Infinite Balconies

jules815

A little perspective here. Under the best of all worlds, a true veranda rocks. Nothing beats it. But — in this world , where a real veranda can be too rainy it windy or sooty or sun burny or dark and metal-tunnel-y, the Iv provides a viable alternative , perhaps superior for. destinations with a lot of wind or rain. It has its place i the repertoire. And shouldn’t need silly name-fluffing.  

Loved sailing in the IV on Beyond!  Loved the extra space in the cabin (clean & climate-controlled when the window is shut).  We'd put the window down for a bit when in port.

I noticed Captain Kate locked them once or twice on our 7 day sailing, but I can't recall if anything particular was going on that would cause her to lock them (we had calm seas but she was high-tailing it back on the last sea day because she was running a different route to avoid bad weather, so maybe the increased speed was a reason).

I do wish the chairs were more comfortable and it was hard to get our swimwear to dry without a traditional balcony, but those were my only minor negatives.

Sometimes you decide to try something new - like when we cruised in a Central Park balcony on RCCL.  Didn't love the disorientation with not being able to see the ocean or ports.  Wouldn't book one again but it didn't ruin our cruise.  I don't understand how an IV alone can ruin someone's experience or why they draw so much ire on these threads.  X has plenty of veranda ships - sail on one of those, I guess?

Like someone said upstream - if you spend a lot of time on your balcony, don't pick an IV!

8 hours ago, Lauren and John said:

A little perspective here. Under the best of all worlds, a true veranda rocks. Nothing beats it. But — in this world , where a real veranda can be too rainy it windy or sooty or sun burny or dark and metal-tunnel-y, the Iv provides a viable alternative , perhaps superior for. destinations with a lot of wind or rain. It has its place i the repertoire. And shouldn’t need silly name-fluffing.  

I think all cabins should be inside cabins.  Problem solved.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Ditto but have never been in a suite, did the deluxe porthole.  I strongly disagree that equal amounts love and hate the IVs, there are more IV haters than there are IV lovers both on CC and in real life.  If you don't spend much time on a traditional balcony, you'll probably enjoy the more space an IV provides.  I have stated several times if they wanted to evolve, they should find a creative way to make the bi-fold doors weather tight and when closed allow the AC to run.  That would solve the top complaints about them

I would not sail an IV, but I am one person posting here.  And in fact have never sailed in one so I don't count.  But IV haters? Honestly, I don't see how you can really prove this. A lot of people here on CC really like the IV and offer very positive reviews.  Or there are neutral people too - but not in the category of haters.  Yes some negative posts and haters.  But in Real Life?  Have you seen a poll by Celebrity or the travel/cruise industry on this?  There is just one over-riding observation.  Celebrity keeps building the E-ships and keeps selling them out.  There are thousands of people per ship and per cruise spending money for IV's.  Even if you hate them.  Or even if I would not sail in them.  No matter.  The numbers (and profits) speak for themselves.

52 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I would not sail an IV, but I am one person posting here.  And in fact have never sailed in one so I don't count.  But IV haters? Honestly, I don't see how you can really prove this. A lot of people here on CC really like the IV and offer very positive reviews.  Or there are neutral people too - but not in the category of haters.  Yes some negative posts and haters.  But in Real Life?  Have you seen a poll by Celebrity or the travel/cruise industry on this?  There is just one over-riding observation.  Celebrity keeps building the E-ships and keeps selling them out.  There are thousands of people per ship and per cruise spending money for IV's.  Even if you hate them.  Or even if I would not sail in them.  No matter.  The numbers (and profits) speak for themselves.

I oversimplified, IV hater = those who prefer a traditional balcony

IV is a nice alternative for those that do not want to spend the $$$ on expensive suites or who cannot get a sunset balcony.  There are not very many sunset balconies so the iv is the next best alternative when you do not get a choice.  You might just as well accept it and decide you will like it and have a wonderful cruise.  We are!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mauimary said:

IV is a nice alternative for those that do not want to spend the $$$ on expensive suites or who cannot get a sunset balcony.  There are not very many sunset balconies so the iv is the next best alternative when you do not get a choice.  You might just as well accept it and decide you will like it and have a wonderful cruise.  We are!!!

There are the porthole balconies which tend to be far cheaper than SVs.  While I’d prefer a “regular” balcony, portholes are better than IVs IMO

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mauimary said:

A hot dog is a nice alternative to a filet mignon.  You might just as well accept it.  But who’s going to believe me?

I get to try both this year.

Edited by zitsky

32 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

There are the porthole balconies which tend to be far cheaper than SVs.  While I’d prefer a “regular” balcony, portholes are better than IVs IMO

Yes,  but why should you have to settle for either?

A SV is rather pricey...  AND at the wrong end of the ship...

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I oversimplified, IV hater = those who prefer a traditional balcony

Yeah I figured!  Lol.  Believe me I wish the next Celebrity ships had at least a mixture of IVs and traditional.  But I am happy with S Class and M Class.  Hopefully they will not sell them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What do you mean “wrong end”?

Well ultimately the best spot on the ship is the front.  This is where the bridge is located and the suites and the SkyLounge on S class.  However when pulling into port I would prefer a spot in the middle on one of the sides over the rear.

The SVs remind me of the station wagons that used to have rear facing seats.  This did not last very long.

I prefer to see where I am going vs where I have been.

Edited by NMTraveller

12 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Well ultimately the best spot on the ship is the front.  This is where the bridge is located and the suites and the SkyLounge on S class.  However when pulling into port I would prefer a spot in the middle on one of the sides over the rear.

The SVs remind me of the station wagons that used to have rear facing seats.  This did not last very long.

I prefer to see where I am going vs where I have been.

And others like me prefer the opposite. Sunset bar is many people’s favourite, ours included, with a perfect view of where the ship has been. There is no right or wrong, it’s all personal preference.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

And others like me prefer the opposite. Sunset bar is many people’s favourite, ours included, with a perfect view of where the ship has been. There is no right or wrong, it’s all personal preference.

I was going to book Caribbean cruise on the Beyond Aqua class this fall. Thinking I would have a standard balcony I did some research and realized no cabins had regular balconies. I booked the Equinox instead, our 4th sailing on her. We are Elite Plus, love sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine in the afternoon. Love the smaller ships been on them all.  Being an old time sailer, and not loving rear facing cabins, we will stay with the S &M class.  I think the younger cruisers will really enjoy the beauty of these new ships.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

I was going to book Caribbean cruise on the Beyond Aqua class this fall. Thinking I would have a standard balcony I did some research and realized no cabins had regular balconies. I booked the Equinox instead, our 4th sailing on her. We are Elite Plus, love sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine in the afternoon. Love the smaller ships been on them all.  Being an old time sailer, and not loving rear facing cabins, we will stay with the S &M class.  I think the younger cruisers will really enjoy the beauty of these new ships.

S & M class?  How do I sign up?  Asking for a friend.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Yes,  but why should you have to settle for either?

A SV is rather pricey...  AND at the wrong end of the ship...

Yes you have to settle on something else when there are no SV to choose from. The only other alternative is a different class of ship that has a true balcony on the sides!!

2 hours ago, mauimary said:

Yes you have to settle on something else when there are no SV to choose from. The only other alternative is a different class of ship that has a true balcony on the sides!!

Not true. Had a great great cruise on the Apex in a DPV. 

Just now, kwokpot said:

Deluxe porthole veranda. It's one of two non suite cabins with an actual separate balcony.

Sounds good. I take it one can actually sit outside. You would have a porthole and be able to go outdoors and look over a rail?