Ports of call cancelled

FrankieSue

3 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

As for the Bar Harbor change, the Zaandam was the only cruise ship scheduled for a port call there for the month of April (the 23) with the NCL Pearl next in on May 4. My guess is that even though Bar Harbor itself is a good place to visit most times of the year it is unable to provide the things that 1K+ cruise pax are looking for this early in the season. I agree that Portland is a good replacement but it is to short of a stay to fully take in the city. 

Zaandam will port at Bar Harbor on May 5 as of right now. I’m on that cruise. 

6 hours ago, shippmates said:

You will enjoy Portland.  Very easy town to do on your own.  If you have time visit Holy Donut just look for the line,  The donuts are good and some of the flavors are very different.  Enjoy your cruise.

Totally agree on Holy Donut!  Arrived 30 min before they opened once and was tenth in line.  Very cool place!

5 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

5 hours ago, CNSJ said:

Totally agree on Holy Donut!  Arrived 30 min before they opened once and was tenth in line.  Very cool place!

5 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

I am on May 27 BOS-MON and have been told the change voted in does not affect 2022 BOS-MON-BOS runs as they voted for the change after scheds were done.  That's what local Bar Harbor merchants are counting on as well.

I would think with Zaandam's pax just a bit over the 1,000 they might continue to be welcomed but time will tell.

• Like 1

Remember Bar Harbor is exclusively a tender port so not only was this little town of around 5,000 people getting nearly a quarter of a million cruise passengers visiting per year but they were all coming in on tenders so logistically that can become a nightmare too. Luckily many cruise excursions take pax out of the town itself to places like Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain. So even though there may be less to see and do early in the season at least you wont have to deal with the crowds and congestion of the peak season.

• Like 1

Yep, that's true, but I would imagine a ship like Zaandam bringing in 1450 pax of whom likely less tan 1,000 debark due to mobility issues and the tendering you mentioned would be locally popular vice a 3,000+ pax behemoth. 

I'm from New England with a lot of time in Maine, so I'm guessing there is an element of the populace that really wants to see cruise pax in controlled numbers.  A lot of Bar Harbor restaurants and shops don't even open until cruise season and a lot of cruise pax like their fresh Maine lobstah; especially since you now only get frozen with a hefty upcharge aboard..  And, while I don't know about the exact tendering scenario at Bar Harbor, I know that at a lot of other ports local tenders are hired to free up crew for other tasks like cleaning and their own drills.  Those local tender operators are generally loathe to lose the tender business.

3 hours ago, shack said:

I am on May 27 BOS-MON and have been told the change voted in does not affect 2022 BOS-MON-BOS runs as they voted for the change after scheds were done.  That's what local Bar Harbor merchants are counting on as well.

I would think with Zaandam's pax just a bit over the 1,000 they might continue to be welcomed but time will tell.

Make that 2023 Bar Harbor stops.  Not quick enough on the edit function...

8 hours ago, shack said:

Yep, that's true, but I would imagine a ship like Zaandam bringing in 1450 pax of whom likely less tan 1,000 debark due to mobility issues and the tendering you mentioned would be locally popular vice a 3,000+ pax behemoth. 

I'm from New England with a lot of time in Maine, so I'm guessing there is an element of the populace that really wants to see cruise pax in controlled numbers.  A lot of Bar Harbor restaurants and shops don't even open until cruise season and a lot of cruise pax like their fresh Maine lobstah; especially since you now only get frozen with a hefty upcharge aboard..  And, while I don't know about the exact tendering scenario at Bar Harbor, I know that at a lot of other ports local tenders are hired to free up crew for other tasks like cleaning and their own drills.  Those local tender operators are generally loathe to lose the tender business.

I've been to Bar Harbor at least 4 times, both HAL and Cunard, and the only tenders in use were from the ship. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shack said:

Keep in mind that the cruise season a Bar Harbor corresponds with the land tourist season. So as with many other tourist locations not unusual for the tourist focused shops and restaurants to close down during the off season.

With the exception of the businesses selling excursions to cruise ship passengers there are enough land tourists to keep the businesses busy.

