New MSC cruiser....tell me all about Yacht Club and Seaside!

pirate4me2

Hello!

I just booked a mother/daughter cruise for August 20 aboard MSC Seaside, and need for you seasoned MSC cruisers to tell me all about what I have to look foward to! I have done many Carnival cruises (25, with more on the way) but wanted to break out and try something "new." We were originally going to try MSC back in 2020, but obviously that trip was canceled, so here we are! I did do the status match (thank you MSC for doing that!), and we are booked in the Yacht Club. What can you all tell me about the ship and YC? What are some not-to-miss things/meals/drinks? What drinks are actually included in our YC package? 

Thanks for all you can tell me, I am super excited about this trip! 

17 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

What can you all tell me about the ship and YC? What are some not-to-miss things/meals/drinks? What drinks are actually included in our YC package? 

You will have a great time I am sure, but I would suggest you review a few of the many threads on here regarding Seaside and Yacht club, then come back with questions if anything is still unclear, as all of your questions so far are answered multiple times in those other threads...

We are also new to MSC and will be in YC in June on Divinia, and we've found the threads here and the many review videos on YouTube to be a great help.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

I've done MSC Seashore (like Seaside) in the YC and loved the experience.  There were a few hiccups though...as with any cruise I guess.  We enjoyed the main YC bar and they will make you whatever you want.  There is also a cocktail menu if you get stuck on what to order.  My go to in the evening was the espresso martini, which they did very well using real espresso.

The ship is very big!  You will have a lot of fun exploring all the areas.  Outside the YC, we gravitated toward the wine bar (self serve) as well as the lounge outside the specialty restaurants.  We didn't spend much time on the pool decks outside YC although we did sample all the water slides.  Those areas of the ship tend to be very chaotic.  

Hiccup number 1:  boarding didn't start on time and there was a major back up in the YC lounge..standing room only.

Hiccup number 2:  Our stateroom was hot.  Never really got it figured out.

We will be on Seaside in August as well.  Can't wait.  Enjoy your Seaside research!  If you have Prime there is a great documentary on the Seaside...worth the watch.

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I've done MSC Seashore (like Seaside) in the YC and loved the experience.  There were a few hiccups though...as with any cruise I guess.  We enjoyed the main YC bar and they will make you whatever you want.  There is also a cocktail menu if you get stuck on what to order.  My go to in the evening was the espresso martini, which they did very well using real espresso.

The ship is very big!  You will have a lot of fun exploring all the areas.  Outside the YC, we gravitated toward the wine bar (self serve) as well as the lounge outside the specialty restaurants.  We didn't spend much time on the pool decks outside YC although we did sample all the water slides.  Those areas of the ship tend to be very chaotic.  

Hiccup number 1:  boarding didn't start on time and there was a major back up in the YC lounge..standing room only.

We will be on Seaside in August as well.  Can't wait.  Enjoy your Seaside research!  If you have Prime there is a great documentary on the Seaside...worth the watch.

Oh I do have Prime, I will search for that! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Outside the YC, we gravitated toward the wine bar (self serve) as well as the lounge outside the specialty restaurants. 

Was the self serve wine bar included in the drink package? It is not on other cruise lines.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If you have Prime there is a great documentary on the Seaside...worth the watch.

This is worth the watch, no matter what cruise you're going on.

Edited by Hutcha

Thanks for the recommendation on the documentary - It was outstanding. There was a show about 10 years ago that was called “Mighty Cruise Ships” which focused more on the ports and not the ships so this documentary focusing on the ship’s inner workings was really interesting.

Having not met Gene Young but hearing about his passing and then watching him apparently so happy on the documentary was quite sad. Hoping there was a part of him that knew that he made so many people happy and positively touched many peoples lives.

As travelers who love the YC and the Haven, we still keep in touch with many of our favorite crewmembers that we’ve met in these areas over the years. We will be on the Seaside YC at the very end of July and look forward to hearing about your adventures in this wonderful area we enjoyed it now on the Meraviglia and the Seashore.

Warmest, Amy

On 3/22/2023 at 9:25 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

That would be a tough one to "roll with", depending of course on how hot it actually was - and if they provided a fan (are those something you can request)?

I have a thermometer on my packing list - and it helps to let me know if there's an issue, and if that issue has actually be rectified.

Most rooms are able to stay in the 68-70 range, with some in the mid 60's at "full cold" settings. If it creeps up to, or can't cool below 72-73, they'll be hearing from me!

Last cruise (Mardi Gras last month):

PXL_20230226_153614738-M.jpg

Reflection (Thanksgiving) -- In the bedroom area, it would not go below 73. By the second day I called them, and the rest of the cruise is was nice and COLD !

