where I can find out how the construction/fitting out is progressing? Her first cruise is scheduled for mid August which is just 5 months away now so hopefully she is well underway?

4 hours ago, John117 said:

We are booked to sail on Nova at the end of September 2023 and I wondered if anybody had a source where I can find out how the construction/fitting out is progressing? Her first cruise is scheduled for mid August which is just 5 months away now so hopefully she is well underway?

I was booked on the inaugural voyage in July and that got canceled. I am now on the second voyage in August and I too am hoping the construction schedule is on time for August.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:19 PM, John117 said:

I hope you are not on the 29th September sailing Lisbon to Lisbon via the Azores and Cape Verde as it’s just been changed to a Med cruise. I haven’t seen the email yet, however the London office has confirmed the change, but have no idea why.

I’m getting incredibly frustrated with SS, this is now the third cancellation or screwed up change in just over 12 months.

• Like 1

And before bothering to contact us or our TA, MySilversea has been updated with all the new ports. This is further evidence of Silversea’s total inability to communicate with its guests in a timely manner. BM should hang her head in shame.

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

And before bothering to contact us or our TA, MySilversea has been updated with all the new ports.

And last year we were complaining that the website always lags behind actual changes and notifications. So isn't this a step forward? 🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

And last year we were complaining that the website always lags behind actual changes and notifications. So isn't this a step forward? 🤣

No because the website still shows the cruise as originally booked. Changing one but not the other is confusing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

I hope you are not on the 29th September sailing Lisbon to Lisbon via the Azores and Cape Verde as it’s just been changed to a Med cruise. I haven’t seen the email yet, however the London office has confirmed the change, but have no idea why.

I’m getting incredibly frustrated with SS, this is now the third cancellation or screwed up change in just over 12 months.

Thank you for posting this information. I WAS indeed on this sailing and like you I have checked my silversea and found the new itinerary and of course all the shore excursions I had book have gone!!. As you say the main website still shows the original itinerary but I notice the price has risen significantly.

I did wonder about the cruise when I received an email from Silversea a few weeks back asking me to complete a survey regarding what I hoped to get out of the itinerary.

I am of course waiting for notification of the change from Silversea or my TA and unlike the cheerleaders I don't think changing the whole itinerary is a step forward and shows me what Silversea really think about their customers.

The new itinerary does of course lend itself to offering short breaks to Travel Agents or corporate groups as the new ports have much better access to airports allowing smaller segments to be offered. I will not be interested in the revised cruise.

Please post on here again if you receive any further updates and I will do likewise.

18 minutes ago, John117 said:

Thank you for posting this information. I WAS indeed on this sailing and like you I have checked my silversea and found the new itinerary and of course all the shore excursions I had book have gone!!. As you say the main website still shows the original itinerary but I notice the price has risen significantly.

I did wonder about the cruise when I received an email from Silversea a few weeks back asking me to complete a survey regarding what I hoped to get out of the itinerary.

I am of course waiting for notification of the change from Silversea or my TA and unlike the cheerleaders I don't think changing the whole itinerary is a step forward and shows me what Silversea really think about their customers.

The new itinerary does of course lend itself to offering short breaks to Travel Agents or corporate groups as the new ports have much better access to airports allowing smaller segments to be offered. I will not be interested in the revised cruise.

Please post on here again if you receive any further updates and I will do likewise.

I have still not heard from our TA yet and an email to my London based SS consultant has produced zero response. We had a weird email from the Shore Concierge dept in Monaco on Monday telling us that a tour we had booked in Madeira had been cancelled for ‘operational reasons’, but nothing else.

There has been a certain amount of info gleaned from other TA’s on the site that cannot be mentioned, in summary there will be no compensation offered and guests will be able to ‘request’ a transfer to another voyage.

As our reasons for this cruise, sea days, bridge instruction, the Azores and the Cape Verde islands have all been erased from the itinerary, we will almost certainly cancel it. It is currently well outside any penalty period.

I seriously doubt that we will ever book another cruise with SS that is more than 3 months away from the sailing date.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

I have still not heard from our TA yet and an email to my London based SS consultant has produced zero response. We had a weird email from the Shore Concierge dept in Monaco on Monday telling us that a tour we had booked in Madeira had been cancelled for ‘operational reasons’, but nothing else.

There has been a certain amount of info gleaned from other TA’s on the site that cannot be mentioned, in summary there will be no compensation offered and guests will be able to ‘request’ a transfer to another voyage.

