Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

Safe travels, Jim and Iain.  We are sailing with friends on the Equinox on Saturday and they are flying into MIA tonight from Montreal Canada.  Bizarre weather here in FLL, we drove from Charleston yesterday with an overnight in Titusville. 
Love following along with you and thanks so much for your updates…

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We live in Alabama and usually spend the night at Ft Pierce and then finish the 2-hour drive to Ft Lauderdale the next morning. If Jim and Iain made it to Atlanta sometime this evening, that's what I would suggest if they wanted to break up the drive over Friday and Saturday morning.

Totally agree... that's our preference too, much more reasonable and an easy drive on embarkation day.

We usually do the straight shot home which hopefully gets us back to Atlanta after the horrible traffic on the Southside has let up some.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boxkite said:

DaKahuna, we stayed at the Renaissance when we had a February cruise and ate lunch at a nice Thai restaurant next door. Had dinner that night at Boatyard, also very nice.

Ask for a room that has a view overlooking the draw bridge and cruise port.

The hotel has free shuttle service to the cruise port.

Last time I was there and checked, the shuttle wasn't free.  I think my friend called us an Uber.  Fist time we stayed there before a cruise, we walked to the ship.   (First Caribbean voyage of the Royal Princess in berth 2, right by the 17th street entrance.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:46 PM, Jim_Iain said:

It' that time again to spend some time at Sea.   This set of cruises (almost B3B) will be a little different as we will be disembarking in Rotterdam and will spend a week in Amsterdam after the TransAtlantic.     I may end up breaking it into 2 Live Posts

Time is flying by as it always does when the last week before the cruise approaches.   We will be flying to FLL on Thursday April 13.

First up will be a 7 day - Key West and Belize cruise on Apex.

image.png.aab2ecf85b9a46201c618a5df856264a.png

7 Night Key West  Belize and Grand Cayman Cruise from Fort Lauderdale

Love following a Jim_Iain live trip report!!
B3B!!!
So exciting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Jim,

You may be in the air now.  I had the chicken dish that you ordered on a recent AA first class flight. The chicken breast was so dry,  Gone  are the days of even decent meals in first class.  Safe travels.

I will say it was interesting.   Not badly cooked but had a pretty strong Turmeric  coating.   

Well we have made it to DFW and overnight at the Hyatt DFW.   Absolutely beautiful evening here.

We have a confirmed reservation into Miami for tomorrow.... I'm feeling better about going into Miami.   I'm currently watching the WPLG Local 10 in Miami and looks like rains are still coming down pretty heavy.    Broward County have cancelled schools for tomorrow.   Latest forecast is for FLL to remain closed until at least 5:30 am.

Since we don't have a flight until 6PM I inquired about 1/2 day rates.   The clerk was really helpful and said they don't offer them but if I went to daystays.com I could book a 1/2 day through them for Hyatt Regency DFW.    Really a good site and in 10 minutes I had a reservation  so we can stay in our room unitl about 1 1/2 hours prior to our flight.

• Like 26

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well we have made it to DFW and overnight at the Hyatt DFW.   Absolutely beautiful evening here.

We have a confirmed reservation into Miami for tomorrow.... I'm feeling better about going into Miami.   I'm currently watching the WPLG Local 10 in Miami and looks like rains are still coming down pretty heavy.    Broward County have cancelled schools for tomorrow.   Latest forecast is for FLL to remain closed until at least 5:30 am.

Since we don't have a flight until 6PM I inquired about 1/2 day rates.   The clerk was really helpful and said they don't offer them but if I went to daystays.com I could book a 1/2 day through them for Hyatt Regency DFW.    Really a good site and in 10 minutes I had a reservation  so we can stay in our room unitl about 1 1/2 hours prior to our flight.

So happy to hear you made it to DFW and have plans in place for tomorrow. Rest well this evening!

5 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

JAX shows availability on AA from DFW tomorrow.  Drive time on I-95 to FLL is 5 hrs (I've done it easily) and it's minimum 3-lanes entire way.  Most traffic is heading north since Easter week is almost over and the snow birds are leaving, too.  Just a thought.

Thanks all for all the suggestions.    At least with a good solid booking I'll check in tomorrow on and keep an eye on conditions.    I'm pretty confident we will make it and when I called Chase Saphire they said their travel interruption insurance will cover the additional hotel nights.  

I've never filed a claim with them before so should be interesting.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, juanrod said:

@Jim_Iainthere is flights tomorrow on AA to Tampa then would have to drive to FLL but looks like a few options that way 

I also have a backup booking for PBI -   I'm feeling more comfortable tonight than I was yesterday.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Land of Ice and Snow said:

Safe travels, Jim and Iain.  We are sailing with friends on the Equinox on Saturday and they are flying into MIA tonight from Montreal Canada.  Bizarre weather here in FLL, we drove from Charleston yesterday with an overnight in Titusville. 
Love following along with you and thanks so much for your updates…

They were just saying on the news the amount of rain is going down as a record of the most rainfall in a 24 hours period anywhere in Florida.

Glad you and Iain made it to DFW and have a flight to Miami tomorrow night, enjoy the nice Texas weather tonight and tomorrow.

If you are bored tomorrow you can always Uber to Bass Pro Shops and take care of your hunting and fishing needs!

• Haha 1

JIM

glad you are on your way with several options.. cruise port and cruise lines are following weather, roads  and flooding conditions closely.. They will do all they can to fill the ships and sail away..even with possible delays!

rest well!

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have a confirmed reservation into Miami for tomorrow.... I'm feeling better about going into Miami.   I'm currently watching the WPLG Local 10 in Miami and looks like rains are still coming down pretty heavy.

So glad you are confirmed into Miami! Even if FLL opens tomorrow, it is going to be a mess, with one runway open.  And as mentioned, more rain tonight.  Can’t wait to follow along on the rest of your trip!

12 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

I was on a Round Britain cruise last year,,if you haven’t booked a tour on Shetland already i would suggest doing it know,,,there is a lack of vehicles on Shetland and tours get booked up quick.

I also see your cruise has Cobh overnight,,there is some great little pubs and they put on live music when a ship is in,,,,fiddles and Bodhran at the ready.

I can see lots of unsteady people walking back to the ship that night.

With Liverpool,Waterford and Belfast this is a great itinerary.

I will be on the Silhouette cruise from Southampton on 3rd,,,the same itinerary as the one you missed with COVID last year.

The cruise last year was a shambles,,,I’m giving X a second chance.

Any recommendations for best pub in Cobh for local music as you mention it is an overnight port?

7 hours ago, haynesra said:

Any recommendations for best pub in Cobh for local music as you mention it is an overnight port?

Hi

There is a pub 100m from the cruise terminal called Kelly’s Bar who have live music on.

My favourite is the Rob Roy on Pearse Sq just a bit further along.

My last visit before lockdown on Reflection …..in the Rob Roy.

The train station is next to the ship,,,20 minutes into Cork City.

099EB807-0B58-4018-A3F4-26846254FC11.thumb.jpeg.9db017725d0017311ee4c64cd1798794.jpeg

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Someone on another thread reported the 5 am opening has been pushed back to 9 am.

Saw that.... I'm watching the Miami news right now and looks like things are starting to flow again.   The 1st flight from DFW to FLL was cancelled this morning but so far all flights are moving on schedule.

• Like 6