Arvia launch ceremony starting

BrianI

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, according to the P&O official social media page, everyone who watched it think it was the best show since the 2012 London Olympics opening ceremony !

It was certainly the best Arvia naming ceremony that I have ever seen.🤣

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Well, according to the P&O official social media page, everyone who watched it think it was the best show since the 2012 London Olympics opening ceremony !

I was perusing the comments on the YT page as it was going on; practically all of them were positive. If I was a cynical person I might think all comments had gone through a P&O PR filter before appearing onscreen. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It would seem the Ministry of Truth is alive and well in the P&O PR department? Fortunately, none of this matters very much. The naming ceremony will be yesterday's news quickly! Everyone must recognise that the superlatives dolled out by the PR departments (of all cruise lines) overhype the "luxury" and experience available to the "self loading cargo".  Despite this the overall experience remains, at least in my opinion, pretty dashed good and excellent value for money: there is enough variety for one to pick and choose what suits and ignore what doesn't. PR and advertising has always exaggerated. It used to be said that all advertising was aimed at the CEO of the company in question, to boost his or her ego. The danger arises when they start to believe the publicity: complacency can set in!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TigerB said:

I was perusing the comments on the YT page as it was going on; practically all of them were positive. If I was a cynical person I might think all comments had gone through a P&O PR filter before appearing onscreen. 🙄

Over the past few years the number of cruise "influencers" that have appeared has increased dramatically.  Some give fair and balanced views, others do not and get rewarded for doing so. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Froxfield said:

It would seem the Ministry of Truth is alive and well in the P&O PR department? Fortunately, none of this matters very much. The naming ceremony will be yesterday's news quickly! Everyone must recognise that the superlatives dolled out by the PR departments (of all cruise lines) overhype the "luxury" and experience available to the "self loading cargo".  Despite this the overall experience remains, at least in my opinion, pretty dashed good and excellent value for money: there is enough variety for one to pick and choose what suits and ignore what doesn't. PR and advertising has always exaggerated. It used to be said that all advertising was aimed at the CEO of the company in question, to boost his or her ego. The danger arises when they start to believe the publicity: complacency can set in!

That would seem to indicate that Ludlow is a true believer.

5 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

Over the past few years the number of cruise "influencers" that have appeared has increased dramatically.  Some give fair and balanced views, others do not and get rewarded for doing so. 

Oh some of those “influencers”, vloggers and the like are often their own parody: swanning around the ship as if they own it, oozing a sense of entitlement and with a few acting as if they are in some way special.

Sadly I have found very few that are much more useful or better in terms of footage etc than standard cruisers reporting back into to their friends & family or adding comments on forums. Some are pretty good but the majority……no!

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Camberley said:

Oh some of those “influencers”, vloggers and the like are often their own parody: swanning around the ship as if they own it, oozing a sense of entitlement and with a few acting as if they are in some way special.

Sadly I have found very few that are much more useful or better in terms of footage etc than standard cruisers reporting back into to their friends & family or adding comments on forums. Some are pretty good but the majority……no!

The British guy with the bald head who's been doing it years is brilliant IMO

This guy. I trust him to give great advice on everything cruising

And he seems a nice guy as well

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The British guy with the bald head who's been doing it years is brilliant IMO

This guy. I trust him to give great advice on everything cruising

And he seems a nice guy as well

Yes I agree. He is a rare one who comes across as so natural and engaging rather that making it all about himself

• Like 3

On 3/17/2023 at 12:29 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

Olly Murs did well

Prime Minister of Barbados - she was great

Didn't like the approach from Nicole - who kept referring to it as "my ship"

Because as far as I'm concerned its our ship!  

Didn't watch it to be honest as we weren't that interested. Did have a look at the naming and NS and her bit after. It really annoyed me and it cheapened her and the whole event.

Comparing that to all other naming ceremonies we've seen on Celebrity and P&O it lacked something ............ well a lot to be honest.

Perhaps I am a traditionalist, but using a naming ceremony to sell something .. the rum .. just doesn't cut it with us.

And sadly it seems to be more about Me,Me,Me for NS -------- may not be her fault but just cringeworthy.

Compare that to when Britannia was named and the late Queen named her .......................

As for missing the blessing out --- sad, but a sign of the times

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Didn't watch it to be honest as we weren't that interested. Did have a look at the naming and NS and her bit after. It really annoyed me and it cheapened her and the whole event.