As our reasons for this cruise, sea days, bridge instruction, the Azores and the Cape Verde islands have all been erased from the itinerary, we will almost certainly cancel it. It is currently well outside any penalty period.

I seriously doubt that we will ever book another cruise with SS that is more than 3 months away from the sailing date.

I have emailed our TA now asking for clarification and what are our possible options.

Having read the invoice I received from Silversea via the TA it seems up to 150 days out they will still charge £200 per person admin fee if you cancel plus possibly £50 pp for air cancellation but these will be converted to FCC within 2 years. Within 150 days it is a scale of % charge of deposit.

I also took the opportunity to read the general terms and conditions and the very first page has some alarming statements about what changes Silversea can make to your cruise without paying you compensation or allowing you to cancel free of charge. We have experienced charters on Silversea before and the priority they are given over other passengers!!

Maybe other cruise lines have similar clauses so I will make a point of reading their T&Cs in more detail in future.

3 hours ago, John117 said:

unlike the cheerleaders I don't think changing the whole itinerary is a step forward

@John117 I hope you are not referring to my post above (#7). I used a laughing-with-tears emoji to try to make clear that it was a sarcastic joke, not a serious comment. (Nor am I a SS cheerleader. 😉)

If a change like this was made on a cruise I was booked on, I would be as upset with SS as I'm sure you are.  

I may be wrong but in the UK, if you book the air and cruise via a TA it becomes a Package Holiday and then it is governed by the Passenger Rights / Package holiday legislation which says that major changes to itineraries must be compensated accordingly. Ie if they  change the whole kit and kaboodle you are entitled to a full refund.

It's a while since I read it but that is the gist of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

…in summary there will be no compensation offered and guests will be able to ‘request’ a transfer to another voyage.

If SS fails to offer even a modest 10% off a transferred booking as a gesture of goodwill, then shame on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Contacted my TA again this morning and they still have had no notification, and in fact are still showing the old itinerary on their web site!! They managed to get through to Silversea while I was on hold who confirmed the itinerary change and told my TA the notification had gone out to all TAs. The agent managed to get a copy of the notification sent to her which she has forwarded to me. Surprisingly it starts "Dear Esteemed guest". I don't feel like Silversea hold me in great esteem given they just totally change our cruise and don't even bother to tell us. I have copied the text below not that it tells you much!!

No mention of what options are available to guests who actually preferred the old itinerary and that is why they booked the cruise. Seems to be we think this is a better itinerary so YOU WILL PREFER IT???

I will be writing to BM with a formal complaint if I can find an Address for her!!!

Dear Esteemed Guest,

We are delighted you will be joining us on 29 September 2023 aboard Silver Nova to explore the authentic beauty of Europe. Today, we would like to share an important update regarding your itinerary. 

Due to unforeseen operational reasons, we are obliged to revise your itinerary. Whilst this news may bring some initial disappointment, we are excited to announce that the revised itinerary will still sail from Lisbon; however, Silver Nova will now explore iconic locales on Spain's Mediterranean coast. The revised itinerary's ports of call now include Spain's world-renowned ports of Barcelona and Valencia, with overnights in Málaga and Palma de Mallorca. These changes will enrich your experience with fewer days at sea and more opportunities for immersive discovery of the Iberian Peninsula and the Balearic Island of Mallorca. Some of the highlight ports on your new itinerary include: 

Málaga, Spain, is the birthplace of Picasso, who was baptized in its towering cathedral in 1881. Once an important trading port that boasts influences from the Phoenicians, Moors, and Spanish, visitors are enriched by its many monuments, diverse museums, and the flavour of the Andalusian lifestyle.  

Valencia, Spain, is a city of innovation steadfastly proud of its past dating back as far as 138 BC. This lively face of Spain, famously known for its unique City of Arts and Sciences, offers everything from 15th-century palaces to recent wonders of modern art. 

Barcelona, Spain, a seaside beauty with sprawling beaches, eclectic architecture, and world-class tapas, is often referred to as the Mediterranean's Manhattan. There are so many reasons to fall in love with the city of Gaudi, with its boasting of nine important sites earning the acclaim of UNESCO. 

Palma de Mallorca, Spain, was founded by the Romans more than 2,000 years ago. A regal rose-coloured Gothic cathedral dominates this stunning city's geographic and historical heart. Vibrant neighbourhoods, buzzing public squares, and majestic baroque churches carve through these medieval streets while steep mountains, serene valleys, and broad plains form its varied landscape. 

