In person Muster Drills changing 4/1/2023?

nmuller328

48 minutes ago, styles27 said:

So far I’m not seeing this announcement anywhere but here and the other social media site. 
We’ll have to wait for an official announcement from NCL since it’s not on their website either. 

It was sent in an email to TAs yesterday from NCL. I got it (as a TA). I also checked in for an April cruise yesterday and had to watch the video (four times) when I checked in....

I'm surprised so many complain about the in person muster.

It's a dream gathering in one of the dining rooms for muster compared to not so long ago when we had to wear our life jackets and meet up outside by the lifeboats!

I remember leaving on a cruise out of San Juan and standing outside with our lifejackets on in almost 100 degree weather, without a drink in my hand, and almost dying of heat stroke. Lmao!

With that being said, love the emuster!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

It was sent in an email to TAs yesterday from NCL. I got it (as a TA). I also checked in for an April cruise yesterday and had to watch the video (four times) when I checked in....

Thanks!

I checked with our TA and they have not received it as of today. They’re a very big cruise only agency so I find this interesting that they haven’t. 

I guess time will tell. 

11 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I complain about the inpersonmuster because it's poor training, you can't hear the briefing and you can't see the presentation.  IOW, it's a waste of time.

37 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

With fewer crew members onboard these days, this does make sense - and some of us will probably see our checked luggage, hmmm, a little faster and the stateroom attendants can get the remaining cabins ready sooner than later.  

You have a good point.

On our 5 march Breakaway cruise,

cabins weren't ready until after the muster drill. 

Luggage was delivered after the drill.

11 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Thanks!

I checked with our TA and they have not received it as of today. They’re a very big cruise only agency so I find this interesting that they haven’t. 

I guess time will tell. 

If your TA is signed up for the Partners First emails, it came in yesterday's edition of The Weekly Wave.

image.png

• Thanks 4

Kind of surprised NCL went to the old gatherings for the muster drill.  I would have to think it cost more in both time and personnel to go back to the old way of doing it.

I do like the way Royal does theirs (if they still do it the same way).  If you don't watch the safety drill and check in at your muster station, your sign and sail card won't allow you to get a drink or to check in anywhere.

That said, given the massive cluster in person muster drills were, and the amount of personnel needed to conduct them, it has to be more effective, less time consuming, with less personnel involved by doing e-muster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lfdemt said:

We leave the 25th, the last old in person muster sailing for the escape, I am hoping (knowing its not likely) that they do a hybrid type muster.  You can go to your muster station anytime before sailing, and then watch the video presented by the crew (since we didn't have that option during check in), they check us off the list and we go on our merry way.  Sounds reasonable to me!

We leave on the 26th- I'm thinking there's still time for them to send out the email links- they did it so frequently last year- but agree hope it's some hybrid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nmuller328 said:

We leave on the 26th- I'm thinking there's still time for them to send out the email links- they did it so frequently last year- but agree hope it's some hybrid. 

4 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

It's a dream gathering in one of the dining rooms for muster compared to not so long ago when we had to wear our life jackets and meet up outside by the lifeboats!

I remember leaving on a cruise out of San Juan and standing outside with our lifejackets on in almost 100 degree weather, without a drink in my hand, and almost dying of heat stroke. Lmao!

With that being said, love the emuster!!

The in person muster drill we had on the Encore in mid Jan. was anything but a dream more a nightmare . I would have loved doing the on deck one after that fiasco.

4 minutes ago, RNPJN said:

The in person muster drill we had on the Encore in mid Jan. was anything but a dream more a nightmare . I would have loved doing the on deck one after that fiasco.

I don't know what happened to you on Encore. I sailed Encore in January, 2020 and our in person muster was no big deal.

And, you would not love doing it on deck.

It was always a longer muster drill out on deck, you had to wear your life jacket and because we always sail in warm weather it was always brutally hot wearing those lifejackets.

Hopefully emuster is permanent.

We are just off the Encore and the in person drill wasn't that bad. At least we didn't have to walk around with the vest on like we used to. The elevators after the drill, that was a different story. They were packed and everyone was miserable. 

We are cruising on the Prima April 9th. I just checked in and had to watch the eMuster drill video. That was new to me, I did not have to do that for the Encore a couple of weeks ago. 

EDIT: I wanted to add that we did have to watch a mandatory safety video on the TV in our stateroom before we were able to use the TV. I think it was about 20 - 30 minutes?

Edited by coondogg97

10 minutes ago, coondogg97 said:

EDIT: I wanted to add that we did have to watch a mandatory safety video on the TV in our stateroom before we were able to use the TV. I think it was about 20 - 30 minutes?

I don't believe that you had to "watch" it. 🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Kind of surprised NCL went to the old gatherings for the muster drill.  I would have to think it cost more in both time and personnel to go back to the old way of doing it.

I read one article that said they thought they went back to the old muster drill to save on labor.  Otherwise, they had an employee standing around for hours at each station while people rolled by and checked in.  With the physical drill, they were only there for an hour.

Did you have to report at all to your muster station? When I was on the Breakaway at the end of Oct, we watched the video online and they emailed it to us several times.

Then we had to report to our muster station (which was I think the theater). All we had to do is swipe our card to "check in" and say we watched the video.

We're sailing this Sunday and I got an email this morning to watch the safety drill. I looked everywhere on the web site and can't find it at all. The only video I find is how to check in, which does not include a safety video! Any ideas?

15 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I read one article that said they thought they went back to the old muster drill to save on labor.  Otherwise, they had an employee standing around for hours at each station while people rolled by and checked in.  With the physical drill, they were only there for an hour.

Perhaps.  In person Muster Drill entailed more people than the e-Muster.  They would have people directing you where to go, people in the venue directing you to your section, people demonstrating, etc.

I have no reason to believe this, but when they announced they were going back to the Lin person Muster drills that some NCL accountant thought they would save money on the drink package, that nearly everyone has, if they had that 30 minute period before, during and after the drill where the bars were all closed.

Someone compared that with the labor cost of getting more people involved in the in person Muster drill.  Whichever was cheapest won out.  We snow know the answer.

Could be a stretch, but that's plausible in my humble estimation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I have no reason to believe this, but when they announced they were going back to the Lin person Muster drills that some NCL accountant thought they would save money on the drink package, that nearly everyone has, if they had that 30 minute period before, during and after the drill where the bars were all closed.

I'm an accountant.  I believe that could well have happened.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kruizin'Kath said:

We're sailing this Sunday and I got an email this morning to watch the safety drill. I looked everywhere on the web site and can't find it at all. The only video I find is how to check in, which does not include a safety video! Any ideas?

The link should have been in the email.

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy
  • Like 1