Obstructed balcony on the Odyssey

I am travelling with friends but since being widowed 2 years ago I actually prefer getting my own cabin.  I feel I need some alone time to be by myself with my thoughts.  We are planning on a cruise on the Odyssey January 2024 and the difference between a balcony and an obstructed balcony for me is almost $500 (I really don't like an inside room).  My question is is it fully obstructed or just partially.  Also, are some cabins or decks better than others.  I can remember a long time ago having an obstructed balcony but it was actually not too bad since the life boats were above our deck and didn't block our view.  I'm planning on booking tomorrow with my travel agent so any help would be greatly appreciated.

How do you feel about being pretty far forward?  There are some obstructed balconies on deck 7 and 8 forward that have porthole shaped cutouts, similar to the one shown in the YouTube video below.  We’ve been assigned one for our Odyssey cruise next month.  DH likes a shady balcony, so I think he will like it.  Hope so😀

There may be some other cabins further aft on deck 7 that are listed as obstructed, but really have only a little obstruction near floor level.  Grab one of those if available.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

a comment: son booked a single on ODY' for a family turkey day cruise. Single cabin was nice - better than sharing and better than paying a premium for a standard two person cabin BUT

be aware the cabin is SMALL .... he's a big guy and was a bit uncomfortable. The bed is a full - not a queen .... his feet hung off the end! Storage space seemed WAY less than 'half a standard room'. He supposedly had an oversized balcony  ..... wellllllll

Just sayin' ...... I don't think it would be his first choice for next cruise (experienced cruiser BTW - was on Disney Wish maiden cruise as a 'platinum' member)

Edited by Capt_BJ

2 hours ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

Also, are some cabins or decks better than others.  I can remember a long time ago having an obstructed balcony but it was actually not too bad since the life boats were above our deck and didn't block our view. 

Yes, some cabins are better and generally deck 7 is better than deck 6. I was in 6670 on Anthem in December. It is obstructed, listed as 50%. I booked the same cabin for later this year. Looking at deck plans, 6620 should be 50% as 6670 is on both Anthem & Odyssey.

8 hours ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

I am travelling with friends but since being widowed 2 years ago I actually prefer getting my own cabin.  I feel I need some alone time to be by myself with my thoughts.  We are planning on a cruise on the Odyssey January 2024 and the difference between a balcony and an obstructed balcony for me is almost $500 (I really don't like an inside room).  My question is is it fully obstructed or just partially.  Also, are some cabins or decks better than others.  I can remember a long time ago having an obstructed balcony but it was actually not too bad since the life boats were above our deck and didn't block our view.  I'm planning on booking tomorrow with my travel agent so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have sailed MANY MANY quantum class ship obstructed balcony cabins.  I am happy with all of them.  Some are more obstructed than others, but you can see the sea on all of them if you are standing.  And you still get light and air on them.  And the savings are TOTALLY worth it.

RC rates them either 50% obstructed or 75% obstructed.  Those designations aren't precise, but they are a guide.  If you call to make your reservations, or use a good TA, they have access to these descriptions.

Don't take the last one aft on Deck 6.  Just don't.

• Like 1

See if 6622 or 6624 or the corresponding ones on the opposite side are available. They have very little obstruction.

See the photos I posted very recently of the view from 6622 towards the end of this thread:

12 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

a comment: son booked a single on ODY' for a family turkey day cruise. Single cabin was nice - better than sharing and better than paying a premium for a standard two person cabin BUT

be aware the cabin is SMALL .... he's a big guy and was a bit uncomfortable. The bed is a full - not a queen .... his feet hung off the end! Storage space seemed WAY less than 'half a standard room'. He supposedly had an oversized balcony  ..... wellllllll

Just sayin' ...... I don't think it would be his first choice for next cruise (experienced cruiser BTW - was on Disney Wish maiden cruise as a 'platinum' member)

I looked at that and even though I'm not a big person it looked way too small.  Thanks for confirming my thoughts.  Booking double gets me double points and closer to Diamond+!

14 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

This is a bad deck 6 obstruction on Odyssey.

image.png.7e72ce96681d53b5b23cd80f30aca1c7.png

Mine is actually worse than yours😂.  I would have preferred saving a couple on dollars on an interior room than this GTY room  image.thumb.jpeg.545f133b5642eeb72f5b6b0b0a321c4f.jpeg

• Thanks 1