PXL_20221121_030419562-S.jpg

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That would be a tough one to "roll with", depending of course on how hot it actually was - and if they provided a fan (are those something you can request)?

Agree!  I requested a fan and they said no. We concluded our neighbor was sleeping with the balcony door open. 😳

On 3/22/2023 at 9:25 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

If you have Prime there is a great documentary on the Seaside...worth the watch.

Even though the documentary is a couple of years old (I saw it back then), it's still good. 

You can also watch it on YT if you don't have Prime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agree!  I requested a fan and they said no. We concluded our neighbor was sleeping with the balcony door open. 😳

No fan... darn it. What's wrong with these people? !  On Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL (and Star class on Royal as I recall) I can reach out ahead of time and request one (we always do), and 9/10 of the time it's there when we get to our cabin.

It's something as simple as this which could cause us to leave MSC behind (well, once we actually board one of their ships). I mean, IF there's a problem with the AC that can't be fixed and, subsequently, they either don't provide a fan or alternative accommodations - bye Felicia !!

There's too many fish in the sea (errr, ships on the ocean) to allow such. I don't care if they are cheaper than the competition, I'm not interested in a no-frills experience (already sailed on the Regal Empress years ago).

Tom

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

No fan... darn it. What's wrong with these people? !  On Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL (and Star class on Royal as I recall) I can reach out ahead of time and request one (we always do), and 9/10 of the time it's there when we get to our cabin.

It's something as simple as this which could cause us to leave MSC behind (well, once we actually board one of their ships). I mean, IF there's a problem with the AC that can't be fixed and, subsequently, they either don't provide a fan or alternative accommodations - bye Felicia !!

There's too many fish in the sea (errr, ships on the ocean) to allow such. I don't care if they are cheaper than the competition, I'm not interested in a no-frills experience (already sailed on the Regal Empress years ago).

Tom

Just came off a Celebrity cruise a few weeks ago and requested a fan ahead of time. It was waiting for me in our room on embarkation day. Even though we had a cool weather itinerary, I still ran the fan every night. Air movement at night is definitely one of my creature comforts.

We solved our warm room woes with MSC the next time around by booking a YC interior room. My thought was that it might be cooler if we were in an area with no balcony doors to open. My theory proved correct as it was cold enough to hang meat each night!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 1:47 PM, pirate4me2 said:

Hello!

I just booked a mother/daughter cruise for August 20 aboard MSC Seaside, and need for you seasoned MSC cruisers to tell me all about what I have to look foward to! I have done many Carnival cruises (25, with more on the way) but wanted to break out and try something "new." We were originally going to try MSC back in 2020, but obviously that trip was canceled, so here we are! I did do the status match (thank you MSC for doing that!), and we are booked in the Yacht Club. What can you all tell me about the ship and YC? What are some not-to-miss things/meals/drinks? What drinks are actually included in our YC package? 

Hope you used a TA!

Never call them as your booking can get screwed up.

Hope you don't get mystery charges even after full payment is made.

Hope you don't get downgraded into a regular balcony cabin with no reduction in fare and no access to yacht club despite paying for it.

Hope they have a yacht club Seafood buffet on your sailing as it's fantastic.

You get the premium booze package!

WiFi,mini bar, and reserved seating in the theater.

• Like 1

One of my favorite ships... Have done YC 2x on Seaside...Last time was 2019.  You will have a blast...The ship within ship concept is best in industry in my opinion.  Easy access to other areas outside YC.... if you choose.  If you tender at any port....you can expect to skip the long lines when passengers return with priority tendering. Enjoy 

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Hope you used a TA!

Never call them as your booking can get screwed up.

Hope you don't get mystery charges even after full payment is made.

Hope you don't get downgraded into a regular balcony cabin with no reduction in fare and no access to yacht club despite paying for it.

Hope they have a yacht club Seafood buffet on your sailing as it's fantastic.

You get the premium booze package!

WiFi,mini bar, and reserved seating in the theater.

Now I’m a tad concerned…we booked directly with them thru their website. Eeek. Would they really downgrade us???

5 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Now I’m a tad concerned…we booked directly with them thru their website. Eeek. Would they really downgrade us???

It all happened to me. Here's a pic of me being put on deck 8, note yacht club on my tag. Highly unusual circumstances but it happened 1 month prior to sailing.

PXL_20210925_124436611.MP~3.jpg

37 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

It all happened to me. Here's a pic of me being put on deck 8, note yacht club on my tag. Highly unusual circumstances but it happened 1 month prior to sailing.

PXL_20210925_124436611.MP~3.jpg

I don't blame you - this would stick in my craw as well...

Tom