Majestic Princess vs Crown Princess?

thermal

I'm trying to decide between Alaska cruises.  Both are round trip from Vancouver, leaving May 5, 2023 (I live near Vancouver). 

1) Crown Princess 7 day with a regular balcony - $1540

2) Majestic Princess 8 day with an obstructed view balcony - $1607. 

It looks like there's barely any obstruction with the Majestic balcony (cabin E439), but all the balconies look quite small.  This is a solo trip and I'm planning to spend a lot of time on the balcony enjoying the view, reading, relaxing etc.  The balcony on the Crown is much larger, but the ship is much older and reviews are mixed.  

I'm very much going back and forth between the two choices. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Thank you kindly

Crown Princess hands down. As much as we like the Majestic Princess, she is too large to go through the lower inside passage on the east side of Vancouver Island. This is the area where we have always seen whales, the scenery is beautiful and especially going through Seymour Narrows is very scenic. The Majestic goes on the west side of Vancouver Island. There’s very little scenery to see as you’re usually too far off the coast and in our experience it can be quite rough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you can deal with the balcony obstruction and smaller size, I would definitely say Majestic.  Maybe I'm a bit jaded by last year's propulsion problems that impacted my itinerary, but I found Crown to be very outdated, in terms of both layout and decor.  In particular the buffet layout was horrendous and due to that and its smaller size the selections were much more limited than Majestic.

Crown - more climate controlled areas to watch scenery, full promenade deck, aft terrace pool, and, most importantly, the crown sails through Seymour narrows - the Majestic will sail west of Vancouver Island.  The narrows route is much more scenic.

• Like 3

The first 7 responses answer your question pretty well.

If you are going for the decor, buffet, covered pool, newer ship, take the Majestic.

If you are going for Alaska, take the Crown, anything but a Royal Class ship.

Also, if you are going for the ship, don't go to Alaska, go anywhere else.  Alaska cruises tend to be  more expensive than other destinations.

My opinion, take the Crown to Alaska.

• Like 2

Hysterical...Going to be a tough decision.  I am not a Royal Class fan (smaller token balconies, no full promenade deck, too many passengers/not enough public spaces, Princess theater not enlarged to accommodate crowds...etc.).  Balcony size shouldn't matter much for one person.  From my understanding, the balcony is not not wide enough to face forward.

I prefer the older Grand Class ships.  Yes, they do have their problems and void of bells and whistles.

Alaska is about scenery. Don't confine yourself to your room.  Get out and about.  Sit on the Promenade Deck.  Walk out to the bow of the ship.  Go up to Skywalkers...so many more public spaces on the Crown.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Hysterical...Going to be a tough decision.  I am not a Royal Class fan (smaller token balconies, no full promenade deck, too many passengers/not enough public spaces, Princess theater not enlarged to accommodate crowds...etc.).  Balcony size shouldn't matter much for one person.  From my understanding, the balcony is not not wide enough to face forward.

I prefer the older Grand Class ships.  Yes, they do have their problems and void of bells and whistles.

Alaska is about scenery. Don't confine yourself to your room.  Get out and about.  Sit on the Promenade Deck.  Walk out to the bow of the ship.  Go up to Skywalkers...so many more public spaces on the Crown.

Agreed, I couldn't have said it better myself!!

• Like 2

Crown.  Not even close. 

• The difference between the true Inside Passage and the "west of Vancouver Island" cannot be overstated.
  • The difference between the full Promenade on Crown and the patios on the Royal Class ships cannot be overstated.
  • The difference in Balcony size, especially if you pick a cabin on Caribe or Dolphin cannot be overstated. 
  • The difference in open deck space on the upper decks cannot be overstated.
  • No Skywalkers on Majestic.
  • Sabatini's and Adagio are up top with views on Crown.
  • Covered pool on Majestic.  So what?  You going to Alaska to hang out in a pool?
  • Interior spaces and décor are much nicer on Majestic.  But that doesn't come close to tipping the scales.  Pick Majestic for a different itinerary.  Great ship.  Just not purpose built for Alaska.
Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, voljeep said:

How many cruise(s) have you taken to Alaska?

Is this about the ship or the destination?

Summary:

Ship:  Majestic

Destination:  Crown/Sapphire

Is that what you are referring to?

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

How many cruise(s) have you taken to Alaska?

Is this about the ship or the destination?

I've been to Alaska once about ten years ago. 

I work in healthcare and just want a very peaceful, relaxed getaway.  The idea of spending time on the patio watching beautiful scenery going by, while enjoying nice food/drinks/enrichment programs sounds wonderful.  I love mountain scenery (have been to Banff and Whistler many times).  Living within easy driving distance of the cruise terminal makes an Alaska cruise fairly affordable & convenient as I don't have to fly anywhere.   

