Brand new to NCL, lots of questions

MKESail

2 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

We sailed on the Pearl in September 2022. We enjoyed eating lunch at the "Summer Palace" the day of embarkation. It was quiet, less crazy and less stressful. We always like to eat at a sit down restaurant on that day. While we were eating lunch, they announced all cabins were available.

If you do eat at the Summer Palace, ask if Cherry is working. She was a waitress there for breakfast, and we ate there for breakfast each day. She didn't work the lunch shift, but her schedule may have changed. We weren't the only ones asking to sit in her section at breakfast. We never ate at the buffet, but ate at the free sit down restaurants and specialty ones, as we had the 2 specialty dining package.

If you have a specialty dining option, go eat at Le Bistro. It was the best food of all the restaurants and Cherry happened to work there during dinner. 

The entertainment wasn't the greatest on the Pearl, so don't expect much. Are you booking excursions through the ship or privately?

We did the excursions through the ship, as the $50 discount made it affordable. Although when we sailed to Bermuda, which I think you are doing, I booked a private tour of the island on the first day and after the guy never showed, we caught another private tour with another couple on the dock. We really enjoyed it. We did book the beach excursion through the ship, as it was the last day and I didn't want to take the chance and miss the ship.

Thank you, yes, I was going to ask about entertainment, kinda figured I shouldn’t expect much on a smaller ship like that. 

We do have one excursion booked through NCL just to burn the FAS credit. Yes, it is Bermuda, we have been there before, as of right now the plan is to just head to Horseshoe bay the rest of the days. 

On 3/7/2023 at 1:38 PM, mizLORInj said:

On the Pearl I wouldn't worry about dining reservations.  I've sailed its sisters, Gem and Jewel, and never had dining issues on any of the many cruises.   

Embarkation day one of the 2 dining rooms will be open for lunch.  At least they used to be.   One is aft and one is mid-ship.   

If you're on the same reservation, you will get the same check-in slot.

Remember that Norwegian does not allow you to bring ANY beverages on board (unlike most other lines that let you bring your own water, soda, and/or bottle(s) of wine per cabin).   I do not like this Norwegian policy.   Even if you bring water the SHIP gave you off the ship, it will be taken away when you come back to the ship.   

Actually this isn't true on the ship I was just on in October. I brought a bottle of water off the ship and when I returned, they were allowed to be brought back on. At one port there was a bit of confusion, at first the person said I couldn't and then I dumped it, and someone else working said I could have brought the bottle of water back on. The next ports they didn't even ask or question me bringing a bottle of water back on the ship.

11 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

Actually this isn't true on the ship I was just on in October. I brought a bottle of water off the ship and when I returned, they were allowed to be brought back on. At one port there was a bit of confusion, at first the person said I couldn't and then I dumped it, and someone else working said I could have brought the bottle of water back on. The next ports they didn't even ask or question me bringing a bottle of water back on the ship.

I guess it depends on the port and who is at the security station.   My bottle of water was taken at security checkpoint in Port Canaveral which was the first stop on the cruise from NYC.  After that I didn't bother carrying water back onboard. 

Suggestion for you:  Somewhere during your cruise should be a "How To Run A Floating Hotel".  It is a Question and Answer Session presented by the Senior Hotel Management staff.  Sometimes it is combine with a Qand A by the Captain and Chief Engineer.  Very informative

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all your responses, a couple more questions.

1. Luggage tags - do I print those out after I complete the check in?

2. Dailies…. something (Cruise Compass in Royal lingo 😜) - I understand that the hard copy is placed in my room the night before. Is the schedule of activities also available in the app?

22 minutes ago, MKESail said:

Luggage tags - do I print those out after I complete the check in?

On your eDocs, once check-in is complete, is a link to download your tags (well, one but you can print as many as you need for your cabin).  It's near the little suitcase picture (VERY easy to miss).  It's in the "at the pier" section, says "print luggage tags here" and the word 'here' is the link to print them.

24 minutes ago, MKESail said:

Is the schedule of activities also available in the app?

Yes, it should be.  You can even mark items that you're interested in but that does not trigger a notification that the event is happening soon.  If a supplement or replacement needs to be issued (because of a surprise sea day) the app, surprisingly, may NOT reflect those updates initially.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MKESail said:

Thank you for all your responses, a couple more questions.

1. Luggage tags - do I print those out after I complete the check in?

2. Dailies…. something (Cruise Compass in Royal lingo 😜) - I understand that the hard copy is placed in my room the night before. Is the schedule of activities also available in the app?

