Luggage Direct!

pmjnh

Luggage Direct is currently offered only in Fort Lauderdale and Seattle. We used it for the first time in Fort Lauderdale when we disembarked the Zaandam. We were a bit nervous about using it but it worked flawlessly. For a mere $25 pp. the ship checked us in to our flight, printed and delivered our boarding passes to our cabin the night before disembarking, gave us "final destination"  luggage tags on our 3 suitcases and whisked them off the ship the next morning. We did not see our luggage again til we claimed them at out final destination airport. (I did check my apple air tags to keep track) I was nervous about checking in for our flight because it was Southwest and I was afraid of getting a C boarding group...but nope, a low number /B ...note I received from the ship said our check in was an "advanced check in".

Just wanted to share this as it is well worth the price.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

We would love to Cruise again before it is really impossible due to age and health problems,  the use of the "direct luggage service", might be one way to make it possible.  

Hope and pray your health is improving.  God Bless.

Edited by boards
  • Like 2

On a related note, we used a private company called Luggage Forward to ship our large suitcases prior to our most recent cruise on the NS last November.  This enabled us to travel with only small backpacks on our flights.  We’ve already booked them again for our April Panama Canal cruise.  It was about $145 for a big, heavy bag, which isn’t cheap, but super convenient.  UPS came to our house about ten days prior to sailing and picked up the bags.  I put AirTags in them and was this able to monitor their voyage across the country.  After we boarded he NS (which was originally scheduled to depart at 4, but had been moved to 3 a couple weeks out from sailing), I called the company’s help line to let them know my bags were still sitting at the location they had been for several days near the port - which I could track on my phone.  She put me on hold and obviously called their local rep, as I saw my bags start to move before she even got back on the call with me.  By the time we finished lunch at the Lido, our bags were in our stateroom.

I think it’s a great service for anyone who has a harder time flying these days or for whom eliminating the hassle of dealing with large luggage is desired.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ASIWISH said:

How did you sign up for it?

1 hour ago, Nanner said:

You sign up aboard the ship. It really is a great deal.

Or you can sign up for it before your cruise.  Here's some more information.  Scroll down a little and you'll see the section about Luggage Direct.  https://maketraveleasier.com/holland/services  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ASIWISH said:

How did you sign up for it?

About 4 days before disembarkation, the Luggage Direct flyer /form was placed in our cabin.

Edited by pmjnh
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I checked the link above, but it sounds like that is a service that would take your bags to/from the ship where you'd not need to collect them at the airport. I've heard of such a service, but I believe it's called something like "Luggage Forward" or something similar. It's very expensive and we have never needed or used it.

We only need the service where our bags are picked up outside our cabin the last night of the cruise, and we don't see them again until we collect them at our "home" airport. That service used to cost around $25-$50 from Port Everglades, I think  with RCI/Celebrity/Princess? We're not used that service for some time. It was very handy and well worth the cost for us!😎

Anyway, reading that link, it does not sound like that is what is offered. Sounds more like Luggage Forward or whatever that service is called. Can anyone please confirm the "cabin to last airport for $25 <per bag?>" is still available for most airlines for the airports used by Port Everglades? If you can post a copy of the form passengers use near the end of the cruise that would be helpful also. Thanks very much!

Doug

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I checked the link above, but it sounds like that is a service that would take your bags to/from the ship where you'd not need to collect them at the airport. I've heard of such a service, but I believe it's called something like "Luggage Forward" or something similar. It's very expensive and we have never needed or used it.

We only need the service where our bags are picked up outside our cabin the last night of the cruise, and we don't see them again until we collect them at our "home" airport. That service used to cost around $25-$50 from Port Everglades, I think  with RCI/Celebrity/Princess? We're not used that service for some time. It was very handy and well worth the cost for us!😎

Anyway, reading that link, it does not sound like that is what is offered. Sounds more like Luggage Forward or whatever that service is called. Can anyone please confirm the "cabin to last airport for $25 <per bag?>" is still available for most airlines for the airports used by Port Everglades? If you can post a copy of the form passengers use near the end of the cruise that would be helpful also. Thanks very much!

Doug

See post #1 above.

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

See post #1 above.

Well yes, I read that. My post was that I'd like to see something official from HAL about that service. However, I re-read the link above, and this time clicked HERE <Sign up>  which does lead to a section that has information on the "Luggage Direct".

So, for those looking for information and prices for "Luggage Direct" (your cabin to your final airport), click on the link (HERE) and read about Luggage Direct.

Doug

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We're ending a HAL cruise at Port Everglades on 28 October 2023. We've used Luggage Direct, or whatever other cruise lines call it, to have our luggage picked up outside our cabin the last night and we don't touch it again until our final flights destination. It's very handy and not expensive.

I've been trying in vain the last few days to sign up. Here's the error I get below. I've got the correct ship name and disembarkation date...I've double checked both! <g>

https://maketraveleasier.com/holland/Order

image.png.81901db805f201c7185ee772c1a74c64.png

Be aware that this service does not require that you set it up prior to your cruise. Once on board and a few days prior to disembarkation HAL will send paperwork to your stateroom for you to use to sign up for the service. I've done it both ways without problems. 

Wishing you a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, regnig said:

Be aware that this service does not require that you set it up prior to your cruise. Once on board and a few days prior to disembarkation HAL will send paperwork to your stateroom for you to use to sign up for the service. I've done it both ways without problems. 

Wishing you a wonderful cruise. 

Roger that, I just figured I'd set it up early if possible. I'll keep an eye out for the Luggage Direct advertisement when on board.

Doug

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Roger that, I just figured I'd set it up early if possible. I'll keep an eye out for the Luggage Direct advertisement when on board.

Doug

I use it every time it's offered on board and have never set it up in advance. Strange, though, you get an error; seems you should be able to do it in advance if the port and airline participates.

Is your airline one that participates? Not all airlines do.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

How does it work if you have Free Bags due to your airline status (American)?  

You note $0 cost and your AA advantage number on the form (there's a place for both those). It works - I do it every time both in FL and SeaTac. FL you still pay the $25 program fee (charged to your cabin statement so can use OBC) but SeaTac it's free - paid for by Seattle.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

You note $0 cost and your AA advantage number on the form (there's a place for both those). It works - I do it every time both in FL and SeaTac. FL you still pay the $25 program fee (charged to your cabin statement so can use OBC) but SeaTac it's free - paid for by Seattle.

How about my wife's.  She gets the free bags but only when traveling with me.

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

How about my wife's.  She gets the free bags but only when traveling with me.

W/American Airlines, all the people on same booking get the benefits of the highest level traveler. So if you have the benefits and she has the same AA record locator number as you, she will get free bags when using Luggage Direct. But if she has a different record locator she will not.

Just be sure to put the AA Advantage number for whoever has the higher benefits on the Luggage Direct form, don't put both. And they do check w/the airline. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1