I think it's about 75% destination, 25% ship.  I really like the balconies on deck 10 of the Crown Princess, look to be about triple the size of Majestic's.  

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  I think I'm leaning towards the Crown Princess. 

Edited by thermal
  • Like 6

75% ship,  25% itinery.

There are no bad Alaska itineries on any ships!   Everywhere is scenic and beautiful.  Don't pick Crown because you think you will see Whales.  There is no guarantee a whale will show up then you stuck with a dated ship (sorry).

I am picky on the furnishings and drawn to updated modern stateroom/ship.  And I can't sleep outdoor on a lounge chair in open chilly air just because I am in Alaska and outdoor is so beautiful.  Someone can sleep outdoor if they want.

After a day of running around the ship, I like my cozy bed and a beautiful stateroom for a good "night -night"

Majestic would be my recommendation.

Edited by CeCe_

5 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

After a day of running around the ship, I like my cozy bed and a beautiful stateroom for a good "night -night"

Question:  When you turn out the lights for a good "night-night", how beautiful does the stateroom look? 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have cruised on the Crown 4 times, most recently in 2011, so some things may have changed, however,  ..I liked the nice promanade deck, lots of outdoor spaces and the aft pool has a beautiful wake view. I found the food just fine. I used to go up to Skywalkers on sea days to read a book and look at the ocean...beautiful views...would not hesitate to book the Crown again. 

More recent cruises were on the Regal and Sky, both beautiful royal class ships but fewer outdoor areas,  smaller cabins and balconies and tiny walking deck. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

Question:  When you turn out the lights for a good "night-night", how beautiful does the stateroom look? 😎

As beautiful as the lights were on.

I think due to the route the Crown takes (more scenic) and the balcony size - I would choose Crown. Plus the promenade deck.

I agree about Caribe balcony size.

BTW - there are some amazing prices for solos on Crown 10 and 11 night cruises if your dates and time off are flexible. We have several people on our roll call sailing solo on May 12th (prices are similar).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Coral said:

I think due to the route the Crown takes (more scenic) and the balcony size - I would choose Crown. Plus the promenade deck.

ZUMg1biCUxn3NOcoKY0jmqKwVRGyRTuq-_yXDxUnvWf7Cz8ASB9R0JbiD4zKEeTXEkUb9bVJbaPGjSvVpXkUVeEn-103wm556za83G_2aZ0r81-KZOwBVSZjS6pZaJw6RW0u6xBrAwoVkt20DueISDqpu9WrbgtcEIS2l_N5WXFUaiB1zYo_lQScnBIX8W9S0bR-mc-cugsoNz74Pb0VvAcaiHClMHHDdf2Fj9chml2oHh-tAjcwGOlj6XV75hjlyaV53N0srEd9R-9EKPYvbbCNY2o3WznKmsyKegv_q-6QKfOnmz_FUM6x2x364AR2o_nZ3MIlR1FopiNL2Y-xKRtRI5ez8fvaJn4sZ9D_bsmunTdlyudWTo7Y3RCmp33oECs3vZ8V0e5Z196Kd3VA_Mcrt9U-x2U25CRj1C0YS9QOfS0DLUhwL0rOnm45iz60YyRl0qeNMdpxq9THJIvsQRuLU65_PnrxxzjqXXXoH-hluYij4Daf8XM-yufGS_x-pYVoMqkA0tAN6k3V6k230nLK4xMvft6iLiXExEK07lL0l7NiTXbIlKiBBhAES2O6hvUibcplot_GXCz2SZDcaW3wYzknH6Gz5cgx4BFgqwK5psFQEDKR81t2mB4tKjOtrZiFbzbSTLYy45vSaFT2syW98C2N9WpTfQZU5TaE-xVVp1UtuksygYd6j1KZrJ-0igtV3tn6bCdvbZI9QBubhkDBuQLgRPOrjIeR5_teD9H8q0NbUYU61wNzftslVdJOWdF8s2_rgLIE3LJUKxhlFLZeGkpsFruefkkClTyG1Y9Fib0pHDlVcbq-08iOSppy0DRS3z52Hh86gFNke810wl0sWLY3iKG5o5X-F4IC0ANV7Pl_SpjoStqSJqMUtRvUYbfHPJpp9gq6IEdEvkyrdmxyX9kH4uXDiMkBv8LRxue1PTdJCSpnRSAKGM5lQwMRPc24arXNY_a9PR_jVXa305B4j0kqO3gM6cEPA2q9P09hfClnKMHODRC_YXghsYLVgFHJGxmvOVlgSy7VOYmXdn3CAqT-ZA=w1239-h929-s-no?authuser=0

The view is spectacular in the true inside passage (between mainland and Vancouver island).  On SB journeys some of the best scenery might be on the last evening.

• Like 1