Alcohol brought onboard

Abby Normal

Hi All,
There is a lot of confusion over Celebrity’s alcohol policy.  The website indicates that 2 bottles of wine per stateroom may be brought onboard at embarkation, while it states 2 bottles per adult in another place.  Has anyone tested 2 bottles per person yet?  There is also debate as to the corkage fee.  Does anyone have recent experience?  Is it still only charged in restaurants and lounges, or is it now charged at embarkation?  TIA.

Abby

Edited by Abby Normal
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Hi All,
There is a lot of confusion over Celebrity’s alcohol policy.  The website indicates that 2 bottles of wine per stateroom may be brought onboard at embarkation, while it states 2 bottles per adult in another place.  Has anyone tested 2 bottles per person yet?  There is also debate as to the corkage fee.  Does anyone have recent experience?  Is it still only charged in restaurants and lounges, or is it now charged at embarkation?  TIA.

Abby

There’s no debate on it. (Well it’s cc so there’s debate on everything LOL). But the policy is right in their FAQ:

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guest (of legal drinking age) is permitted to bring onboard up to two (2) 750 ml bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/conduct-policy#alcohol-policy

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I read this, but there is another place on the website that states it’s 2 bottles per stateroom.  I wasn’t asking for a discussion on what the website says, but rather I was asking if anyone has tried to embark with 2 bottles per person.  Have you done this?  Did you take 4 bottles into your stateroom on embarkation day?  Were you charged a corkage fee as soon as you stepped on the ship?  These are the questions I want answered, but thank you for the link.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Hi All,

Abby

To me it seems simple (allowed 2 per guest)

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guest (of legal drinking age) is permitted to bring onboard up to two (2) 750 ml bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest.

17 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Yes, I read this, but there is another place on the website that states it’s 2 bottles per stateroom.  I wasn’t asking for a discussion on what the website says, but rather I was asking if anyone has tried to embark with 2 bottles per person.  Have you done this?  Did you take 4 bottles into your stateroom on embarkation day?  Were you charged a corkage fee as soon as you stepped on the ship?  These are the questions I want answered, but thank you for the link.  

Yes I did this in November when we brought 4 bottles of Australian Shiraz. I had the premium package and was never charged corkage.

Even in the past when there was a corkage fee for beverage package holders you were never charged at embarkation. Only if you brought the bottle into a dining room. Whatever you read they are misinformed. Hence relying on an official policy. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Cruise till you drop said:

To me it seems simple (allowed 2 per guest)

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guest (of legal drinking age) is permitted to bring onboard up to two (2) 750 ml bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest.

Please see my post where I link to the official Celebrity policy regarding corkage.  This information is not current. 

4 minutes ago, dcbiker97 said:

Please see my post where I link to the official Celebrity policy regarding corkage.  This information is not current. 

what I posted in terms of policy was directly from your link to the Celebrity policy.

Sorry I’m confused.  Maybe some screen shots of the 2 policies would help

Edited by Cruise till you drop

6 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

what I posted in terms of policy was directly from your link to the Celebrity policy.

Sorry I’m confused.  Maybe some screen shots of the 2 policies would help

I copied and posted a direct quote from the FAQ. Here’s a screenshot. Celebrity is not known for their website ease of use. This mirrors my experience this past November.  

58DB16E9-7E62-4113-B456-7A000B860BE1.jpeg

Edited by dcbiker97

55 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Your questions have been answered, the policy/experiences is/are:

two (2) bottles per person

corkage fee: ANY passenger without an alcohol beverage package AND brings unopened bottles outside of their cabin, fee $25.00.

You have received reliable information from all who have responded to your inquiry for clarification.

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, dcbiker97 said:

Yes I did this in November when we brought 4 bottles of Australian Shiraz. I had the premium package and was never charged corkage.

Even in the past when there was a corkage fee for beverage package holders you were never charged at embarkation. Only if you brought the bottle into a dining room. Whatever you read they are misinformed. Hence relying on an official policy. 

Thank you so much!  I wanted to hear someone’s personal experience, not another lecture on policy.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Your questions have been answered, the policy/experiences is/are:

two (2) bottles per person

corkage fee: ANY passenger without an alcohol beverage package AND brings unopened bottles outside of their cabin, fee $25.00.

So there would be no corkage fee if guests were to consume the alcohol in their cabin?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

So there would be no corkage fee if guests were to consume the alcohol in their cabin?

Hopefully you would be able to secure some decent wine glasses and walk out of your cabin with them full of your wine.

39 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Actually, guests can always consume alcohol brought aboard in any venue where drinking is taking place and allowed without corkage fee.

The fee is applied when an 'un-opened' bottle is brought out of our cabin and wants the Sommelier or other beverage person to open for consumption.

While on the other hand, we can ask the Room Attendant to bring a cork screw and wine glasses, all at no fee, for us to open and take wherever we like aboard.

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Arubamoose said:

Hopefully you would be able to secure some decent wine glasses and walk out of your cabin with them full of your wine.

I must say, IME, it is very difficult for one to get the Riedel wine glasses... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

4 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Since it's Saturday, does this count as the weekly reconsideration of this question for last week, this week, or both?

j it just depends on when your week ends/starts, which for me can be a moving target, to be sure!!!

bon voyage

• Haha 2

My DF & I were boarding the Equinox March 9th in Ft Lauderdale. We had 4 bottles of wine, plus a few sodas & water. I’m Elite, but she is not. There was sign just before the X-ray machine that said “No alcohol, sodas or water” , something to that effect. She got nervous & I told her we were fine. We put our bags through & had no problem! After, I told her it may be for NCL, as they don’t allow anything to be brought on. So yes, 2 bottles of wine each!

Barbara

• Like 1

Apologies for the slight hijack, but what is X's policy on bringing on board alcohol purchased at intermediate port stops? Some other lines (Princess for one) certainly allow pax to bring alcohol back and are happy provide a receipt and to keep the bottle(s) for them, returning them the day before disembarkation. Does Celebrity also do this or do they confiscate & dispose?

19 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Apologies for the slight hijack, but what is X's policy on bringing on board alcohol purchased at intermediate port stops? Some other lines (Princess for one) certainly allow pax to bring alcohol back and are happy provide a receipt and to keep the bottle(s) for them, returning them the day before disembarkation. Does Celebrity also do this or do they confiscate & dispose?

Official policy is that they will keep it for you when you reboard. I've seen tables that they set up for this purpose. But, it's actually pretty uneven. They don't always do it and just let you continue on. They won't ever confiscate and dispose. If they do take it, it will be given back at the end of the cruise. But again, this is inconsistent. We've had it both ways. 

Edited by dcbiker97

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

That's correct.   Also if you have a drink package you can drink it anywhere without corkage fee.

On Equinox a week ago, I purchased Blue Curaçao in Curaçao. Security asked if I had a bottle of alcohol & I said yes. He told me I had to turn it over to a crew member standing nearby. There had to be around 80 boxed bottles & 1 bottle of something in a plastic bag. As I went to hand him my bottle (in a plastic bag), I asked if he promised not to lose it. He quietly said to put it away & take to my cabin. As I walked away, he said “You’ll get it back the last night of the cruise”, loud enough for security to hear!  On Eclipse a few years ago, from Buenos Aires-Chile-San Diego, I purchased wine at a few of the ports & they let me take back to my cabin. So, yes, they could take it & give it back the last night. Just be prepared for either way!

Barbara

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

We brought 4 bottles onboard in December, no corkage fee

• Like 1