Winemaker diner; Caymus- all princess cruises

FrankieJayIII

13 hours ago, justafem said:

1) I ordered blue, hubs ordered med-rare.  I got mine at med, hubs got his at med well.  Yes, we told our host.  Yes, it was apologized for, but we were not offered remake and truthfully, we wouldn't have accepted.  

One WMD we went to several years ago had a real kitchen disaster as at least half the steaks that came to the table were not cooked to order.  It is long enough ago that IDK if plates were mixed up, but it seemed too many were just wrong and they replaced them all.  I felt bad for the host MD, but what could he do.

10 hours ago, XBGuy said:

My steaks often come medium rare.  Generally, I just shrug and eat what is on my plate.

I am fine with MR to M temp, but like it more to the MR side, so I ask in between a lot.  Aren't I a PITA?  Anyway, I could not eat a MW steak - that is approaching shoe leather for me and just ruins a filet mignon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Less $ than what?  The Chef's Table is way more expensive than the Winemaker's dinner.   Chef's table is more elaborate so maybe worth it.  The Winemaker's dinner is only $40...we have done it twice.

26 minutes ago, suzyed said:

No it's not excellent...it's also not $140....it's $40.

Better read the announcement - and don't be holding a drink in your hand as it might spill from the shock.

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Less $ than what?  The Chef's Table is way more expensive than the Winemaker's dinner.   Chef's table is more elaborate so maybe worth it.  The Winemaker's dinner is only $40...we have done it twice.

Princess now, on some ships,  have a new winemakers dinner, I’ve seen a posting, at $140 with special wines. I was comparing my Chef’s Table to the new $140 dinner. 

If you look at this link you will see the details….https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-offers-new-dining-experience-for-passengers/97908

These gourmet, multi-course meals will come in at around $140 per head.

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

Hello everyone! 

There were two threads for this topic, Winemaker diner; Caymus- all princess cruises and New Princess Wine Dinners are comingThe two threads have been merged into this one thread. Per the Cruise Critic software, now all posts appear in post date/time order on this newly merged thread. If you were not aware there were two threads for this topic, please read back through this newly merged thread to make sure you have seen ALL of the posts so far.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have everyone aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/4/2023 at 9:36 AM, startedwithamouse said:

Safe to presume our favorite Silverado blending in Vines isn't coming back. 😞

We didn't see it on the Enchanted over NYE....of course there is no Vines on Enchanted.  But we didn't see it on the Caribbean Princess in October either.

Very confusing having both Winemakers dinners mingled on the same thread. 
The $40 Dinner was Silverado and it was nice.
If the $140 Dinner is all Caymus we may consider it, but not if it is a combination of lesser

wines mixed in with the Caymus.

The $40 Winemakers Dinner on the Regal was truly the best value specialty meal I've ever enjoyed on a cruise ship . I'm out at $140 .

On 4/6/2023 at 1:31 PM, XBGuy said:

@justafem I agree that you had a VERY disappointing experience.  As a person who likes his steaks prepared "blood rare" I am familiar with your frustration in getting the preparation that you requested.  My steaks often come medium rare.  Generally, I just shrug and eat what is on my plate.

Blood rare to medium is a HUGE overcook . It should be returned to the kitchen .

My preference is medium rare and now order rare in all but high-end steak restaurants since so many places like ship steakhouses invariably over cook it . 

On 4/8/2023 at 2:04 PM, suzyed said:

If the $140 Dinner is all Caymus we may consider it, but not if it is a combination of lesser

wines mixed in with the Caymus.

The title of the dinner is (intentionally) misleading.  It should be called "The Wagner Family Wine Dinner".  All of the wines being served have ties to the Wagner family, but are not from Caymus Winery.  For example, Chuck Wagner started the Mer Soleil label, but is now run by his son, Charlie.  Mer Soleil is an entirely separate entity in the Santa Lucia Highlands whereas Caymus is in the heart of Napa.  But both are rooted in the Wagner Family.  Same goes for all of the other wines.  Think of it in the same way as if a cruise package were being sold called the "Seabourn Cruise Sampler" that offered 4 cruises for one price.  One cruise was on a Seabourn ship, one on a Cunard ship, one on Princess and one on Carnival.  All part of the same family, but using the Seabourn name as the title of the package instead of "Carnival Brands" would be misleading.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

The title of the dinner is (intentionally) misleading.  It should be called "The Wagner Family Wine Dinner".  All of the wines being served have ties to the Wagner family, but are not from Caymus Winery.  For example, Chuck Wagner started the Mer Soleil label, but is now run by his son, Charlie.  Mer Soleil is an entirely separate entity in the Santa Lucia Highlands whereas Caymus is in the heart of Napa.  But both are rooted in the Wagner Family.  Same goes for all of the other wines.  Think of it in the same way as if a cruise package were being sold called the "Seabourn Cruise Sampler" that offered 4 cruises for one price.  One cruise was on a Seabourn ship, one on a Cunard ship, one on Princess and one on Carnival.  All part of the same family, but using the Seabourn name as the title of the package instead of "Carnival Brands" would be misleading.  

