Anyone enjoying the new menu selections?

59 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Getting up and walking out of the MDR just doesn't have the same effect............you're not being charged so it's not like you're leaving without paying.........

It does have the same effect when the effect is to remove yourself from an unpleasant situation without raising your blood pressure.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pratique said:

This made me chuckle. Many years ago my then-girlfriend and I went to a nice restaurant for lunch on my birthday. It was intended to be a good day but the service was horrible. The only time we saw our server was when she took our order. She didn't bring out the food or even the check - those were done by others and only after we had to ask for them. We paid the bill but left a zero tip. No sooner had we walked out did the manager come chasing after us, daring to accuse us of shorting the server on her tip. When I explained the situation, saying essentially life is too short, he said that I should have come to him first. Of course, we never saw him either, until we left. Getting up and leaving is the only thing that works.

I have a similar tale with a happier ending.  

Friend and I went to an Outback Steakhouse in Chattanooga, TN.  The hostess greeted us and sat us down at a table.  "Your server will be right with you."  

Five minutes pass.  Wait-staff are going back and forth past our table.  Some look at us incuriously but no-one stops.  

We decide to allot an additional five minutes.   

Five more minutes pass.  

We get up and head for the exit.  The hostess sees us.  "Is anything wrong?"  "Well, no-one came to our table to take our order, so" -- and here's a calculated burrrn -- "we're just gonna go up the hill to that Krystal* restaurant for better service."  

She literally grabbed my arm.  "Oh, no, sir!  That's not right!  I'll get the manager."   

And she did. 

He apologized profusely, led us back inside, seated us and said our meals would now be complimentary.   

So, for the first and probably last time in my life, I enjoyed a BIG porterhouse steak.  😄  

----

* known as White Castle west of the Chattahoochee

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Bizaro86 said:

On adventure of the seas right now for my first RCL cruise. I had read they changed the dining room policy (after we booked) but thought it was only entrees that were limited?

We had our first meal tonight and I was denied a second appetizer, so royal saved the 8 tortilla chips and 2 tbsp of spinach dip that would have come with a serving of that. I'm not generally someone to complain but thought that seemed ridiculous. Is my waiter correct in the rules (in which case the solution for me will just be never cruise Royal again) or is it a poor training of the waiter issue (in which case I'll say something while on board).

That is 100% a waiter issue and not an RCCL policy.  We had multiple appetizers and desserts every evening on the Oasis last week with no questions.  Once or twice we had 2 entrées as well.  Told the waiter in advance, and he brought one out and then when taking away the 1st entrée plate, they just asked if we still wanted the 2nd entrée.  Mention this issue to your head waiter if it is still happening on your current cruise.

On 3/14/2023 at 10:07 PM, dleahy4444 said:

It seems that most of the posts about the quality of the food since the new menus seem to indicate that the quality has gone down, but of course that is subjective. Considering that I’m committed to an upcoming cruise and cancelling isn’t an option, I’m hoping that the food isn’t as bad as it seems. Anyone enjoying the new menu on the Oasis? 

I love that term: subjective. Look at the "subject" in the food photos. No one can deny the small portions that look like tv dinners. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

That is 100% a waiter issue and not an RCCL policy.  We had multiple appetizers and desserts every evening on the Oasis last week with no questions.  Once or twice we had 2 entrées as well.  Told the waiter in advance, and he brought one out and then when taking away the 1st entrée plate, they just asked if we still wanted the 2nd entrée.  Mention this issue to your head waiter if it is still happening on your current cruise.

I asked someone else and was told the same thing. And to be honest, having a second plate brought out only after the first is done is a deal-breaker for me, because dinner already takes well over an hour and I have 2 elementary aged kids, I wouldn't be willing to wait any longer. Having a soup and salad along with a steak (and the couple of tbsp of potatoes that apparently come with it) isn't out of line - I'm not talking about ordering 4 entrees here.

Wouldn't be an issue except the portion sizes are (imo) quite small. Today was French night and the tenderloin serving was about 4 oz of beef. My 55 lb nine year old was still hungry after finishing it. Imo that isn't fighting food waste, that's just being cheap. The same attitude (policy?) seems to be pervasive. 

At breakfast in the buffet the juice machines are blocked off with someone serving. But the juice cups are only filled half way. At some point if they only want to serve me half a cup of watery juice I don't feel welcome.

Anyway, as I mentioned this was my first cruise on RCL and I definitely won't book again. I'm 37, 6 foot 2, and 200 lbs and healthy. I'm not looking to eat 6 lobster tails or 3 giant pieces of prime rib. But if you're going to hassle me about a reasonable amount of food then I'm done.

