Arcadia. What is your opinion?

yorky1

17 hours ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Am looking at booking an Arcadia cruise (18 nights) later in the year (November) so would be interested as to any further insights you (or anyone else) can offer on this ship.  We have cruised on Aurora and Britannia before but not Arcadia.  Most recently cruised on Celebrity Silhouette - where we enjoyed the speciality dining restaurants and the access to the martinis and cocktails via the drinks package.  I assume P & O / Arcadia will not compare with this (sadly) but would welcome thoughts 

If I may ask a few specifics

Age range.  We are late 50s / early 60s.  How will that compare with the people on board (I suspect April will have similar clientele to November) ?    Does it matter ?   Does everyone go to bed at 10.30 ?   We are normally up to about 12.30 ish ?  

Only two speciality restaurants on Arcadia - are they both open ?   How difficult to book ?   Are they any good ?  How much are they charging ? 

Noticed you mentioned a mini Glass House ?   What is this ? 

Could you let me know what cocktails would be available on board (and which fall within the Package limit - which I think is still £6.95) ?   I understand Champagne is outside the package limits - so a real shame you cannot simply pay the difference (which would seem a fair way). 

More generally, is the ship well stocked for drinks ?  I like nice reds with dinner ? 

References elsewhere to the ship being cold ?   We are sailing in November - so would like there to be some heating ! 

References to queues / wait times for the main dining room ?   Is this a problem ?   Are we better on fixed dining (probably do 8.30) or Freedom ?  

Thanks for any help

Sorry to intrude on your holiday - do enjoy  

Ages onboard are in the main over 60's as you might expect from an adult only ship, we are mid 50's and usually feel a generation behind the majority, not sure this matters though. Not a party ship but you wouldn't be lonely at 12.30 unless the seas are rough.

Glass House is a foodie bar that many like on the other ships and they have trying to fit one in Arcadia, so the mini version is part way however it's all about managing your expectations and this is a step forward.

Ocean Grill and Sindhu both open and fully functioning, they are reasonably busy and you will have to make reservations on the App when onboard. Cover charges apply, OG is £15 per head plus extras for some dishes.

Wine and Cocktail selections are not available the same in every venue, one bar agreed to a cocktail for me not on the list where another bar refused.

Had a few drinks in the Piano bar last night, that was quite pleasant listening to some popular piano music.

Whilst we were there heard one couple discussing how awful the show was and another couple saying how good it was, like most things in life you will have to make your own mind up!

Most on the menu cocktails would fall in the package but it's not for us, we may have a couple of cocktails each per day plus a bottle of wine with dinner but have never considered a package as a saver.

Sorry can't tell you much about MDRs as we tend to prefer a slower pace for dinner and choose to spend our OBC in the specialty places.

It's not for everyone but despite our day one reservations we are continuing with our future cruises booked on Arcadia, might change in the next couple of weeks though 🙂 

Plumbing - Still no signs of problems where we have been but no doubt minor things around due to age, did notice a cabin being wet-vac'd  but don't think that was plumbing related.

• Like 2

Just thought i would ask if anybody has recent knowledge of Arcadia. She was the first ship that I went on , back in 2007. Back then as a nearly 60 year old I was one of the younger passengers. Jenny and I have avoided cruising since Covid but feel the time is right to get back into it. There is a nice Greek Islands cruise in 2025 on Arcadia so I thought I would ask on here to get any feedback, good or bad, about Arcadia now.

Peter

24 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

Just thought i would ask if anybody has recent knowledge of Arcadia. She was the first ship that I went on , back in 2007. Back then as a nearly 60 year old I was one of the younger passengers. Jenny and I have avoided cruising since Covid but feel the time is right to get back into it. There is a nice Greek Islands cruise in 2025 on Arcadia so I thought I would ask on here to get any feedback, good or bad, about Arcadia now.

Peter

Have a look at this thread, one passenger has been posting updates from Arcadia's current cruise.

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Needs a cabin refurb… badly.

Do you think there is any chance of that being done though?  We were last on her in summer 2019 and does not sound any better.  Must admit Aurora last November was in far better condition, yet as the older ship may be considered more likely to go before Arcadia, but I do wonder if Arcadia may be being run to the ground for a reason.

It’s been announced that considerable money is being spent on both ships aside from new furniture. That money is earmarked for dry dock periods but exact work has not been announced.

For a long time cabins have been built as modular units. So replacing a bathroom, the wall panelling/mirrors, bed heads ir cupboards is not easy as it’s all permanently fixed to the structure of the room.

The modules are designed to go in, be welded and never come out. So it’s not all about money or desire but largely about practicality.

I did hear that sofas were being changed at some point.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tring said:

Do you think there is any chance of that being done though?  We were last on her in summer 2019 and does not sound any better.  Must admit Aurora last November was in far better condition, yet as the older ship may be considered more likely to go before Arcadia, but I do wonder if Arcadia may be being run to the ground for a reason.