Yes print out the luggage tags, if you are flying don't attach until after the flight, so they don't get lost. I always put extra luggage tags and put in the luggage in case the tags get ripped off..

Dailies used to arrive in the evening, I have not sailed since they cut back to one service per day, someone hear can probably say if they put in rooms, or leave by the door.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Biffire said:

if you are flying don't attach until after the flight, so they don't get lost.

Thanks, I forgot that important piece of info.  I also like to use the luggage tag holders - plastic sleeves that attach to the suitcase with a metal wire loop.  I put one on my suitcase and one on my carry-on.  My luggage tags (both the cruise line one and a regular travel one) got torn off my bag on my first ever cruise.  I was at guest services at 9:30 at night getting my suitcase.

4 minutes ago, Biffire said:

I have not sailed since they cut back to one service per day, someone hear can probably say if they put in rooms, or leave by the door.

I've seen someone post about that - if your indicator light is not set to DnD or 'home' then the steward (or someone) will do a 'drive-by' and drop it on the bed.  Otherwise - it'll be outside the room, on the door handle or tucked into the room number placard on the wall.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 12:28 PM, Biffire said:

I always put extra luggage tags and put in the luggage in case the tags get ripped off.

Will NCL open the luggage if this happens?  I would think they would just wait until somebody shows up to claim it.

11 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

Will NCL open the luggage if this happens?  I would think they would just wait until somebody shows up to claim it.

Unlike TSA, NCL does not have pass keys to open luggage. Any luggage without tags are collected along with bags with contraband in the "naughty room". You spend a [long] while in line waiting to collect your bag as others have their bags searched for prohibited items. 

We always put a tag on the top handle of our suitcase and side handle.... hoping that one survives. 🙂 

Edited by BirdTravels

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Unlike TSA, NCL does not have pass keys to open luggage. Any luggage without tags are collected along with bags with contraband in the "naughty room".

So, those who put copies of their tags inside their bags are just wasting their time/paper/ink?

22 hours ago, EngrJones said:

So, those who put copies of their tags inside their bags are just wasting their time/paper/ink?

I never lock the bags, the locks won't keep anyone out. Having the tag in the bags help you prove it is yours, if you have to claim it in the naughty room.

The Pearl's a great ship - the waiting area to board it in Boston is just a bunch of folding chairs in a gigantic hall (and the Haven waiting area is the same, only behind a curtain and even more crowded). So arriving closer to 11 or 11:30 might mean a swifter passage from literal check in/receipt of key card to actual boarding. Otherwise it's sit down on a hard folding chair and wait. Some like to get there early and get an early boarding number and enjoy the anticipation. Or you can come a little later and have a later # but a shorter wait. 

The dining room is a great place to start your cruise and leisurely dine until rooms are ready.

• Thanks 1

I'm new to NCL as well and have a similar question about excursion availability. Now, we're not sailing until January 2024 but right now there are only 7 excursions listed. We sailed on Carnival in February and months earlier, there were dozens of excursions listed. We're sailing on Celebrity in September and same thing, we booked last September and there were a bunch of excursions available. Is this just an NCL thing? Will they have more excursions available closer to the sailing, or are there generally minimal offerings on NCL?

33 minutes ago, PH2 said:

I'm new to NCL as well and have a similar question about excursion availability. Now, we're not sailing until January 2024 but right now there are only 7 excursions listed. We sailed on Carnival in February and months earlier, there were dozens of excursions listed. We're sailing on Celebrity in September and same thing, we booked last September and there were a bunch of excursions available. Is this just an NCL thing? Will they have more excursions available closer to the sailing, or are there generally minimal offerings on NCL?

I think it's an NCL thing. Our cruise is coming up in November and only recently have I had the ability to review and book excursions.

• Like 1

Regaqrding luggage tags I always print two per bag.  Then I fold the blank paper over down each side so I have 3 thicknesses and I encase both sides in clear packing tape for a sturdy tag.  At the hotel I borrow a stapler (or bring my own) and attach one to each handle.

Inside each bag I put a sheet of paper showing my entire itinerary (planes, hotels, ship, stateroom, mobile phone, home address, e-mail and dates/times for each step) so that should I get seperated from a bag they have a good chance of getting it to me somewhere.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I was reading more and had another question. I've always gave my luggage to the porters and had it delivered to my room later that day. I did end up fishing my luggage by some random room on the other side of the ship more times than I care to remember (regardless of how much I tipped) 😞 but I just saw someone say that I could bring all of my luggage with me when I board, instead of giving it to the porters, then drop it off in the MDR or somewhere and pick it up myself once my room is available. Experienced NCL cruisers, what do you usually do, which way do you prefer and why?

