A First Fond Farewell for Odyssey

Flamin_June

We had the TK meal last night, barbecued pork ribs, and everything served was excellent.   We took the excursion in Nuku’alofa Hiva and the beauty of the island was amazing.   It was definitely a rough 3 hour ride but the views were gorgeous.   The tiny sliver of a ship in the photo is our Odyssey.

6CE653C0-4495-4DFA-8876-7DEFF939E9CD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday 25th April, 11.10, Pacific Ocean🌊 

Our third day at sea and yet no sight of landfall. It is not exactly an angry sea, though verging on disgruntled, a cold, steel grey colour punctuated by shifting whitecaps. Large, solitary, dark coloured  seabirds swoop alongside like flickering shadows at the edges of perception. Our first sea day was calmer, though humid, cloudy, befogged; tug o war, showers. Yesterday, as we approached and crossed the equator, brighter, but lost all internet for several hours; the Pollywog thing. Today decidedly choppy; caviar in the pool is scheduled, but I am uncertain that it will proceed as the pool will be sloshing. Deck party tonight, but if current conditions persist I suspect there will be too much rock n roll.

As we enter the final days of our voyage it is hard not to be tainted by a creeping ennui. One does not exactly feel negative, but it is harder to remain positive and our recent days have been marred by new neighbours next door, who it seems are kicking cupboard doors open and smashing them closed at every opportunity, letting their suite doors slam shut at any exit and entrance, and don’t let me get started on the balcony door. We have spoken to guest services and stewardesses but nothing has been done. In the old days a tactfully written card would be sent, which usually resulted in respite. We have noticed that balcony doors are being slammed shut the length and breadth of deck five and deck six, with great thuds that actually can be felt in our suite to either side and above. Perhaps one should discuss the situation with them in person, but, if their treatment of doors and cupboards is anything to go by, they may have an aggressive approach to life and not take kindly when requested to modify behaviour.

I wanted to take time to quietly and critically reflect on the last five and a half weeks, but in my present mood critical reflection could easily morph into a spuming vent.

But let us talk about coffee. 
The baristas in the Square have one of the toughest jobs of all the service staff, notwithstanding the fact they they are a bit short staffed. Everybody wants coffee throughout the day, staring at 7.00 am or earlier. The coffee in the Colonnade at breakfast is … how can I put it….not great. So ‘everybody’ comes down after breakfast for a decent coffee. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the suite, so ‘everybody’ goes to get tea and coffee for themselves and their spouses when they rise.

And of course everyone wants their coffee this way and that, almond milk, oat milk, tall skinny one and  a half shots, half full cream and half skimmed milk, and a couple of donuts oh and a shot of Khalua in that latte. And the coffee machine in TKG is not working properly so all the orders for Irish coffee come through to the square too. And these guys are churning out the coffee, one after another, and the line is six or seven long, and the takeaway mugs have run out because everyone is hoarding them in their suites and not bringing them back, and these guys are serving with a smile and remembering everyone’s  name, and knocking out three, four orders at a time, and if they didn’t keep going the whole ship would fall apart. 
They are all heroes.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

One does not exactly feel negative, but it is harder to remain positive and our recent days have been marred by new neighbours next door, who it seems are kicking cupboard doors open and smashing them closed at every opportunity, letting their suite doors slam shut at any exit and entrance, and don’t let me get started on the balcony door. We have spoken to guest services and stewardesses but nothing has been done. In the old days a tactfully written card would be sent, which usually resulted in respite. We have noticed that balcony doors are being slammed shut the length and breadth of deck five and deck six, with great thuds that actually can be felt in our suite to either side and above. Perhaps one should discuss the situation with them in person, but, if their treatment of doors and cupboards is anything to go by, they may have an aggressive approach to life and not take kindly when requested to modify behaviour.

I honestly believe that the door, cabinet, veranda door slammers do not realize the noise they are making and how it bothers others.  If they have not cruised SB before, they may not realize how easily the doors slam.  It does take some purposeful care to not let them slam.  If the staff is not willing to give them a note about it, why not slip one yourself into their note holder outside their door?  I do think most people would be embarrassed and vow to do better.  

Why do I think this? Because Mr. SLSD can be an offender.  He can be oblivious.  But, when I explained to him how important it is to close the doors with care--he was mightily embarrassed as he always aims to be polite and not bother others.  I'll have to remind him again when we sail this summer as he will once again be oblivious.  