As for run to the ground, the official line is no more new ships being ordered at present until debt is reduced. So Aurora and Arcadia will likely sail into their 25s and 30s unless Princess decide they have too many ships once the two sphere class ships arrive.

• Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

As for run to the ground, the official line is no more new ships being ordered at present until debt is reduced. So Aurora and Arcadia will likely sail into their 25s and 30s unless Princess decide they have too many ships once the two sphere class ships arrive.

By which time the cabins and bathrooms will be totally unfit for purpose. As you said, they badly need a refurb now, let alone in a few year's time !

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

By which time the cabins and bathrooms will be totally unfit for purpose. As you said, they badly need a refurb now, let alone in a few year's time !

He has always thought it possible P&O could pick up at least one Grand class ship from Princess though, so unless Princess sales really take off, which is probably unlikely, I suspect that is what will happen and one or both smaller ones go.  Looking at the new prices, I do wonder how well the P&O cruises will sell before they sail, but costs still have to be met + profit worth having or it will be better from them to scrap a ship or two if not saleable for other use.  As we get further away from the pandemic, presumably scrap prices will in crease.  Sorry, I have never been considerd an optimist 🙂

As a Princess fan, what can you tell me about these two new Sphere class ships?  What passenger capacity are they and when are they due to debut?

6 minutes ago, tring said:

As a Princess fan, what can you tell me about these two new Sphere class ships?  What passenger capacity are they and when are they due to debut?

Not a fan exactly, just prefer Princess to P&O.

Capacity of the new ships will be around 4400. The first, Sun Princess, sails next Spring. Prices are eye wateringly expensive at present.

As I won't be sailing in them any time soon, I haven't been paying too much attention to the details. But one thing that did strike me,  was that there is a distinct move to a ship within a ship concept, with more expensive cabins getting private deck areas, restuarants etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But one thing that did strike me,  was that there is a distinct move to a ship within a ship concept, with more expensive cabins getting private deck areas, restuarants etc.

It's what Americans want, the UK audience gets short shrift when it comes to the new ships.  MSC even offer inside Yacht Club cabins and these sell well.  For American cruisers status is everything, hence the obsession with loyalty programmes.  On Celebrity if you don't take the second room service and turndown they add extra points to your loyalty!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Not a fan exactly, just prefer Princess to P&O.

Capacity of the new ships will be around 4400. The first, Sun Princess, sails next Spring. Prices are eye wateringly expensive at present.

As I won't be sailing in them any time soon, I haven't been paying too much attention to the details. But one thing that did strike me,  was that there is a distinct move to a ship within a ship concept, with more expensive cabins getting private deck areas, restuarants etc.

Thanks for the reply.  I would not say the prices on the new big P&O ships are that high (even for the newly released ones), which is what I meant in my prevous post, as I have been into the thread about them this morning - as well as looking at some of the cruises on the P&O website.  All boils down to getting what you pay for though, I  expect.

That ship within a ship with private deck areas will mean even less deck space for the plebs (like us) given that deck space is very restricted now in my book, considering we have always preferred smaller ships.  About 30,000 tonne has generally been our target, though really only Azamara are on that level for us now, so have varied that a bit for specific itineraries.

Barbara

Edited by tring

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Will it get a genuine cabin refurb next year as indicated by P&O, or will it just be carpets and curtains?

I think Moley already indicated that a genuine refurb is not possible, as the modular construction of the cabins makes anything more than cosmetic changes unfeasible.

I guess that if the ship was taken out of service  for a lengthy period, anything is possible,  but somehow I can't see that happening. Sweating assets is the order of the day.

3 hours ago, tring said:

He has always thought it possible P&O could pick up at least one Grand class ship from Princess though, so unless Princess sales really take off, which is probably unlikely, I suspect that is what will happen and one or both smaller ones go.

I think the first Grand class to exit Princess will go to P&O Australia to give them a standard fleet.

You also have to remember that the first grand class ship is approaching 25 years old so older than Aurora.

It will be interesting to see how the fleets develop over the next five years. Whilst there are no new ship deliveries due in 2026 onwards I expect we might get the first hints of new ship orders ready for 2028 to 2030 either at the end of this year, or at the beginning of the next. I would argue that it is a chicken and egg scenario regarding ordering ships and the clean technology being there to power the ships.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I think the first Grand class to exit Princess will go to P&O Australia to give them a standard fleet.

You also have to remember that the first grand class ship is approaching 25 years old so older than Aurora.

It will be interesting to see how the fleets develop over the next five years. Whilst there are no new ship deliveries due in 2026 onwards I expect we might get the first hints of new ship orders ready for 2028 to 2030 either at the end of this year, or at the beginning of the next. I would argue that it is a chicken and egg scenario regarding ordering ships and the clean technology being there to power the ships.

