How does RCL continue to "oversell" their ships?

If they make offers and they are taken that’s one thing.  If they start bumping people with flights or those who have flown over seas that’s entirely different.  Family cruises with multiple cabins booked are another situation.  I’d be furious. They need to tread very carefully with this.  Their desire to have every cabin filled is over reaching.  It’s not like a hotel or flight where you can go to another hotel or later flight. 

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Wonder May 1 is also oversold, and two of our friends and their children .from town have been bumped

Just curious, were they bumped against their will or were they given an offer that they accepted?

• 3 months later...

It seems that it is still happening. We booked a guarantee balcony for a cruise that leaves on the 26 August. Yesterday(8/23) I got the phone call so say that they had overbooked by 8 cabins. I was offered a ocean view room and a full refund. I am ok with that.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, philps said:

It seems that it is still happening. We booked a guarantee balcony for a cruise that leaves on the 26 August. Yesterday(8/23) I got the phone call so say that they had overbooked by 8 cabins. I was offered a ocean view room and a full refund. I am ok with that.

What ship.

I'd have taken the offer too. Wondering since I booked thru a TA if I'd ever get a direct call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philps said:

And you know, if I got that deal I'd probably be in such a party mood that they'd get most of their money back in extras I'd buy. 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, philps said:

That's different. They didn't oversell the ship, just a category.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philps said:

I would take that deal. Better than a call saying that you are being denied boarding. 

All travel industry businesses oversell to maximize occupancy. Why? People cancel. People no-show. Airlines, hotels, cruise ships.... I did some analysis of travel patters for an airline a while back, and the analysis was almost flight by flight. Some itineraries had up to 25% last minute cancellations and no-shows, so it was to the airline's advantage to significantly oversell those flights and deny boarding if everyone showed up. 

I'm sure overselling has been going on for years, and by all cruise lines.

When we were offered a cancel and re-schedule years ago (different line), I believe we were chosen because we also had their flights and transfers.  When we accepted, they took care of all the rebookings.  No hassle for us, and they had the inside network to do so.  Even though I ended up going to work on Monday after being expected to be away for almost two weeks, it was a win for us in the long run.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

All travel industry businesses oversell to maximize occupancy. Why? People cancel. People no-show. Airlines, hotels, cruise ships.... I did some analysis of travel patters for an airline a while back, and the analysis was almost flight by flight. Some itineraries had up to 25% last minute cancellations and no-shows, so it was to the airline's advantage to significantly oversell those flights and deny boarding if everyone showed up. 

Is that what royal up does.

Let's people bid for a up grade cabin when that grade cabin on the ship is full, just incase of last minute cancellation or no shows. 

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm sure overselling has been going on for years, and by all cruise lines.

When we were offered a cancel and re-schedule years ago (different line), I believe we were chosen because we also had their flights and transfers.  When we accepted, they took care of all the rebookings.  No hassle for us, and they had the inside network to do so.  Even though I ended up going to work on Monday after being expected to be away for almost two weeks, it was a win for us in the long run.

NCL called us back in 2014 and offered us a full refund on our Canada/ New England cruise out of NYC.  Plus we got a $1000 credit towards our Canal Cruise the following Spring.  Have not had a deal like that since, finally got to Halifax on RCI a few years later.

5 hours ago, philps said:

Score,! I’ll take a free cruise, even if it’s not in a preferred cabin

• Like 3