Edited by SLSD

Agree that those cheerfully serving coffee in the square deserve accolades!   Amazing the different variants on coffee ordered.   We have also found this to be the only place for great iced tea.   Our best meals so far, including service and food, have been in Earth and Ocean, although I would rate the ribs on TK night to be the absolute best pork ribs on any ship.   We have only been on since Papeete and have few, if any complaints.   Of course the great itinerary and weather has surely colored our experience.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

Tuesday 25th April, 11.10, Pacific Ocean🌊 

Our third day at sea and yet no sight of landfall. It is not exactly an angry sea, though verging on disgruntled, a cold, steel grey colour punctuated by shifting whitecaps. Large, solitary, dark coloured  seabirds swoop alongside like flickering shadows at the edges of perception. Our first sea day was calmer, though humid, cloudy, befogged; tug o war, showers. Yesterday, as we approached and crossed the equator, brighter, but lost all internet for several hours; the Pollywog thing. Today decidedly choppy; caviar in the pool is scheduled, but I am uncertain that it will proceed as the pool will be sloshing. Deck party tonight, but if current conditions persist I suspect there will be too much rock n roll.

As we enter the final days of our voyage it is hard not to be tainted by a creeping ennui. One does not exactly feel negative, but it is harder to remain positive and our recent days have been marred by new neighbours next door, who it seems are kicking cupboard doors open and smashing them closed at every opportunity, letting their suite doors slam shut at any exit and entrance, and don’t let me get started on the balcony door. We have spoken to guest services and stewardesses but nothing has been done. In the old days a tactfully written card would be sent, which usually resulted in respite. We have noticed that balcony doors are being slammed shut the length and breadth of deck five and deck six, with great thuds that actually can be felt in our suite to either side and above. Perhaps one should discuss the situation with them in person, but, if their treatment of doors and cupboards is anything to go by, they may have an aggressive approach to life and not take kindly when requested to modify behaviour.

I wanted to take time to quietly and critically reflect on the last five and a half weeks, but in my present mood critical reflection could easily morph into a spuming vent.

But let us talk about coffee. 
The baristas in the Square have one of the toughest jobs of all the service staff, notwithstanding the fact they they are a bit short staffed. Everybody wants coffee throughout the day, staring at 7.00 am or earlier. The coffee in the Colonnade at breakfast is … how can I put it….not great. So ‘everybody’ comes down after breakfast for a decent coffee. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the suite, so ‘everybody’ goes to get tea and coffee for themselves and their spouses when they rise.

And of course everyone wants their coffee this way and that, almond milk, oat milk, tall skinny one and  a half shots, half full cream and half skimmed milk, and a couple of donuts oh and a shot of Khalua in that latte. And the coffee machine in TKG is not working properly so all the orders for Irish coffee come through to the square too. And these guys are churning out the coffee, one after another, and the line is six or seven long, and the takeaway mugs have run out because everyone is hoarding them in their suites and not bringing them back, and these guys are serving with a smile and remembering everyone’s  name, and knocking out three, four orders at a time, and if they didn’t keep going the whole ship would fall apart. 
They are all heroes.

And they get to finish early as they start early and have no other duties like waiting staff do.

It's one of the best jobs on the ship.

13 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Agree that those cheerfully serving coffee in the square deserve accolades!   Amazing the different variants on coffee ordered.   We have also found this to be the only place for great iced tea.   

Aha!  I've. never had great iced tea on a SB ship and I am ice tea drinker.  I order a whole pitcher of it through room service for breakfast.  I'll be sure to check out the tea at Seabourn Square next time.  

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

And they get to finish early as they start early and have no other duties like waiting staff do.

I’ll beg to differ, with all respect.

The barista on duty in the mornings is also on in the evening, while one who doubles up with him in the morning and goes through part of the afternoon is also waiting on tables in TKG in the evening.

Times change.

Also there are a number of staff in quarantine (again) and a few ottomans appearing outside cabin doors on various decks. 
Yes  - there is little to really be unhappy about. A few nits to pick and some personal foibles left unfulfilled. I will pronounce on those when we return home (just glanced at the weather forecast for home and it is 5 C there at present which very firmly and swiftly puts things in perspective). Now there are a few more days at sea, the pleasures of Hawaii and some jet-lagged days in Atlanta to look forward to.

I can only sympathise about the banging; I seem to have more of a 'thing' about it than most, and get really wound up enough to spoil my day.  I have been known to deliberately slam something myself at 5  a.m., just as a reminder.

It is admittedly pre covid times, but I used to ask for and get a double espresso in the Colonnade at breakfast, and add a little milk, which satisfied my morning caffeine need.  Though that would not satisfy those who need something which takes several minutes to describe, I suppose.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

I’ll beg to differ, with all respect.