I had forgotten about the environmental constraints, which will become increasingly important no doubt.  Will also be an even bigger advantage for building bigger ships, as will presumably be less polluting per person travelling. 

We have been thinking for a while now we need to get a lot of our really wanted travel done, but perhaps not just because if a our age, which is what we have been thinking, but because it is still possible in a manner in which we prefer.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, tring said:

I had forgotten about the environmental constraints, which will become increasingly important no doubt.  Will also be an even bigger advantage for building bigger ships, as will presumably be less polluting per person travelling. 

We have been thinking for a while now we need to get a lot of our really wanted travel done, but perhaps not just because if a our age, which is what we have been thinking, but because it is still possible in a manner in which we prefer.

Yes you really don't know what the future holds,the pandemic came at a really bad time for us,not getting any younger it put the brakes on travel just when we were already thinking the clock was ticking.

As for ships in the future,is it really bigger ships,if ports start to restrict numbers are they not going to be a liability,useful for 'cruise bys' though!

It must be difficult to plan to be fair,some ferry companies are already asking shipbuilders to fit good old fashion engines instead of nice clean gas units as the Ukraine conflict has made gas supply expensive & unreliable,as wars are sadly not likely to go away,knowing which way to go must be a nightmare,who knows the 'old brigade' may be around a while yet!

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 1:09 PM, Hampshire Steve said:

Ages onboard are in the main over 60's as you might expect from an adult only ship, we are mid 50's and usually feel a generation behind the majority, not sure this matters though. Not a party ship but you wouldn't be lonely at 12.30 unless the seas are rough.

Glass House is a foodie bar that many like on the other ships and they have trying to fit one in Arcadia, so the mini version is part way however it's all about managing your expectations and this is a step forward.

Ocean Grill and Sindhu both open and fully functioning, they are reasonably busy and you will have to make reservations on the App when onboard. Cover charges apply, OG is £15 per head plus extras for some dishes.

Wine and Cocktail selections are not available the same in every venue, one bar agreed to a cocktail for me not on the list where another bar refused.

Had a few drinks in the Piano bar last night, that was quite pleasant listening to some popular piano music.

Whilst we were there heard one couple discussing how awful the show was and another couple saying how good it was, like most things in life you will have to make your own mind up!

Most on the menu cocktails would fall in the package but it's not for us, we may have a couple of cocktails each per day plus a bottle of wine with dinner but have never considered a package as a saver.

Sorry can't tell you much about MDRs as we tend to prefer a slower pace for dinner and choose to spend our OBC in the specialty places.

It's not for everyone but despite our day one reservations we are continuing with our future cruises booked on Arcadia, might change in the next couple of weeks though 🙂 

Plumbing - Still no signs of problems where we have been but no doubt minor things around due to age, did notice a cabin being wet-vac'd  but don't think that was plumbing related.

Hampshire Steve, I do hope you are continuing to enjoy your cruise. May I please ask you a couple of questions?
Are there musicians playing in the Crows Nest and Piano Bar every evening before dinner? Is afternoon tea now being served in the MDR? Are the Captain’s Cocktail Parties operating the same as they did Pre COVID? Has evening turndown resumed? Are the speakers / lecturers using the theatre for their morning talks? (On some previous cruises guests have had to cram into unsuitable smaller venues). 

5 minutes ago, Lyndylou57 said:

Hampshire Steve, I do hope you are continuing to enjoy your cruise. May I please ask you a couple of questions?
Are there musicians playing in the Crows Nest and Piano Bar every evening before dinner? Is afternoon tea now being served in the MDR? Are the Captain’s Cocktail Parties operating the same as they did Pre COVID? Has evening turndown resumed? Are the speakers / lecturers using the theatre for their morning talks? (On some previous cruises guests have had to cram into unsuitable smaller venues). 

Good Morning from Malta

We arrived early this morning (about 1.30am) in order to beat some rough weather, impressed the Captain did that rather than miss this nice and first for us, port.

There are no officers parties at present.

Lecturers - We have had some presentations by David Russell on the second war relevant to the seas around us and Malta, these have been in the main theatre. No doubt there will be more in the coming days, this may well be a change over port.

No evening turndown unless you are in a suite. No chocolates, Still the french biscuits

Musicians playing in all venues on and off during the evening as before including a singer in the Ocean Grill and an opera singer in the Globe

I think afternoon tea is only in the Belvedere buffet.

Menus in the specialty restaurants are unchanged. MDR menus look to have a fair selection and Steaks and Chicken are nearly always an option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 2:05 PM, Megabear2 said:

For American cruisers status is everything, hence the obsession with loyalty programmes.

That would explain Princess colouring the label outside your cabin to indicate your loyalty status

• Like 1