Musings from Covid isolation

CoolBeansVA

We’re on our fifth Viking Ocean cruise.  We were very impressed with Viking’s leadership in establishing science-based Covid policy, and had no qualms about taking our first post-Covid cruise last year.  At that time, Covid tests were mandatory at embarkation and daily while onboard.  Passengers all wore contact tracing devices on lanyards, crew members were masked at all times, and we were encouraged to mask in crowded areas such as the Star Theater and on busses.  I never heard anybody complaining — we all had agreed to these conditions before booking — and we were rewarded with a heathy and enjoyable two-week adventure.

On our present cruise, we knew they had dispensed with contact tracers and were offering onboard Covid tests only upon request, but we were surprised that there was no Covid testing at embarkation.  We assumed that a negative test would be a routine entrance requirement.  Once on board, it’s as though Covid is fully behind us.  Neither passengers nor crew members are masking.  A note in the Viking Daily recommends onboard masking, but also says, “Face masks are optional while moving about the ship, but highly recommended for those guests with a persistent cough.”   (Ahem, perhaps passengers with persistent coughs should get themselves tested).

Anyway, my husband and I continued to mask in the theater, on busses and whenever we shared an elevator with others, because we believe that judicial masking in indoor public places was one of the practices that helped keep us from ever getting Covid in the last three years.  But we didn’t mask at meals or when having drinks in the Explorer’s Lounge or coffee in the Living Room.

And Covid finally caught us.  Fortunately we came prepared with Paxlovid, which we started ten minutes after our positive tests, and we are improving each day.  Unfortunately, we are in mandatory isolation in our stateroom for 6 days, during which we are missing two key ports of our itinerary and, frankly, going stir-crazy.

So here’s a question:  Do you think it would be helpful for passengers to know approximately how many Covid cases are on board?  I have friends at home who live in retirement communities that are ‘cruise-like”  in their social and group dining amenities, and they always know the daily headcount of cases among residents and staff.  When numbers go up, they take more precautions.  

I asked for a case count at the infirmary when I got my positive test results confirmed, and was told that information is not disclosed.  Huh.  There are indications that the number of cases is not insignificant. For one, we heard a fair amount of coughing on busses and around the ship before we got sick. Two, most every time we call room service for meals, we’re told that delivery time will be a little longer because they’re very busy.  Three, all passengers had to go through immigration when we docked in Australia.  Because we’re in isolation, our passports were picked up in our room for processing. The person who picked up ours had a box with what looked like over two-dozen passports already in it.  

I do get that we’re all tired of Covid and just want to move on and live our lives (that’s why we’re on this trip).  But I also feel that a few more precautions (such as pre-embarkation testing and more routine masking for passengers and crew members) are a modest nuisance compared to spending nearly a week in isolation.

Not trying to incite a political discussion, folks!!  All politics aside, what balance of precautions and information feels right for you?

• Like 5

Great questions. We have been reluctant to return to cruising as yet. Our next cruise will be in January. Our last was January 2020. Main reason for the reluctance is not having to be confined to our cabin in case we come down with it once again. My wife and I had covid in July. We also took Pavlovid and thankfully both of us had mild symptoms. The fatigue was no fun, however.  I hope you don't mind the metallic taste the Paxlovid. We did!!! Seems like testing at embarkation is the minimum that needs to be done. From there, if you have a cough you get a mask. 

Thanks for sharing. 

It’s all a crap shoot.  We just returned from three weeks on a Viking Med cruise.  All was fine.  My husband then went two weeks later to “boys beer club,” his hiking group that gets together on Fridays for a beer or two.  This week after cold symptoms, he tested and was positive for Covid, but not sick.  He let his hiking group know, and about half of them have Covid, as do their wives.  He is taking Paxlovid, hating the metallic taste, I feed him Jalapeños twice a day.  I don’t have Covid, but have a miserable cold.  We had been on two Viking cruises in 2021 and all was fine.  You just never know …

• Like 2

Given that testing isn't mandatory, thank goodness, then knowing the numbers onboard is pretty much meaningless. Having had Covid last year, and being symptomless I am happy to move on. If you are prepared to go on a cruise then catching any manner of illness, be it gastro or flu or covid, is just a part of the risk. Covid is here to stay. Influenza is here to stay. How much longer can extreme measures like mandatory testing be in place? Wear a mask if you want but in reality that won't stop you catching covid. Or flu. It just minimises the risk. 