The barista on duty in the mornings is also on in the evening, while one who doubles up with him in the morning and goes through part of the afternoon is also waiting on tables in TKG in the evening.

Times change.

Also there are a number of staff in quarantine (again) and a few ottomans appearing outside cabin doors on various decks. 
Yes  - there is little to really be unhappy about. A few nits to pick and some personal foibles left unfulfilled. I will pronounce on those when we return home (just glanced at the weather forecast for home and it is 5 C there at present which very firmly and swiftly puts things in perspective). Now there are a few more days at sea, the pleasures of Hawaii and some jet-lagged days in Atlanta to look forward to.

That has changed.

Perhaps the staff are a little more stretched these days and as you say there are a number in quarantine.

20 hours ago, SLSD said:

I honestly believe that the door, cabinet, veranda door slammers do not realize the noise they are making and how it bothers others.  If they have not cruised SB before, they may not realize how easily the doors slam.  It does take some purposeful care to not let them slam.  If the staff is not willing to give them a note about it, why not slip one yourself into their note holder outside their door?  I do think most people would be embarrassed and vow to do better.  

Why do I think this? Because Mr. SLSD can be an offender.  He can be oblivious.  But, when I explained to him how important it is to close the doors with care--he was mightily embarrassed as he always aims to be polite and not bother others.  I'll have to remind him again when we sail this summer as he will once again be oblivious.  

Ditto regarding my husband being oblivious about such things.  A gentle reminder usually suffices.  Similarly, on our Alaskan cruise, we didn't realize that the light on our balcony was turned on and remained on overnight.  Our next door neighbors left us a polite note asking us to check it, which we gladly did.  The switch is behind the curtain and we just were not aware of it.  

• Like 4

I agree with the opinion that baristas have a tough job. We got off the Ovation on Sunday, and missed Gabor within hours. He also was on a pre-Covid cruise, so it was great seeing him. Such a courteous, cheerful and hard working gentleman. I imagine it can be pretty difficult having to face people who haven’t yet had their morning coffee.

Wednesday 26th April, 16.30. Day 4 at sea.

Still an unsettled sea, gentler than yesterday, with cool breeze and cloud filled sky. Both the pool caviar and deck party went ahead last night. We did our usual, vowing not to go then deciding to just catch a couple of numbers by Abi and the trio, and then being offered a cocktail or two, and then being invited to join a table and before we knew it the time was getting on for midnight and a bad head and sunglasses in the morning.

We had the fillet steak from the classics menu in the MDR, with fries and a celery and apple salad on the side. We usually treat ourselves to one of these enormous steaks per cruise (trying to avoid eating too much beef). It was superb, as always, one of the things Seabourn consistently do so well. We asked to be seated in Ariel’s area. What we didn’t know was that he already had two tables of eight to look after and perhaps other guests who had asked to be seated there, plus relatively inexperienced wait staff assisting him, so he had his work cut out keeping them on track (one didn’t know what English mustard was). All handled adroitly and with panache, but we felt guilty to be unnecessarily adding to his workload. Next time we will let the MD and fate sit us where they will. Today it was the Galley lunch, which provided the perfect opportunity to go the the patio and easily get a table where we liked. 
A’s fitness instructor, Dusan, and our beloved stewardess Allesandra, are both down with COVID, and a few other regularly seen staff are not to be seen, however it seems to be circulating predominantly among crew and is not yet at levels requiring increased protocols. It seems the wretched thing is here to stay and suite quarantines and occasional mandatory mask wearing will just become another fact of cruising life that we all have to put up with, like heavy seas, or cancelled ports, shortages of berries, and invitations to hosted tables.

• Like 5

Thursday 27th April, 10.10 am, day 5 at sea

Woke at 6.00 to rise and peer through a thin sliver of light where the curtains meet. We have finally broken through the dull oppressive weather that has dogged these last few days. The sea calmer, a deep navy blue mediating the dark green grey, with a moderate swell. Dense banks of formless cloud, now shredded into tufts and clumps of cumulus in front of a pale bright blue sky; morning sunlight reflecting off the ocean in silver streaks and patches. The prospect of brighter weather and calmer seas ahead lifts the spirit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flamin_June said:

Thursday 27th April, 10.10 am, day 5 at sea

Woke at 6.00 to rise and peer through a thin sliver of light where the curtains meet. We have finally broken through the dull oppressive weather that has dogged these last few days. The sea calmer, a deep navy blue mediating the dark green grey, with a moderate swell. Dense banks of formless cloud, now shredded into tufts and clumps of cumulus in front of a pale bright blue sky; morning sunlight reflecting off the ocean in silver streaks and patches. The prospect of brighter weather and calmer seas ahead lifts the spirit.

