Yet more laundry questions...

alyssamma

I've been reading through the posts and have gotten most of my Qs answered, but still have a few outstanding...

1) I'm on a 9 day cruise and want to get the "fill a bag" deal. Right now I can buy it under "manage my cruise", but need to wait until I'm onboard (have OBC from my TA that won't hit until then). I understand it will cost more, but wanted to make sure that, since it's available pre-cruise I should be able to buy it once onboard. Is this correct?

2) Given the above is correct, do I simply talk to my room steward or is there some other process?

3) I've seen others mention writing "cold water only" on the bags...does this work or do they ignore it?

4) Since everything is washed in hot, how do they ensure someone else's red shirt won't bleed all over your stuff?

TIA

There really no need to wait to buy the Laundry Bag deal pre-cruise.    Your Agent OBC is fully refundable and will be applied to your CC if you don' use it.   Only the OBC offered by Celebrity is NR.

Most of the time the Laundry Bag deal is offered once on board but not always.    To use you have to wait until it is published in the daily and then I believe you write Laundry Bag Deal on the slip.   If you send you laundry out without a Laundry Bag deal you will be charged at the applicable piece price.

I've never had a problem with other's red laundry bleeding or damaging my laundry. Possibly others have.    There is a good chance that your all cotton items may shrink which is common of hot water washing.

If you have something that is delicate you may wish to pay the additional and have it dry cleaned.   While they may follow Cold Water requests it is not certain.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

There really no need to wait to buy the Laundry Bag deal pre-cruise.    Your Agent OBC is fully refundable and will be applied to your CC if you don' use it.   Only the OBC offered by Celebrity is NR.

Yes, aware of this, but I just prefer to do it this way anyway...

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

I've been reading through the posts and have gotten most of my Qs answered, but still have a few outstanding...

1) I'm on a 9 day cruise and want to get the "fill a bag" deal. Right now I can buy it under "manage my cruise", but need to wait until I'm onboard (have OBC from my TA that won't hit until then). I understand it will cost more, but wanted to make sure that, since it's available pre-cruise I should be able to buy it once onboard. Is this correct?

TIA

How much is the "fill a bag" in the Manage My Cruise?

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

Yes, aware of this, but I just prefer to do it this way anyway...

Understand.   Was just trying to point out that the price on board will be higher than pre-purchase.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alyssamma said:

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Was just trying to point out that the price on board will be higher than pre-purchase.

Yeah, see above...I stated that 🙂

But seriously, no sarcasm, thanks for pointing that out because many other people might not know that and then be pissed when they get onboard.

For me, it's $10 extra and I have more OBC than I know what to do with so am fine paying that extra.

This is a cruise in the middle of a month long trip that involves another cruise too, so was trying to do laundry on the ship. But it seems too complicated (for my purposes) and will just get a hotel on land with laundry facilities. (I'm on land for 2 days after this cruise).

Thanks everyone for the quick and detailed answers...

4 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Maybe.   Sometimes offered sometimes not

2) Given the above is correct, do I simply talk to my room steward or is there some other process?

You would get a notice in your cabin or daily program. Can also ask your steward 

3) I've seen others mention writing "cold water only" on the bags...does this work or do they ignore it?

No.  They cannot because of health issues.   Cannot risk germs from one person's laundry passing to others

4) Since everything is washed in hot, how do they ensure someone else's red shirt won't bleed all over your stuff?

Think you know this answer.  Anything fragile or prone to fading wash it yourself in the sink or leave it at home.

TIA

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

For my 4th Q about "red shirt", I meant someone else's. If I put my white underwear to be washed, I don't want them coming back pink because someone else put a red shirt in there...

On 3/6/2023 at 10:01 PM, alyssamma said:

For my 4th Q about "red shirt", I meant someone else's. If I put my white underwear to be washed, I don't want them coming back pink because someone else put a red shirt in there...

Honestly they are not that unaware that they would do something like that.  I've done laundry on Celebrity probably more than a hundred times (I've done a lot of cruising since retirement and had a lot of free laundry due to Captains Club status), and out of all those washes only once did I have an issue and it was a small one - a pair of dark socks came back lighter than they went in.

• Thanks 1

I’m going to pre-purchase laundry bag “packages” for my Celebrity Beyond sailing this summer.  It lets me select the passenger and the number of bags per passenger.  We’re traveling with our teenagers in a Sky Suite.  I assume we can combine all our laundry together and it doesn’t need to be passenger specific.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.  How big is the bag?  I’m trying to decide how many to buy.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, brazcons said:

I’m going to pre-purchase laundry bag “packages” for my Celebrity Beyond sailing this summer.  It lets me select the passenger and the number of bags per passenger.  We’re traveling with our teenagers in a Sky Suite.  I assume we can combine all our laundry together and it doesn’t need to be passenger specific.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.  How big is the bag?  I’m trying to decide how many to buy.  Thanks!

You can find youtube videos of people filling the bag, but it's like 10 pieces of regular knit clothing or 5 pieces of thicker clothing (like a sweatshirt or jeans). It's not that big and sometimes the paper bag is prone to ripping if you stuff it too full - you might need to pre-compress/fold/roll your clothing to have it fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brazcons said:

You can certainly mix clothing from multiple passengers in the bag.  The passenger stuff during purchasing is really just who is paying.

The bag isn't all that big but you can generally get quite a bit into it.  Certain Captains Club members get the bag as a perk and there it's advertised as 30 piece max.

Rolling items up works pretty well.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 9:01 PM, alyssamma said:

Understand.   Laundry is dumped out of "your bag" on a table.  Whites and lights like underwear are put into a mesh bag and washed with lots of other bags.  You whites won't be pink but not likely to be as white as when you wash at home.

Heavier stuff usually gets a laundry tag and is washed with "similar" colors.

It is not perfect.  DW whites come back less than a bright white.  Fragile things or jeans truly need to be washed in the sink using shampoo.  Rolled up in a bath towel.  Walk on the towel and hang to dry.  Jeans 2 days.  All else overnight.  A steamy shower takes care of most wrinkles.

Utube has videos that show the bag size and how to wash on board.  A couple pairs of Levi's would fill a bag.

We also have done lots of laundry.  Had colored items faded.  Some fragile items shrunk - our fault as they said no hot wash.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Understand.   Laundry is dumped out of "your bag" on a table.  Whites and lights like underwear are put into a mesh bag and washed with lots of other bags.  You whites won't be pink but not likely to be as white as when you wash at home.

Heavier stuff usually gets a laundry tag and is washed with "similar" colors.

It is not perfect.  DW whites come back less than a bright white.  Fragile things or jeans truly need to be washed in the sink using shampoo.  Rolled up in a bath towel.  Walk on the towel and hang to dry.  Jeans 2 days.  All else overnight.  A steamy shower takes care of most wrinkles.

Utube has videos that show the bag size and how to wash on board.  A couple pairs of Levi's would fill a bag.

We also have done lots of laundry.  Had colored items faded.  Some fragile items shrunk - our fault as they said no hot wash.

Thanks for this SUPER detailed response