Edited by Bizaro86
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I love that term: subjective. Look at the "subject" in the food photos. No one can deny the small portions that look like tv dinners. 

I dont know how the food was before from a quality perspective. I'd say its ok on Adventure right now, and the desserts have been excellent. I BBQ regularly, and the roast tenderloin today was absolutely a 4 oz serving of meat, which is positively child sized.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I was referring to a subjective opinion regarding the taste, not the size of the portions.  I haven’t seen pictures of the size of the portions, and dimensions are not always discernible in photos, but several people have posted that the portions are small, so I don’t doubt it. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 11:57 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

That might be true of some other threads, but this one I took to mean that they wanted to hear from people that were happy with it.   
Also, this was in the OP, "Considering that I’m committed to an upcoming cruise and cancelling isn’t an option,"

+ we have a lot invested in our C & A level. Us with nearly 50 cruises just w_ Royal.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:29 PM, alfaeric said:

It's pretty amusing to consistently see that "honest" almost always means negative.  Which means that the handful of people who think the food hasn't changed, and it's ok are lying.  

You wonder why people don't post reviews very often.

If you are looking for a crappy time, you will certainly find it.  Good luck with that.  

Or better yet, if you are far enough out, please just cancel your cruise.  Prices are high enough for those of who are not "honest" already.

So, that's pretty insulting of you.  Many of us have been on this board since the beginning (me, almost).  I have been a positive poster for over 20 years, but these changes recently in the dining room were unusual, anti-customer service, and in my (honestly speaking here) ALMOST FIFTY YEARS of sailing with RCCL, are the most negative thing I've happened to me while sailing with them. 

Let me put that in perspective:  in 2005 RCCL abandoned a group of us in Barcelona after a fishermen's strike closed the port until 9 pm the night of debarkation.  No help with accomodations.  But, that was a one-off, and I knew it.

What's happening in the dining room right now is pervasive and fleet-wide.  I personally have been on 5 ships and 6 cruises, in the last 2.5 months since the dining changes started.  

On the happy side of this discussion, my brother-in-law, nephew, and 5 nieces and nephews are on the Enchantment right now.  I am very happy they reported the dining room food and service is wonderful. I expected once RCCL heard the feedback, things would start to improve.  I can live with entrée changes, but when you cannot provide me with a well prepared meal (after doing so for me for 50 years), then that's definitely a negative in my opinion.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I just got off Jewel OTS Saturday, 8 night cruise.  I did one specialty dinner, but otherwise ate only in the MDR for one breakfast (slept through the rest), three lunches, and 7 dinners.  I would rate my food from a 7 (a couple of desserts) to many 9s and 10s.   The Indian dishes were all good, the Mexican night was good with the carne asada.  I really have no complaints except the food at Labadee and Coco Cay was no more than a 5 for me.    I am happy to have new things to try and to enjoy.   Going on Allure in a few weeks so I can try the things I didn't get to on Jewel.  Only one negative, and that was that I gained 3 pounds.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pcur said:

I have been a positive poster for over 20 years, but these changes recently in the dining room were unusual, anti-customer service, and in my (honestly speaking here) ALMOST FIFTY YEARS of sailing with RCCL, are the most negative thing I've happened to me while sailing with them. 

What's happening in the dining room right now is pervasive and fleet-wide.  I personally have been on 5 ships and 6 cruises, in the last 2.5 months since the dining changes started.  

Totally agree.  Their new policies are just bizarre.  They’ve come a loooong way from the bend over backwards service to where they would do ANYTHING to make you happy, to “no substitutions”and can’t have more than one entree at a time.   Before they would make special meals for you just because they wanted to surprise you.  I am Filipino and there were many times WITHOUT ASKING, they’d surprise me with a native Filipino dish.   It could have been pulled from the crew galley potentially, but there were also times when they specifically wanted to make me something just to be nice.

Now we are lucky to get a baked potato subbed for fries or a dish served at an appropriate temperature and not still frozen.  

• Like 3

On 3/26/2023 at 11:22 PM, dleahy4444 said:

I was referring to a subjective opinion regarding the taste, not the size of the portions.  I haven’t seen pictures of the size of the portions, and dimensions are not always discernible in photos, but several people have posted that the portions are small, so I don’t doubt it. 

Aloha. There is definite consistency across all the lines that food quantity and quality has diminished. I enjoy looking at food pictures for several reasons. First is I love looking at food pictures on CC and on a restaurant review site.  Second sometimes I find something I might enjoy making or pairing and finally I get feeling of portion size by comparing the serving with utensils which can provide an approximate idea of the portion size and plating. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pcur said:

I expected once RCCL heard the feedback, things would start to improve. 