In many countries now, seasonal influenza is much more prevalent than Covid but no one cares to know. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 7

I have been on many other cruise threads, and it is not clear these days how someone is actually diagnosed with Covid and required to quarantine.

Do you self-test and self-report?  Do you ask the ship's doctor for the test?  Is the non-ill passenger required to isolate as well?  Some cruise lines seem to have special cabins just for those who are positive, and make them move.  On some cruises it appears those who are sick tell no one, and continue to participate in all activities.  It may be that some even arrive already ill!  Do people report other passengers?  No wonder the count cannot really be determined...

We pre-tested and daily masked on our cruise last Summer, and had no problems.  I would be more inclined to wear my mask on an airplane, instead of when walking around a cruise ship, because we are a captive audience in close proximity to other people.  I do know that viruses can spread more quickly when the air is colder and drier, so that is also a consideration about travel dates. 

So sorry you are missing participation in your cruise, and I wish you future happier days.

My husband caught COVID early on our cruise last August.  There wasn't a separate cabin for me to go to, so I had to sleep next to him for 6 nights.  I wore a N95 mask whenever I was in the cabin, including all night, and never caught it from him.  I was tested daily.  I think he caught it on the bus to the ship when he decided he was tired of wearing his mask after the long flight.

I was free to roam on the ship and go on excursions, as long as I wore a mask. in public spaces and on the bus.  It was sad not being able to share those experiences with him.

• Like 1

Viking is still requiring all passengers to be vaccinated, though, right?  Perhaps time to rethink that given the efficacy of the vaccinations?  My take is that if you are cruising, you are risking infection.  Worth the risk to me.

• Like 1

Are you aware that Viking will compensate you on a pro-rated basis for the days missed while in quarantine? We contracted Covid last August while on our Iceland cruise and based on the passenger contract, we were given a generous voucher for the days missed.

• Like 1

We took 2 Viking cruises in 2021 with all the Covid measures in place and had Covid free ships both times.  Back then the mandatory quarantine period was 10 days and i think passengers were extra cautious because of that.

We recently returned from a "Covid is behind us" cruise.  We booked when all the safety measures were in place.  Even though they were all dropped prior to our cruise, we planned to mask just as we did before - mask on everywhere unless we were eating or drinking while seated or in our stateroom or on an upper open deck away from others.   Only a handfull of passengers and crew masked.  I think i became known as that lady with the colorful masks because i had a mask that matched or coordinated with each color i wore.

As soon as i developed a sore throat and cough, we both self tested - negative.  When we picked up a bottle of cough syrup in the ship store there were over a dozen bottles.  My cough became so bad that i could not sleep at night keeping my DH up also.  Next morning when we went to the Medical Center, i had a 102 fever and could barely talk without coughing.  The nurse gave me a choice to be Covid tested or not.  He told me if i was positive they were required to quarantine me for 5 days with day 1 being day after positive result.  I had a choice - I could have said no!  I tested negative for both Covid and the flu and was diagnosed with acute bronchitis.  They provided me with the appropriate meds and i was glad to stay in bed until i felt better.  I continued to mask in public as a courtesy to other passengers AND because i feared getting Covid on top of bronchitis and ending up hospitalized.  

Went back to the med center a couple days later as my DH had a slight cough and was still self testing negative.  The store had sold out all the cough syrup by then and we thought he could get it from the nurse.  There was a line of people before us and a bigger line after by the time the center opened.  No one wore masks.  When the nurse showed up i asked if he was going to let all these people into the center without masks?  He passed them out to everyone.  Each person before us got the spiel re if they tested Covid positive, they would be quarantined.  No one chose to be tested.  They just wanted cough syrup and tylenol.  Many many passengers were coughing on board - a cold, allergies, Covid - who knows.  I saw many many people coughing and sneezing into their hands and then using the serving utensils in the WC.  I rarely saw anyone using the Viking provided little sanitizer bottles at their dining table.   The bottom line is there will be illness on board, no doubt, and there are many inconsiderate and irresponsible sick passengers too.