For your ease of reference, the new itinerary is shared below:

Date

Day

Port

Country

Arrival

Departure

29-Sep-23

Fri

LISBON

Portugal

23:00

30-Sep-23

Sat

Day at Sea

At sea

1-Oct-23

Sun

Casablanca

Morocco

7:00

18:00

2-Oct-23

Mon

Tangier

Morocco

8:00

19:00

3-Oct-23

Tue

Malaga

Spain

4-Oct-23

Wed

Malaga

Spain

14:00

5-Oct-23

Thu

Cartagena, Spain

Spain

18:00

6-Oct-23

Fri

Valencia

Spain

20:00

7-Oct-23

Sat

Barcelona

Spain

8:30

8-Oct-23

Sun

Palamos

Spain

9-Oct-23

Mon

Porto Mahon

Spain

20:00

10-Oct-23

Tue

Palma de Mallorca

Spain

11-Oct-23

Wed

Palma de Mallorca

Spain

12-Oct-23

Thu

Day at sea

At sea

13-Oct-23

Fri

Gibraltar

Gibraltar

21:00

14-Oct-23

Sat

Cadiz

Spain

15-Oct-23

Sun

Day at sea

At sea

16-Oct-23

Mon

LISBON

Portugal

Please note all shore excursion reservations for the previous itinerary will be cancelled so please visit your MySilversea account for shore excursions available in the new ports of call in the coming days. 

Thank you for your kind attention and understanding. We are delighted to unveil this magnificent Iberian Mediterranean itinerary where senses come alive with the enchanting history, food, art, and natural splendour of this celebrated region.

Best personal regards,

Barbara Muckermann

President and CEO

This will have been written by the same marketing flunky who wrote the change communication for our Dawn cruise last year and who obviously hates sea days.

Putting that aside, thanks @John117 for posting it in its entirety.

You could write to BM via the Guest Relations department in London or you can contact her by email barbaram@silversea.com

• Like 2

I hope that I will not be accused of being too cynical, but I might suggest that the new Itinerary Posted above would make it far easier for The Corporate Office to Offer Travel Agents etc a few days aboard the new Ship to experience the myriad new Features. Why should this be a concern to those Guests who have had their chosen Itinerary decimated I cannot imagine ??. I wonder who Silversea value more ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:35 AM, Stumblefoot said:

If SS fails to offer even a modest 10% off a transferred booking as a gesture of goodwill, then shame on them.

I would think SS would do something like that….I can’t see a company not taking care of its customers.  At least one would think so……..

Unfortunately the level of arrogance displayed in the Letter sent to ' Esteemed ' Guests as shown above, does not seem to portray a Company in any way interested in maintaining good Customer Relations. Whilst those of us that have been travelling woth Silversea for many years accept that their Communications have always been a weak area, this latest effort appears to  reach an all time low.

I too would like to believe that the matter of Compensation etc was an unintended omission from the Letter but now I am not so sure.

All very unfortunate for the Pre Booked Guests involved and somewhat worrying for those of us that have enjoyed The Line so much over the Years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mayflower1 said:

Unfortunately the level of arrogance displayed in the Letter sent to ' Esteemed ' Guests as shown above, does not seem to portray a Company in any way interested in maintaining good Customer Relations. Whilst those of us that have been travelling woth Silversea for many years accept that their Communications have always been a weak area, this latest effort appears to  reach an all time low.

I too would like to believe that the matter of Compensation etc was an unintended omission from the Letter but now I am not so sure.

All very unfortunate for the Pre Booked Guests involved and somewhat worrying for those of us that have enjoyed The Line so much over the Years.

I agree 100% with your post but I need to correct one point. This "Esteemed Guest" has still not been advised by Silversea either by letter or email. I suspect Silver Spectre who posted above and is also booked on this cruise has not had any communication either over a week since the itinerary was changed.

The letter posted above was reluctantly sent to my TA by Silversea after she pestered them for some information and she forwarded it onto me.

So it would appear that Silversea are actually worse than you first thought? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John117 said:

I agree 100% with your post but I need to correct one point. This "Esteemed Guest" has still not been advised by Silversea either by letter or email. I suspect Silver Spectre who posted above and is also booked on this cruise has not had any communication either over a week since the itinerary was changed.

The letter posted above was reluctantly sent to my TA by Silversea after she pestered them for some information and she forwarded it onto me.

So it would appear that Silversea are actually worse than you first thought? 

Unfortunately correct.