Power strip?

misspuss

I'd be curious why you need a power strip. While I get it that many cruise cabins have few power plugs (especially princess), I have found that I can get by with one plug in the bathroom and one wherever the desk is. I bring my Anker power banks to charge my devices at night, and then I charge the power bank during the day. The benefit of a power bank is that if my battery gets low, I can grab and go the device for a backpack on a port day or at the pool, dining table, or wherever.

Pet peeve is the wrong word, but I'm surprised how many people don't have power banks and drag power cables and usb cords around hopping at airports, cruise ships, or elsewhere looking for a spot to plug in.

• Like 1

The first photo:  It looks like it is for the "European" Plug (220 - 250V).  It looks like you would still need adapters.  (I could be wrong).  All Apple Products and most medical equipment are dual voltage and will work with this power unit.

10 hours ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

For those who are interested in what is required, we requested a power strip - this is what we were provided.

20221219_155458.jpg

20221219_155449.jpg

I have one similar to this by IKEA.  It was confiscated by security in the naughty room.  Hard to argue...and I lost the first time.  Now I travel with "documentation" that it is NOT a surge protector. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

We each bring one of these and have never had issues bringing them on board. Much faster than charging by usb. Since we each have a phone, tablet, and camera, we are plug hogs. 🙂

3prong.jpg.df32517481f1a4b2c9778fb96f444f14.jpg

I have never claimed to travel light.  Forced to when I am limited to one medium suitcase/weight.  My cabin mate and I have 2 computers, 2 watches, 2 phones, and 1 tablet to charge.  I do have a power bank.  And I have a CPAP machine.  I find the USB port on the lamp works fine for charging a phone, watch, or tablet overnight.  

46 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I'd be curious why you need a power strip. While I get it that many cruise cabins have few power plugs (especially princess), I have found that I can get by with one plug in the bathroom and one wherever the desk is. I bring my Anker power banks to charge my devices at night, and then I charge the power bank during the day. The benefit of a power bank is that if my battery gets low, I can grab and go the device for a backpack on a port day or at the pool, dining table, or wherever.

Pet peeve is the wrong word, but I'm surprised how many people don't have power banks and drag power cables and usb cords around hopping at airports, cruise ships, or elsewhere looking for a spot to plug in.

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have never claimed to travel light.  Forced to when I am limited to one medium suitcase/weight.  My cabin mate and I have 2 computers, 2 watches, 2 phones, and 1 tablet to charge.  I do have a power bank.  And I have a CPAP machine.  I find the USB port on the lamp works fine for charging a phone, watch, or tablet overnight.  

Gotcha.... Hopefully the new USB-C requirements for even Apple and Power Delivery-C standards will clean up this mess or multiple cables and charging devices.

Then, you would just need one plug for a CPAP and a single Anker USB-C with PD up to like 100W

Edited by Mike07

41 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Gotcha.... Hopefully the new USB-C requirements for even Apple and Power Delivery-C standards will clean up this mess or multiple cables and charging devices.

Then, you would just need one plug for a CPAP and a single Anker USB-C with PD up to like 100W

The "new" USB-C cable just added more complication to my life.  Apple, in all their wisdom, stopped including charging blocks with their devices.  I had to find a USB-C block just for that one device.  There's a lawsuit (I think England/UK) that is requiring Apple to provide adapters so that the charging cables are universal.  

My CPAP has its own designated adapter that will allow me to plug in the table lamp AND CPAP near the bed.  It's all the other devices that clutter up the area.  BUT...I have a method to my madness and it all works for me.  

I have a schedule (aka: Sheldon Cooper/Ha Ha), NOT.....

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

When they are buying 2-3000 per ship, can you blame them?

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be cheap but I guess most people won't notice the difference since a phone will still be charged overnight,

My desk will still be cluttered with phones and tablets but the watches can stay on the nightstand.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be cheap but I guess most people won't notice the difference since a phone will still be charged overnight,

My desk will still be cluttered with phones and tablets but the watches can stay on the nightstand.

My watch doesn't need any power.  You just wind it every day or and it is happy.  Sometimes low tech is best.

DON

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:18 AM, Mike07 said:

...but I'm surprised how many people don't have power banks and drag power cables and usb cords around hopping at airports, cruise ships, or elsewhere looking for a spot to plug in.

I have a container that weighs 100 pounds, more or less 😃, with a three or four chargers and several cables (both A and C) in it. Although I don't have (and never, ever, want) Apple products, I do try to put one Apple charging cable iun my container in case I run across some poor, misguided soul who has an Apple product and needs a charging cable.

• Haha 3

We always took a power strip (with surge protector) on all of our cruises.  Never knew they weren't allowed.  Then on one cruise out of FLL we discovered that we'd forgotten our power strip.  Contacted our niece, who was in FLL and gonna meet us on turnaround day and told her to go to Home Depot (or whatever) and buy the cheapest power strip she could find.  Sure enough, not surge suppressor and that is the one that we take now.

Here’s what I found on Facebook where I only need only plug. It has all of the different cables that I need. The wide cable pulls out so you can reach things easier. You’ll see 2 different USB sockets. 

Since all of the cables fit into the side it’s very compact. I still bring some extra cables just in case. 

Tom😀

849DF700-0333-45B8-885E-2D47EBB0C69D.jpeg

33AD4F17-CA4A-4572-8B57-03AAC87538EC.jpeg

8CD31246-4994-4B5E-A2B9-6645D3DF216B.jpeg

54FEBC24-932A-4ED2-88F4-1C50FADBF8BA.jpeg

On 3/20/2023 at 7:10 PM, damiross said:

I have a container that weighs 100 pounds, more or less 😃, with a three or four chargers and several cables (both A and C) in it. Although I don't have (and never, ever, want) Apple products, I do try to put one Apple charging cable iun my container in case I run across some poor, misguided soul who has an Apple product and needs a charging cable.

If you don't have Apple products why take an Apple cable.  If they forget their cable that is their problem and not yours.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

If you don't have Apple products why take an Apple cable.  If they forget their cable that is their problem and not yours.

DON

Cable rental service? Maybe he plans on being Comcast in 30 years time?

On 3/23/2023 at 1:23 AM, donaldsc said:

I have a universal cable in my car ... micro-usb, usb-c, lightening.

From time to time passengers have various devices to charge.   Seems like a tiny courtesy to have a cable for them..