Silly question about disembarkation

Merry25

First time cruiser here. Can someone explain the disembarkation process to me?  I was reading a post and it said something about people scrabbling for their luggage.  Sooooo, at the risk of sounding mad, is everyone's luggage in a room and you have to find it?  What stops someone walking off with your suitcase if you have a later disembarkation time?  

12 minutes ago, Merry25 said:

First time cruiser here. Can someone explain the disembarkation process to me?  I was reading a post and it said something about people scrabbling for their luggage.  Sooooo, at the risk of sounding mad, is everyone's luggage in a room and you have to find it?  What stops someone walking off with your suitcase if you have a later disembarkation time?  

That’s essentially it I’m afraid. Scrabbling is too strong a word, and there are some clues as to where to look, but there’s nothing to stop a suitcase falling into the wrong hands, maliciously or mistakenly.

Years ago, when the children were teenagers, we disembarked and found our cases all together. My eldest daughter had a fairly distinctive red case and thought that the one by our group was hers. On closer inspection she discovered it wasn’t her case and by now, the baggage hall was nearly empty. It was evident that someone had mistakenly taken hers and had left their own red case. Luckily there was a mobile number on it and I called the number. My daughter’s case was halfway up the M4 on the way to South Wales as the man on the other end confirmed that his case was red! I told him I would visit the helpdesk and sort everything out, so took his red case to the desk and explained everything. My daughter’s case was delivered to our home in about 5 days without any hassle or payment from our side of course. 

Sorry to ramble, but I forgot to add the point I was trying to make, which is that having your mobile number on the tag is a good idea. In our case above, the case had well and truly left Southampton but it could still have been in the car park or close by. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 2

Leave you luggage labels on. Put your luggage outside your cabin in the evening, usually before midnight but could be earlier. Your luggage is taken off the ship and transferred to the baggage hall where it is placed in deck order.

There are baggage trolleys available as you enter the hall so collect one to put your luggage on. Porters are available if needed. Proceed out of the baggage hall via the red or green channel to your car/coach/taxi

Brian

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Harry - you are welcome !

But saying that there are "clues where to look" is disingenuous. It makes it seem like as Easter Egg hunt ! The luggage is clearly laid out in disparate zones, so it is easy to find the section where your case is located.

Which is fine in theory, but doesn’t always work. And when it doesn’t, it’s exactly like an Easter Egg hunt! 

One good tip to help you quickly find your luggage is to make it easy to identify. Lots of different ways from buying fancy straps to wrap round each case, or tying distinctive ribbons around the top handles, or buying brightly coloured luggage which is not too popular.

However since lots of luggage looks similar, even when you have found what you think is yours, is to check carefully the cabin number on the P&O luggage label or your own personalised luggage label. This will save you ending up halfway home when someone rings to tell you they have your suitcase and suspect you have theirs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume you are referring to disembarkation at Southampton.

Your are given a disembarkation time and requested to assemble in a named bar or lounge just before your disembarkation time. Then your group disembarks as an entity and as others have said you find your case in the warehouse grouped by deck number.

You are also given the option of self disembarkation whereby you don't have to leave your case outside your cabin but wheel it off the ship yourself. Self disembarkation is usually pretty early before the bulk of the passengers start to disembark.

Its a bit of a hassle to drag your case off the ship but you get to keep your case overnight, you get off the ship before the crowds and you get off first. The big drawback is having to haul your case yourself, but you can take your time, no hurry.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I think my main concern was just the idea that someone else could take my luggage (inadvertently ot not)  if it's all there together and you yourself are not there yet -  if you see what I mean?  At least at the airport you all get off the flight together and are usually at the luggage carousel together, so you'd see if someone nabbed your case in error.  I have no idea why I thought anyone would want to steal my suitcase full of older lady clothes!  Perhaps I should label it as such!  😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Merry25 said:

I have no idea why I thought anyone would want to steal my suitcase full of older lady clothes!  Perhaps I should label it as such!  😂

Maybe you are better dressed than another older lady😁.

• Haha 1

I definitely agree with the making your cases visible - the easiest thing is to tie a bright coloured ribbon on the handle - hard to believe anyone would want to steal a case, and they would instantly know yours was not theirs.  Ideally  have a bright coloured case plus a ribbon!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Merry25 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I think my main concern was just the idea that someone else could take my luggage (inadvertently ot not)  if it's all there together and you yourself are not there yet -  if you see what I mean?  At least at the airport you all get off the flight together and are usually at the luggage carousel together, so you'd see if someone nabbed your case in error.  I have no idea why I thought anyone would want to steal my suitcase full of older lady clothes!  Perhaps I should label it as such!  😂

There is lot's of cheap luggage tags for sale online which you can get with your name printed on them, tie it to the handle then the chances of anybody lifting you case is very remote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are plenty of luggage straps that can be made personalised and are 3 digit code

lockable and cost very little to buy .

Now if you happen to have the same colour /design case ,same luggage strap with the

same writing on it, and  someone still takes it then you must be a very unlucky person .

• Like 1

With all this talk of marking your case with straps or yellow ribbons which won't work if more than one person does the same i remember watching a customs program where a guy who had a Red Rope tied round his case and could not open it and said it wasn't his case.

Customs didn't believe him but surprise surprise t was not his case and someone else had tied a Red Rope round there case and had lifted it.

Not trying too worry you or anything. 😇

15 hours ago, david63 said:

That only works if the handle is visible!

Most cases have 2 handles one on the side and one on the top.  I just make sure that there are ribbons on both handles, I have never seen cases at Southampton where at least one handle is not visible. 

I  also have very brightly coloured straps around the cases.

I feel more confident of getting my cases at Southampton than at an airport.

• Like 2