There is lots of Covid on board.  Out of the 6 friends we knew on board, 4 got Covid.  One friend on board had a sore throat, tested positive on a self test and then went to the medical center where he was tested positive again.  He was quarantined and received daily nurse visits, tylenol and cough meds.  His wife asked for a separate room but was told the ship was full and they had none.  Two days later she had Covid.  I guess Viking is no longer holding back V cabins on deck 3.  They never wore masks.   They became sick about 2 days after a submarine excursion which they described as packed in like sardines, hot, no air flow and no one wearing masks.

The other 2 friends were sick with Covid by the time they got home after cruise.  They also chose not to wear masks on board. The final 2 friends wore masks often, self tested daily and never got Covid.

It is up to us whether we cruise and how we choose to protect ourselves.  Even then there is no guarantee but it is the best we can do.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In the UK covid is now ranked with flu and tackled in the same way. Basically try not to pass it on to anyone, annual vaccine jab. 

Masking/vaccination isn't a political issue in the UK, it's rare to see anyone wearing a mask unless in a healthcare setting. 

We have no problem with the dropping of Covid precautions, we avoided cruising while they were in place

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

The final 2 friends wore masks often, self tested daily and never got Covid.

Says it all and is our plan for our upcoming Venice to Athens in April. Our last cruise was March/April 2022 and the masking requirement was dropped two days before disembarkation, though testing continued. We won’t self test daily but will wear masks assiduously as we both have health issues and have no desire to risk getting Covid.

• Like 8

We've been on 2 cruises, a Rick Steves tour, and a trip to Cancun in the last 12 months, and were fortunate not to get Covid on any of them.

We've had all the shots and boosters; in February 2022 we both got Covid while at home, just 5 weeks before our Viking Adriatic, Italy and Greece cruise. Went on the cruise, stayed Covid-free.

Then, on a 15-day Rick Steves tour in France, our group of 25 was required to have vaccinations, get tested the day we were to join the group; everyone tested negative, including our guide.

Within the week, 4 people had to leave the tour because of Covid; we traveled on a bus, all masking anytime we were in the bus or in a tourism site, yet this still happened. By the time the trip was ending, there were only 10 of us left untouched--even 2 guides got Covid.

Another cruise, a week in Cancun, and we've remained Covid-free; we have 3 trips coming up again this year, and we'll just see how things play out.

Would a mask make any difference on a Viking ship where people serve themselves in the World Cafe, where they congregate in the bar, where they mingle on tour buses, in the elevators? At this point, I don't think so. It seems to be the luck of the draw at this point, and we don't spend any time worrying about it. 

The key phrase here is: GET TRIP INSURANCE.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, longterm said:

The key phrase here is: GET TRIP INSURANCE.

Seems to be a strange conclusion from your story.

The best way to avoid viral infection is through good hygiene and the primary element of that is throughly washing your hands after handling/touching things.  Of course, vaccinations too.  Trip insurance doesn't appear to be an effective preventive measure against viral infection.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Says it all and is our plan for our upcoming Venice to Athens in April. Our last cruise was March/April 2022 and the masking requirement was dropped two days before disembarkation, though testing continued. We won’t self test daily but will wear masks assiduously as we both have health issues and have no desire to risk getting Covid.

We are on a Rome to Venice, Venice to Athens B2B in Feb '24.  Will look forward to the review of your portion.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, d9704011 said:

Trip insurance doesn't appear to be an effective preventive measure against viral infection.

True. But travel insurance sure comes in handy when contracting COVID, especially in a foreign country or on a ship. Our bills for a mild case were a couple of thousand dollars in Prague last summer. Everything was covered including a private transfer to Berlin.

TayanaLorna’s observations in the infirmary — passengers being told that if they tested positive for Covid, they’d have to isolate for six days, did they want to be tested, no thanks — imply that Viking has replaced its focus on passenger wellness with indifference.  I am deeply disappointed.

We didn’t experience this look-the-other-way coercion because we showed up in the infirmary announcing that we’d self-tested positive that morning.  So the jig was up.

• Like 2

Wish I could edit my last post, but can’t from my iPad.  I didn’t mean “coercion”; I meant “charade”.  I do not think the medical staff are being coercive in any way.

I do have another quibble with them, however.  They state in person and in print that the mandatory isolation period for Covid-positive passengers is “5 nights.”  However, the night count starts the day after the testing day, which is called Day 0.  So, I said to the medical officer, then it’s actually 6 days, right?  No, he said, it’s 5 nights.  Day 0 plus 5 nights adds up to 6 days, I argue.  No, it’s 5 nights, he repeats.  (Who’s on first?)