Comparing that to all other naming ceremonies we've seen on Celebrity and P&O it lacked something ............ well a lot to be honest.

Perhaps I am a traditionalist, but using a naming ceremony to sell something .. the rum .. just doesn't cut it with us.

And sadly it seems to be more about Me,Me,Me for NS -------- may not be her fault but just cringeworthy.

Compare that to when Britannia was named and the late Queen named her .......................

As for missing the blessing out --- sad, but a sign of the times

When I highlighted that I was told that the ship was blessed before her maiden cruise. If she was, then it is a pity that was not televised too, as, to me, that is a much more meaningful ceremony.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

When I highlighted that I was told that the ship was blessed before her maiden cruise. If she was, then it is a pity that was not televised too, as, to me, that is a much more meaningful ceremony.

The godmother said " may god bless her and all who sail on her " before she released the bottle of booze, just like other naming ceremonies.

• Like 1

arvia cruise ship blessing

Arvia was officially welcomed to Southampton during a ceremony in which the city’s Bishop, the Right Reverend Debbie Sellin blessed the ship and her crew. The commemorative plaques were exchanged between ABP and P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow and Captain Robert Camby.

Photo copyright P&O Cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

arvia cruise ship blessing

Arvia was officially welcomed to Southampton during a ceremony in which the city’s Bishop, the Right Reverend Debbie Sellin blessed the ship and her crew. The commemorative plaques were exchanged between ABP and P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow and Captain Robert Camby.

Photo copyright P&O Cruises.

It would have been nice to see this --- 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Presto2 said:

It would have been nice to see this --- 

Exactly  - a understated, but seemingly tasteful occasion. 

But, not exactky click bait. So therefore of no interest to the PR department. 

• Like 5

On 3/17/2023 at 2:56 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Nicole who?

And why is it always a god mother? Esp in this day and age.

That said cant wait for our August trip on Arvia. 😁

You remind me of the High Court judge who famously asked in the 1960s 'Who are the Beatles'?

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

You remind me of the High Court judge who famously asked in the 1960s 'Who are the Beatles'?

True! Then again he was in a real minority whereas probably about 95% of people have no idea who Nicole is! 

14 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

True! Then again he was in a real minority whereas probably about 95% of people have no idea who Nicole is! 

I would think many, many folk know who she is. A very competent singer, who causes lots of folk to demonstrate....who knows  what to call it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I can't believe that 95% of people have been living under a rock for the past 20+ years! Long career in music both in the Pussycat Dolls (they are a pop group) and as a soloist, high profile relationship with Lewis Hamilton (he's a racing driver), judge on several TV 'talent' shows, West End stage actress, Grammy & Olivier nominee, Special Olympics ambassador....

Anyone who hasn't heard of Nicole Scherzinger really needs to get out more.

• Like 1

Dame Darcey Bussell wasn't anywhere near as well known when she became Godmother to Azura in 2010. She had only just become a Strictly judge which brought her to the attention of more of mainstream UK

Even now Darcey isn't anywhere near as well known as Nicole though worldwide

However, I think Darcey is the perfect Godmother for P and Other ships

I don't dislike Nicole at all. She's a very classy lady for sure (normally). Don't like the acting roll she put on for Arvia. No need for that.

I just prefer Darcey though. Pure class

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

I can't believe that 95% of people have been living under a rock for the past 20+ years! Long career in music both in the Pussycat Dolls (they are a pop group) and as a soloist, high profile relationship with Lewis Hamilton (he's a racing driver), judge on several TV 'talent' shows, West End stage actress, Grammy & Olivier nominee, Special Olympics ambassador....

Anyone who hasn't heard of Nicole Scherzinger really needs to get out more.

For me popular music ended in the 1980s, with just a few exceptions since then. Although I had heard the name Pusseycat Dolls, I certainly could not have named the individual members, and only knew that Nicole Scherzinger had been a member when she started dating Lewis Hamilton and her name was mentioned during F1 coverage on Sky. But to suggest that she might be as well known as The Beatles, is a pop record too far, IMO.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But to suggest that she might be as well known as The Beatles, is a pop record too far, IMO.

Hmmm - if asked, I wonder how many under 40's could name all four Beatles ?