Nice peice of glass half full

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Nice peice of glass half full

I was thinking the same. 
Due to home commitments our longest cruises have been 3-4 weeks. I have never experienced as many sea days as this itinerary holds. I am not sure how well I would do, particularly with this hot humid weather.  I have to hand it to you.  That said, being at sea and not looking at doing grocery shopping and laundry tomorrow…..hmm….

• Like 3

On 4/25/2023 at 6:46 PM, Mr Luxury said:

I was on one cruise where the morning barista was also a server in the dining room at night

this was several years ago

Edited by purpleally

Thursday 27th April, at sea, 15.34
….. and so, a few hours ago we broke through into the big blue of a calm sapphire sea and cloudless sky with a gentle generous warming sun ….. and the final of the boat building competition. I can’t begin to describe the mighty flotilla that was assembled by the pool, incorporating every ingenuity that could be begged, borrowed or stolen. None sank as they crossed the pool fanned on by the fresh breeze and Olivia, our assistant CD transformed into a daughter of Neptune. 
A splendid time was had by all.
Our last formal night tonight, the dreaded suitcase tags (neon green in our case) have arrived, packing has started. I don’t know what to do about all these shell bracelets and t-shirts. 
We will dress accordingly but go to the Colonnade tonight. All of the wait staff there, the chef, Nicholas, and Corne their MD have been charming, warmly welcoming, convivial. 
Hawaii awaits and soon journey’s end.

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 3

Our weather has been humid, but not hot.   82 or 83 degrees F. Is as hot as it’s been although it felt warmer in the sun.   Five sea days is about normal for us as we love transatlantic and transpacific cruises.   The current one had an unusual number of ports but they were all great.   The one very hot cruise we had was from Greece, it was over 90F every day.

Friday 28 Apr, 16.20, Lahaina

We are at anchor, in warm warm sunshine, the tended green peaks of Maui rising across the bay topped with clouds. Have been packing most of the day, and we have not gone ashore. It’s a beautiful view and the ship is near deserted. We pack in relay, I do a couple of hours while A gets to choose any lounger she wants and have a swim alone in the pool, we meet for lunch on the patio, and then A goes to pack, while I do paperwork, write a letter to The Captain and HD commending staff whom we have found to be exceptional (it is a long list), drink beer in the shade at the Sky Bar and tap out a few more words here.

We want to enjoy our final day without the chore of organising luggage hanging over us. Kona tomorrow, and then we disembark in Honolulu.

3 hours ago, wyattsaunt said:

Are you going to be able to spend any time in Hawaii, or are you leaving right away on your way home?

We are leaving right away, sadly. You see, it will already be May, and the garden calls. There are bulbs to plant, seedlings to re-pot, plants to tend, birds to feed and the time to do all this is pressing. But the adventure does not end right away. We fly to Atlanta, where we will break the journey for a couple of days before heading on home, via Amsterdam and Manchester (don’t ask), where our daughter will collect and drive us home. As the flights are courtesy of Seabourn Flight Ease, this journal will continue. Any one who has managed to read this far can still look forward to the group bus transfer to a hotel for lunch and then the airport, the flight to Atlanta, two days of jet-lag at the Grand Hyatt, the flight to Manchester, and a drive through the Elan Valley.

Our house/cat sitter writes: ‘the only real news is the unexpected discovery that Shakey [the cat] likes: leg of lamb, well cooked; roast beef, thinly sliced and medium; basra fish fillets, lightly steamed, and ice cream, well chilled, for afters.  I am sure you will incorporate this into his cuisine’!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2023 at 5:49 PM, purpleally said:

I was on one cruise where the morning barista was also a server in the dining room at night

this was several years ago

In fact Martin now F&B manager (actually he might be bar manager, last time i saw him a few months ago didn't pay attention to his position was glad to meet upagain) was the second time we sailed with him exactly the same.  Coffee in the morning waiter in MDR at night.

Edited by 2SailingNomads
Role clarification

1 hour ago, 2SailingNomads said:

In fact Martin now F&B manager (actually he might be bar manager, last time i saw him a few months ago didn't pay attention to his position was glad to meet upagain) was the second time we sailed with him exactly the same.  Coffee in the morning waiter in MDR at night.

Martin is absolutely wonderful. Hope we sail with him again