We were on Wonder B2B January 7-22 when the new menus were introduced, and on Serenade (10 night) in February and our experience virtually matched yours (and we got ripped by the CC crowd just as you did). We will be back on Wonder in two weeks for another B2B (too late to move this cruise to another ship, but we moved 24 other cruises as soon as we got home), so we will be able to compare our January and February experience to see whether RCL has actually listened to the feedback or if they have just decided to let it all roll off their backs. I really hope they have listened.

Edited by orville99

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

We were on Wonder B2B January 7-22 when the new menus were introduced, and on Serenade (10 night) in February and our experience virtually matched yours (and we got ripped by the CC crowd just as you did). We will be back on Wonder in two weeks for another B2B (too late to move this cruise to another ship, but we moved 24 other cruises as soon as we got home), so we will be able to compare our January and February experience to see whether RCL has actually listened to the feedback or if they have just decided to let it all roll off their backs. I really hope they have listened.

I got the news from my nephew and his family about the Enchantment a few days ago, and was greatly relieved to hear they had improved the food prep and service.  My family are not frequent cruisers with RCCL, so they didn't miss the menu changes, like those of us who lost our beloved grilled salmon choice.😀

17 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

The Indian dishes were all good

This reminds me of a crew member I talked to in the Windjammer on the Vision.  He said he was desperate to get off the ship and find some good Indian food, and that what he'd been eating was.......he hesitated, looking for a description.............I said, "McDonalds of Indian food?"    He said, "Yes! Exactly!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, pcur said:

This reminds me of a crew member I talked to in the Windjammer on the Vision.  He said he was desperate to get off the ship and find some good Indian food, and that what he'd been eating was.......he hesitated, looking for a description.............I said, "McDonalds of Indian food?"    He said, "Yes! Exactly!"

That probably explains why while I really like Indian food, none of the offerings on the new menu were things I order. 

29 minutes ago, pcur said:

You could say that of any ethnic food both at sea and on land.  Being Italian, sauce takes all day and too many ingredients to list to be made properly.  The sauces I’ve tried don’t come close.  But the chefs weren’t trained by my NONNA!  It’s all frame of reference.

25 minutes ago, poocher said:

Being Italian, sauce takes all day and too many ingredients to list to be made properly.  

There is no one italian sauce. Sauces can range from cream based Alfredo sauces in the north to garlic and olive oil based sauces in Sicily, from puttanesca to marinara. Sauce in Naples is much different than sauce from Tuscany which is completely different from Roman sauces.

Edited by orville99

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

There is no one italian sauce. Sauces can range from cream based Alfredo sauces in the north to garlic and olive oil based sauces in Sicily, from puttanesca to marinara. Sauce in Naples is much different than sauce from Tuscany which is completely different from Roman sauces.

Exactly and so what one might consider “good” ethnic food varies even from within that ethnicity.

2 hours ago, poocher said:

You could say that of any ethnic food both at sea and on land.  Being Italian, sauce takes all day and too many ingredients to list to be made properly.  The sauces I’ve tried don’t come close.  But the chefs weren’t trained by my NONNA!  It’s all frame of reference.

I firmly believe no Italian food is very good unless it's cooked fresh in the kitchen, and then served.  That's why I always eat Italian in a highly Yelp-rated restaurant, and skip it the rest of the time.

I'm spoiled by my own 45 year old lasagna sauce recipe (NOT spaghetti sauce) and my lasagna.

• Like 1

So I am a little confused about the serving of one main at a time.  I am sure the last 6 or so cruise we've been on since the restart, multiple servings were served one at a time.  There is so much clutter (glasses, bread baskets, bread plates, wine, salt and pepper shakers) that there simply was no room to put another plate.  The waiters always watched until you finished you entree or main and replaced it with the other one you had ordered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

there is no such thing as Alfredo sauce in Italy

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I firmly believe no Italian food is very good unless it's cooked fresh in the kitchen, and then served.  That's why I always eat Italian in a highly Yelp-rated restaurant, and skip it the rest of the time.

I'm spoiled by my own 45 year old lasagna sauce recipe (NOT spaghetti sauce) and my lasagna.

My lasagna sauce is also a little different than my regular home made.  That’s too thick.  My lasagna needs a looser, thinner sauce.  I rarely eat Italian at a restaurant of any kind as it doesn’t live up to my family’s cooking.  But the small nonno & nonna shops are usually the best.  When visiting my daughter, we always stop at a little place in a strip mall in Altamonte Springs.  You’d never know it was there and the food is fabulous.

Edited by poocher