Is this cutting it too close for getting to flight?

Just had a cruise cancelled on Thursday - ice storms, thunder storms, random airline excuse for flight cancellation. Booked to arrive two days in advance. Airline couldn’t get me to the port until after the ship left for a transatlantic crossing. Absolutely nothing anyone could do as everyone was trying to get flights rebooked. Also it was Easter weekend - so there was nothing available. Bottom line - whatever you are comfortable with.

42 minutes ago, Clovis8 said:

Disembarking a cruise in Seattle in may. Cruise arrives 6 am. I had flight booked for 1:30 pm but airline just moved it to 11:10 am. 

think there is any chance I can make it? 

Self disembark, use a uber, you will be in the airport by 8am wondering what to do for three hours.  Add to that RD64 contribution and Wow when things go wrong they go very wrong..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Self disembark, use a uber, you will be in the airport by 8am wondering what to do for three hours.  Add to that RD64 contribution and Wow when things go wrong they go very wrong..

Thanks that is what I was thinking too. What’s rd64?

51 minutes ago, Clovis8 said:

I assume you can get off almost as soon as the ship docks at 6 am? Do I need to line up early? 

Even if they dock at 6am, plan on an hour to clear customs.   Self disembark means you carry ALL your own bags off the ship.  You go to the area they tell you (yes, you can get there early) and when they say so, follow the leader and self-disembark.   From there, get a car/Uber and go.   30 mins later you are at the airport. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clovis8 said:

I assume you can get off almost as soon as the ship docks at 6 am? Do I need to line up early? 

They should give you a timetable for departures. Look at the time for self-disembark and get there 45 minutes earlier. 

• Like 2

I would not feel comfortable with that flight.  However, if everything goes well you should make it.

Usually when an airline makes that big a change to a flight schedule, they will allow you to make a no cost change to another flight.  You might want to see if there are other slightly later flights.

• Like 1

We were able to just barely make a 9:30am flight from SeaTac when the airlines moved our flight up after our Ovation cruise.  I have to admit it was a close call and we had to hustle, and security lines were very long and slow.  It might be worth investing in TSA-precheck, which we ended up doing after this event.

We have a 12:30 flight home after our August cruise and I was a little concerned too.  I read about Port Valet and plan on using in hopes it speeds up the disembarkation process a little. Any one use this in the past?

2 hours ago, CLM0928 said:

We have a 12:30 flight home after our August cruise and I was a little concerned too.  I read about Port Valet and plan on using in hopes it speeds up the disembarkation process a little. Any one use this in the past?

It does not do much in making your debarkation quicker. You save time at the airport by not having to wait in line to check baggage or getting your boarding pass. You should be able to walk off the ship as soon as first numbers are called. 

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Usually when an airline makes that big a change to a flight schedule, they will allow you to make a no cost change to another flight.  You might want to see if there are other slightly later flights.

usually when they make that big of flight change, it is because that have eliminated that mid afternoon flight completely.  They tend to move as many as possible to the closest flight in either direction, before or after the original time.  That would leave me to believe the only option for the OP, who can move their flight for free, is going to be late afternoon or early evening.

At least this has been our experience with the post pandemic reduction in flights, which BTW has as much to do with a lack of Air Traffic Controllers as with air crews.

Assuming no issues with disembarkation or road construction causing traffic back ups, you can be to SEATAC in 35-40min.  Travel time is less of an an issue than getting through ticketing and security.  If your departure is on a Sat/Sun, you can expect longer lines at SEATAC.  Given that, the timeline is doable, but unforseen traffic or a high travel day could cause you some stress.