As with Key West, one of the main drivers was the number of cruise ship passengers starting to negatively impact the experience and attractiveness of the town for land tourists that provide more of the towns revenue.

Here's a Portland lunch recommendation: The Porthole Restaurant, 20 Custom House Wharf, Portland, ME 04101

It should be walkable for you. It's honestly better than what you'll find in Bar Harbor. We lived in Maine for years and, while Bar Harbor is lovely, it's a little overrated.

• Like 2

I just don't understand people who book a cruise so that they can eat ashore.  If one does not like the food onboard, why not just drive to a port so that you can enjoy a donut or something more significant such as a lobster roll.

What I do remember about bar harbor is the story about a tender running into an island in the fog.

I like to see tours around or away from the city but then I'm not a foodie but enjoy unique landscapes.

Cruise companies know that some cities don't want 1,000's of pax flooding a town but despite that they still offer destinations which they will cancel after final payment.  Few people read the fine print but strangely continue to believe in the cruise brochures offering ports they wish to visit.

• Like 1

I don't book a cruise "just to eat ashore," but I love to try local food.  It's part of experiencing the destination. On one of our Canada/New England cruises, I had lobster roll in almost every port, just because I could. (Spent too much time in the Bell museum in Baddeck, so we had to settle for a quick ice cream stop.)

🦞

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't book a cruise "just to eat ashore," but I love to try local food.  It's part of experiencing the destination. On one of our Canada/New England cruises, I had lobster roll in almost every port, just because I could. (Spent too much time in the Bell museum in Baddeck, so we had to settle for a quick ice cream stop.)

🦞

Same here. On a Canada/New England cruise we took a few years ago, we decided to have lobster rolls in many of the ports, and decide which was best. (The winner was the West Street Cafe in Bar Harbor.) I  also fell in love with poutine in Quebec City, and with BeaverTails.  Luckily, there was a BeaverTail shop in several other Canadian ports. 😊

And I’ll give a huge thumbs up to the Holy Donut in Portland. Best donut I’ve ever had.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Same here. On a Canada/New England cruise we took a few years ago, we decided to have lobster rolls in many of the ports, and decide which was best. (The winner was the West Street Cafe in Bar Harbor.) I  also fell in love with poutine in Quebec City, and with BeaverTails.  Luckily, there was a BeaverTail shop in several other Canadian ports. 😊

And I’ll give a huge thumbs up to the Holy Donut in Portland. Best donut I’ve ever had.

West Street Cafe is great!!! I don't remember what my best lobster roll was on that trip, but I know the "worst" was McLobster, which I tried out of curiosity (in Halifax). It wasn't bad, but it lost points for too much lettuce "filler."  

I'll skip the poutine and enjoy a beaver tail instead. 

• Like 1

Hi all new to this board. We are looking at one of the Montreal to Boston cruises, and from what I am reading here, the Bar Harbor stop that is listed should stay this year. That was one of the ports selling my wife on booking this pretty much last minute, at least for us. Thankfully work is flexible enough. Would hate to book only for it to change. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 8:29 AM, spleenstomper said:

She's also due in August on our return from Iceland - so I'm watching what happens with interest. I know no port is guaranteed but I don't care which ship it is - we book based on itinerary  pretty much soley.  I thought the Bar Harbour limits were not coming into effect  until 2024 - this says that the 2023 schedule will be honoured Bar Harbor Cruise Ship Plans for 2023 (wdea.am) 

It does appear that there ae no visits until early May - this is the official list  PortCall.com

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I was there on Adventure of the Seas and used local tenders.  The ship does not actually have any tenders onboard. 

Roy

I really hpoe it does - the other term used for  "tender" is "life boat" 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I really hpoe it does - the other term used for  "tender" is "life boat" 

There are lifeboats,  and then there are lifeboats that can be used as tenders. Adventure of the Seas may not have any lifeboats that can be used as tenders. 

2 hours ago, lissie said:

this is the official list  PortCall.com

Thanks for that list as it helps in seeing when the crunch times for BH tends to be which is towards the end of the months starting in July. It looks like it peaks during the two week period between September 18 to October 1 when 16 different ships at capacity would bring in over 37,000 potential visitors!!

• Like 1