Prime Rib back?

booklady26

I'm sailing on the Silhouette next week. I was checking the X app this morning to see if there were any changes or updates to the daily planner and MDR menus. The first night's menu still has the pork chop, spaghetti Bolognese, etc, but it also now has "Aged Prime Rib of Beef". That's the first time I've seen it since I first started checking about a month ago. I know that the menus are subject to change up to boarding and frequently do. But the fact that the rest of the menu is the same except for the addition of prime rib makes me wonder (and hope) that maybe enough people complained about it and Celebrity actually listened. 

Anyone else noticed this about their upcoming cruises?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, booklady26 said:

No prime rib here.  I checked my December Summit sailing.  Although the app is far from accurate as Day 5 only shows breakfast and it is a 5-night cruise.  I can't figure out how to see my other booking in the app.

2 hours ago, booklady26 said:

I'm sailing on the Silhouette next week. I was checking the X app this morning to see if there were any changes or updates to the daily planner and MDR menus. The first night's menu still has the pork chop, spaghetti Bolognese, etc, but it also now has "Aged Prime Rib of Beef". That's the first time I've seen it since I first started checking about a month ago. I know that the menus are subject to change up to boarding and frequently do. But the fact that the rest of the menu is the same except for the addition of prime rib makes me wonder (and hope) that maybe enough people complained about it and Celebrity actually listened. 

We were on Silly two weeks ago  - NO prime rib and NO lobster night,  Shrimp scampi apparently was to replace that - 3 shrimp on a lump (and I mean lump) of luke-warm pasta.  The food was a huge disappointment this sailing.  First time we both felt it just didn't cut it.  Table mates were also voicing their opinions and we all agreed X needs to step it up on the Silhouette!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's totally plausible that Celebrity's purveyors can't meet demand. Or the cost to meet the demand is not sustainable. The cattle industry will struggle with supply all through 2023 due to a number of factors so I wouldn't expect to see filet and prime rib flowing free anytime soon. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

It's totally plausible that Celebrity's purveyors can't meet demand. Or the cost to meet the demand is not sustainable. The cattle industry will struggle with supply all through 2023 due to a number of factors so I wouldn't expect to see filet and prime rib flowing free anytime soon. 

What?! Do you mean there isn't an insidious plot by Celebrity to remove or reduce food quality so they can feed us all hot dogs?  Say it isn't so...

All kidding aside, nice to see a reasonable post.

• Like 2

On the Reflection now no prime rib and lobster not showing on the menu for next Chic Night. We shall see. We did have lobster at The Porch and Murano but for a fee. I miss the Prime Rib! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Why is it that Royal has prime rib?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, artvlay said:

Why is it that Royal has prime rib?

Royal Caribbean is not Celebrity. Just because another cruise line has something or you see it in a grocery store doesn’t mean a thing. That’s not how purveyors, their contracts to supply goods or how the supply chain works.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, paulh84 said:

If X is struggling with the cost of providing prime rib to passengers, they're in bigger financial trouble than anyone thought

Also, on the cattle supply comment, you'll have no problem going to the supermarket and finding their refrigerated cases full of beef

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If X is struggling with the cost of providing prime rib to passengers, they're in bigger financial trouble than anyone thought

Also, on the cattle supply comment, you'll have no problem going to the supermarket and finding their refrigerated cases full of beef

Because it’s there doesn’t mean there isn’t a shortage or tight supply. 2022 droughts and input supply costs created cattle herd shortages and lead to smaller cattle (less meat) going to slaughter. Brazil and Australia are not exporting as much, Chinese demand is nearly at an all time high, etc etc etc. 

But I guess the USDA, leading ag finance orgs and ag industry analysts don’t know what they are talking about. But you bet Cruise Critic does 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Because it’s there doesn’t mean there isn’t a shortage or tight supply. 2022 droughts and input supply costs created cattle herd shortages and lead to smaller cattle (less meat) going to slaughter. Brazil and Australia are not exporting as much, Chinese demand is nearly at an all time high, etc etc etc. 

But I guess the USDA, leading ag finance orgs and ag industry analysts don’t know what they are talking about. But you bet Cruise Critic does 🤣

Please quote me the day NCL/CCL/RCL stops serving complimentary steak for any reason (shortages, tight supply, USDA issues, Chinese demand, etc) and I'll buy you a beer...Cheers!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Please quote me the day NCL/CCL/RCL stops serving complimentary steak for any reason (shortages, tight supply, USDA issues, Chinese demand, etc) and I'll buy you a beer...Cheers!

First round of shots on me when you can have an intelligent conversation about the topic! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chuly said:

On the Reflection now no prime rib and lobster not showing on the menu for next Chic Night. We shall see. We did have lobster at The Porch and Murano but for a fee. I miss the Prime Rib! 

The app shows lobster on the menu for tomorrow night (Friday)

• Like 1

Goodness.  This seems like it.is all over the board.  We did a B2B on the Silhouette Feb.9-23.  We had lobster on both sailings (even the 4 day).  I'm pretty sure I saw prime rib but did not have it. Some commented on lack of shrimp.   I'm a shrimp lover and several times asked for additional shrimp when ordering and my meal always came with plenty.     No complaints on the food but maybe I'm just gratfeul to be sailing.

3 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Royal Caribbean is not Celebrity. Just because another cruise line has something or you see it in a grocery store doesn’t mean a thing. That’s not how purveyors, their contracts to supply goods or how the supply chain works.

Not necessarily true.  While RCL doesn't speak to it in their investor presentations have to believe some functions such as purchasing must be at least partly centralized at the corporate level.  Makes no financial sense for Royal, X and Silversea to carry duplicative infrastructure.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Not necessarily true.  While RCL doesn't speak to it in their investor presentations have to believe some functions such as purchasing must be at least partly centralized at the corporate level.  Makes no financial sense for Royal, X and Silversea to carry duplicative infrastructure.   

I recently learned the X and RCI do not have an independent board, the parent company RGC has the board that the Execs of X, RCI (and possibly SilverSea) report to

• Like 1