We get daily calls from a nurse to check in our how we’re feeling.  After 5 nights of isolation, my husband asked if his time was up,  No, Day 0 doesn’t count, you have another day, the nurse replied.  GeezeLouise.  It’s six days!  Call it what it is!

😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CoolBeansVA said:

Wish I could edit my last post, but can’t from my iPad.  I didn’t mean “coercion”; I meant “charade”.  I do not think the medical staff are being coercive in any way.

I do have another quibble with them, however.  They state in person and in print that the mandatory isolation period for Covid-positive passengers is “5 nights.”  However, the night count starts the day after the testing day, which is called Day 0.  So, I said to the medical officer, then it’s actually 6 days, right?  No, he said, it’s 5 nights.  Day 0 plus 5 nights adds up to 6 days, I argue.  No, it’s 5 nights, he repeats.  (Who’s on first?)

We get daily calls from a nurse to check in our how we’re feeling.  After 5 nights of isolation, my husband asked if his time was up,  No, Day 0 doesn’t count, you have another day, the nurse replied.  GeezeLouise.  It’s six days!  Call it what it is!

😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫

Day 0 is followed by Night 0. So if Day 0 is Sunday, Monday night is Night 1 and so on. You have not served your "5 nights" time until Saturday morning. This is simply another example of how Americans and Europeans differ. Yet another is how the floors of buildings are numbered. What is our (American) 2nd floor is the 1st floor in Europe. The Europeans use ground floor where Americans use 1st floor to refer to what is physically the building's ground floor. 

In the end... sorry you got sick and your holiday was disrupted. Cheers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoolBeansVA said:

TayanaLorna’s observations in the infirmary — passengers being told that if they tested positive for Covid, they’d have to isolate for six days, did they want to be tested, no thanks — imply that Viking has replaced its focus on passenger wellness with indifference.  I am deeply disappointed.

We didn’t experience this look-the-other-way coercion because we showed up in the infirmary announcing that we’d self-tested positive that morning.  So the jig was up.

That is exactly how I felt - Viking was looking the other way.  A person was sick, they may have Covid, they could walk away, not quarantine and not wear a mask to protect others.  However, they were also being very clear about what would happen if one tested positive.  I was so sick I wanted to get tested. I was relieved that it was not Covid.  When I felt better about 2 days later, i was comfortable walking around the ship and dining in the restaurant.  My friend also showed up at the infirmary because he self tested positive.  He incurred no charges from Viking for any of the testing, medication, doctor visit and daily nurse visit.

13 hours ago, CoolBeansVA said:

😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫

Don't know if it still does, but the CDC website guidance for Covid isolation said 5 days, with Day 0 being test Covid and Day 1 as first daynof isolation.  And night follows day not the other way around.  Think Viking follows CDC terminology.  

Edited by TayanaLorna

2 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Don't know if it still does, but the CDC website guidance for Covid isolation said 5 days, with Day 0 being test Covid and Day 1 as first daynof isolation.  And night follows day not the other way around.  Think Viking follows CDC terminology.  

Greetings from day four of isolation (at home).  Here is what is being followed now.  Testing is not the beginning of the countdown unless you have no symptoms.  If you have symptoms, you begin counting from the day of symptoms.  Both my husband and I had symptoms first, which is what prompted us to test.  

7C99B628-3C52-4B13-8D7A-6D9E18EC3FCF.thumb.jpeg.6175a2265196b914b715cfccb0583211.jpeg7C99B628-3C52-4B13-8D7A-6D9E18EC3FCF.thumb.jpeg.6175a2265196b914b715cfccb0583211.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Greetings from day four of isolation (at home).  Here is what is being followed now.  Testing is not the beginning of the countdown unless you have no symptoms.  If you have symptoms, you begin counting from the day of symptoms.  Both my husband and I had symptoms first, which is what prompted us to test.  

7C99B628-3C52-4B13-8D7A-6D9E18EC3FCF.thumb.jpeg.6175a2265196b914b715cfccb0583211.jpeg7C99B628-3C52-4B13-8D7A-6D9E18EC3FCF.thumb.jpeg.6175a2265196b914b715cfccb0583211.jpeg

Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1