Exactly what I was wondering about.  

@richstowe, I have sent back a steak only once.  Just my preference.  I would rather not sit uncomfortably while my wife either uncomfortably starts her entree by herself or sits uncomfortably waiting for my retry to be presented.  Again, this is just me.  There is no need for anybody to jump in and tell me that I'm wrong.

You have presented me with the opportunity to tell this story.  On a visit to Crown Grill I ordered a Porterhouse Steak requesting it to be "blood rare."  When my steak was presented to me, the server asked me to check it to see that it was prepared satisfactorily.  That was a bit unusual.  In numerous visits to Crown Grill, I just could not recall the server asking me to check my steak.

It was then that I looked back and saw the head chef (I really don't know what the head chef of the Crown Grill is called. but he wore a tall toque and was, clearly, not a line cook.  I had seen him on previous Crown Grill visits, and we somewhat stiffly greeted each other when we encountered each other out in the public area one afternoon.) and the headwaiter were both standing behind the server.  Well, feeling that I couldn't just brush off the server, I picked up my knife and fork and sliced my steak.

Obviously, the look on my face gave me away.  I did not say a thing, but the chef elbowed the server aside and swept my plate away.  I do not recall if my wife started on her Mussel Pot as we waited or if she waited with me.

When the second try was presented, I was again asked to check it.  This time it was perfect.  I am no dummy.  I put on my happiest face, gushed about how great it looked and thanked them profusely.

@JimmyVWine, I had composed an epistle explaining the Wagner Family of Wines somewhat similar to yours, but my computer decided I really did not want to post it, and, so, it shot my masterpiece into the metaverse,

@suzyed hit the head right on the nail.  These events are being called the "Caymus Winemakers Dinner" and not the "Wagner Family of Wines Dinner" because Caymus is a well-recognized brand whereas there are not that many people who have any idea what the Wagner Family of Wines is.

I had never heard of the Sea Sun label.  I was wondering if this announcement was an April Fools prank perpetrated by students at California State University, Northridge--CSUN or "Sea Sun."

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

@richstowe, I have sent back a steak only once.  Just my preference.  I would rather not sit uncomfortably while my wife either uncomfortably starts her entree by herself or sits uncomfortably waiting for my retry to be presented.  Again, this is just me.  There is no need for anybody to jump in and tell me that I'm wrong.

I get it and didn't mean to jump in . I'm married to, parent to or related to many kind people who have received what they didn't ordered and will not complain, except to their tablemates .🙄

I recognize the discomfort of sending something back and "spoiling" the meal and reserve this only for terrible, not moderate issues . To each his own .

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

You have presented me with the opportunity to tell this story.  On a visit to Crown Grill I ordered a Porterhouse Steak requesting it to be "blood rare."  When my steak was presented to me, the server asked me to check it to see that it was prepared satisfactorily.  That was a bit unusual.  In numerous visits to Crown Grill, I just could not recall the server asking me to check my steak.

It was then that I looked back and saw the head chef (I really don't know what the head chef of the Crown Grill is called. but he wore a tall toque and was, clearly, not a line cook.  I had seen him on previous Crown Grill visits, and we somewhat stiffly greeted each other when we encountered each other out in the public area one afternoon.) and the headwaiter were both standing behind the server.  Well, feeling that I couldn't just brush off the server, I picked up my knife and fork and sliced my steak.

Obviously, the look on my face gave me away.  I did not say a thing, but the chef elbowed the server aside and swept my plate away.  I do not recall if my wife started on her Mussel Pot as we waited or if she waited with me.

When the second try was presented, I was again asked to check it.  This time it was perfect.  I am no dummy.  I put on my happiest face, gushed about how great it looked and thanked them profusely.