8 minutes ago, MKESail said:

So I was reading more and had another question. I've always gave my luggage to the porters and had it delivered to my room later that day. I did end up fishing my luggage by some random room on the other side of the ship more times than I care to remember (regardless of how much I tipped) 😞 but I just saw someone say that I could bring all of my luggage with me when I board, instead of giving it to the porters, then drop it off in the MDR or somewhere and pick it up myself once my room is available. Experienced NCL cruisers, what do you usually do, which way do you prefer and why?

Not all ships have a place to store luggage. We give it to the porters, we’ve never had an issue getting it, and head to the open MDR for lunch. By the time we are done eating our cabins are ready.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MKESail said:

On three of our four voyages with NCL, we had the porters take our bag. Our first cruise, we only brought backpacks. No luggage. We could still do that, but don't have space for trinkets, so bring a small duffel bag with us. 

In Sept. we received our bag around 4 PM. In Dec. and March we were given our bag between 6 and 8 PM. Always first day of the cruise. We pack everything we need in our backpack for that first day, so it doesn't matter when the bag shows up to us. Last cruise, the bag wasn't delivered to us. My husband found it twenty doors down in the hallway. 

We'll always use the porters as we don't want to carry our duffel around. That would be annoying when using the pool, running to the hot tub, to the restroom, getting food, etc. It gets to us when it gets to us. We don't really care. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MKESail said:

I did end up fishing my luggage by some random room on the other side of the ship more times than I care to remember (regardless of how much I tipped) 😞 but I just saw someone say that I could bring all of my luggage with me when I board, instead of giving it to the porters, then drop it off in the MDR or somewhere and pick it up myself once my room is available. Experienced NCL cruisers, what do you usually do, which way do you prefer and why?

you can bring all your luggage on board, but it has to be able to pass through the x-ray machine at the pier, so you can do this with carry on size luggage only. and you (and/or your companions) have to be able to carry and maneuver whatever you bring on by yourselves. i bring a single carryon bag (on wheels) on board myself, along with a laptop bag/briefcase. but i check a larger bag. Wheeling a single carryon bag with briefcase is relatively easy, much the same as going to the airport. Anything larger you can't bring on board. and more bags than that becomes unwieldy. You don't really want to spend the first few hours of your vacation dragging your luggage all over the ship.

one exception: if you're in a suite or in the haven, you can typically drop your bags in the room, even if the room hasn't been completely made up yet.

as for your bag being misdirected on board, even though you may have tipped... the porter you tipped at the pier has nothing to do with on board delivery of your bag. his or her responsibility is only to load your luggage on a cart and get that cart to the ship, whereupon the ship's staff immediately takes over and is responsible for delivering your bag(s) to your cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MKESail said:

which way do you prefer and why?

I only carry on that which I'm comfortable carrying for a couple hours.  I have a small backpack that is enough for my camera, a water bottle (or two) and (if I really wanted) a swimsuit.  The rest goes in the checked bag with the porters.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

you can bring all your luggage on board, but it has to be able to pass through the x-ray machine at the pier, so you can do this with carry on size luggage only. and you (and/or your companions) have to be able to carry and maneuver whatever you bring on by yourselves. i bring a single carryon bag (on wheels) on board myself, along with a laptop bag/briefcase. but i check a larger bag. Wheeling a single carryon bag with briefcase is relatively easy, much the same as going to the airport. Anything larger you can't bring on board. and more bags than that becomes unwieldy. You don't really want to spend the first few hours of your vacation dragging your luggage all over the ship.

one exception: if you're in a suite or in the haven, you can typically drop your bags in the room, even if the room hasn't been completely made up yet.

as for your bag being misdirected on board, even though you may have tipped... the porter you tipped at the pier has nothing to do with on board delivery of your bag. his or her responsibility is only to load your luggage on a cart and get that cart to the ship, whereupon the ship's staff immediately takes over and is responsible for delivering your bag(s) to your cabin.

This is exactly the info I was looking for thank you! I do usually bring along only the stuff I am comfortable carrying for several hours but this “drop off at the MDR” was never an option or at least I didnt know about it so it got me all wondering if I should do it. Having to go through xray machine with it and all… yeah I’ll pass.