@JimmyVWine, I had composed an epistle explaining the Wagner Family of Wines somewhat similar to yours, but my computer decided I really did not want to post it, and, so, it shot my masterpiece into the metaverse,

@suzyed hit the head right on the nail.  These events are being called the "Caymus Winemakers Dinner" and not the "Wagner Family of Wines Dinner" because Caymus is a well-recognized brand whereas there are not that many people who have any idea what the Wagner Family of Wines is.

I had never heard of the Sea Sun label.  I was wondering if this announcement was an April Fools prank perpetrated by students at California State University, Northridge--CSUN or "Sea Sun."

I love my Caymus Cab so I would really disappointed if I got to the dinner and it was not truly a "Caymus dinner"  I don't have a problem drinking the Cayman Cab all the way through dinner!   

5 hours ago, suzyed said:

I love my Caymus Cab so I would really disappointed if I got to the dinner and it was not truly a "Caymus dinner"  I don't have a problem drinking the Cayman Cab all the way through dinner!   

No problem, sir.  That will be $240 for you!!

BTW, I am not sure what you meant by confusion in earlier post mentioning the former WMD.  You mentioned Silverado.  I think the 2-3 times I was at one, it was Mondavi. Anyway, the $40 WMD is history - same as long cruiser OBC bonuses, internet minutes, etc.  I don't see any confusion - they replaced the product and have made a feeble attempt to justify the new price.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

BTW, I am not sure what you meant by confusion in earlier post mentioning the former WMD.  You mentioned Silverado.  I think the 2-3 times I was at one, it was Mondavi. Anyway, the $40 WMD is history - same as long cruiser OBC bonuses, internet minutes, etc.  I don't see any confusion - they replaced the product and have made a feeble attempt to justify the new price.  

Silverado Vineyards on the WMD last month, Enchanted.  Very nice!

Guess I’ll just have the memories! 😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jwattle said:

Or maybe they will do a midi price WMD inn the Wine Cellar as In the past, and do the "Caymus Dinner" for $140 in the CG...? Options, so many options....

Would be nice.  But at $40, they probably weren't making much money off of those dinners and my guess is that they have been sunsetted.  Not sure that they will run in tandem, just as the New Grounds Coffee Package isn't being run in tandem with the new Beverage Packages and Plus/Premium Fare Pricing.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

OK, but we did a WMD on the Enchanted in January....didn't know they stopped doing it since then.

18 minutes ago, suzyed said:

OK, but we did a WMD on the Enchanted in January....didn't know they stopped doing it since then.

It's a new announcement and states implementing in late May.  They didn't tell us when stopping the old one, but obviously it will end between now and late May.

I'm sorry folks, but I did not see anything in the Princess announcement that says the $40 WMD was going to be discontinued.  Maybe it is and maybe it isn't.  I would not be surprised if there are people (probably not on this board) who would attend the WMD in the dining room one night and the Caymus event in the Crown Grill another night.

I have never attended one of these WMD events, but my understanding is that there is a special area in one of the dining rooms for this.  Is that area used for anything else?  As long as we are all speculating here, are there any ideas regarding the future of that area if the WMD dinners are discontinued?

@JimmyVWine asks a reasonable question about the profitability of this $40 WMD event.  My gut feeling is that it is profitable.  However, my gut feeling is also that this would be a good time for Princess to raise the price to $50 or $60 pp.  I can also see them repricing the Sabatini's Super Tuscan Dinner that I attended a few years ago from $60 to $80 pp.

To add another personal comment, I would be surprised (pleasantly) if I found the Caymus event to be the equal of that ST dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I'm sorry folks, but I did not see anything in the Princess announcement that says the $40 WMD was going to be discontinued.  Maybe it is and maybe it isn't.  I would not be surprised if there are people (probably not on this board) who would attend the WMD in the dining room one night and the Caymus event in the Crown Grill another night.

I have never attended one of these WMD events, but my understanding is that there is a special area in one of the dining rooms for this.  Is that area used for anything else?  As long as we are all speculating here, are there any ideas regarding the future of that area if the WMD dinners are discontinued?

@JimmyVWine asks a reasonable question about the profitability of this $40 WMD event.  My gut feeling is that it is profitable.  However, my gut feeling is also that this would be a good time for Princess to raise the price to $50 or $60 pp.  I can also see them repricing the Sabatini's Super Tuscan Dinner that I attended a few years ago from $60 to $80 pp.

To add another personal comment, I would be surprised (pleasantly) if I found the Caymus event to be the equal of that ST dinner.

Is there still a Super Tuscan dinner?  Haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere.

• Like 1