Sargassum Seaweed at Coco Cay?

BigB67

9 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They could use as plant fertilizer.  Seaweed is rich in nutrients and great for compost/fertilization.

Great idea on paper, but the stench would result in too much lost revenue while at CCay. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They could use as plant fertilizer.  Seaweed is rich in nutrients and great for compost/fertilization.

Yes, they could but that takes time and as stated above, nice idea on paper.

Some locations would claim that it isn’t as simple as “cleaning/clearing” a beach.

With an island as small and confined as CoCo Cay the question is very much dependent on quantity whether they could deal with it effectively but fortunately it isn’t regularly reported to have been a problem so far. Coco Cay doesn’t appear to have a lot of undeveloped space where it could be safely stored without impacting some activity if the quantity was significant.

• Like 1

If there is that much, which I doubt, that the island couldn't store it, my guess is that they would just move it to the "leeward" side and let the wind blow it away/out to sea from the island.  

On 4/14/2023 at 7:38 PM, c-leg5 said:

And do what with it?

What activities are on the east side?

Remove it from the island  and put it on a boat and send it elsewhere.

https://www.iadb.org/en/improvinglives/turning-trash-treasure-tackling-sargassum-jamaica

When the sargassum is rotting and unfit for making fodder, Awganic can use the seaweed to produce charcoal or “ecoal.” 

According to Morrison, this alternative biofuel could save many Caribbean forests from being cut down to make charcoal. Sargassum burns cleaner and does not emit much dust or smoke. It also burns longer, making it perfect for cooking jerk, a traditional Jamaican style of seasoning and preparing meat.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2023 at 3:50 PM, BigB67 said:

Just wondering if the Sargassum seaweed roaming the ocean is expected to be a problem for Coco Cay in the coming months? Has it been a problem in the past?

Well I think its pretty bad. In May of 2022 I was at Coco Cay via Oasis. I was at South Beach at a land cabana. I was in the water less than 10 mins got stuck in a muck of dead sea weed and slime and mushy sand. My ex-wife who was with me had to help me out as I was stuck. Those events occurred on Wednesday and by Saturday afternoon I had gangrene coming out my foot. The Medical staff bungled it up also. Adding to the problem. Got off ship next day and drove directly to home in MD and then went by Ambo to hospital. That night at 7:30 on a Sunday they did surgery and debried my foot and amputated my pinky toe and part of the instep. 4 more surgeries amputation more removing more skin and tissue going up my foot towards my ankle. At that point I had 3 toes amputated and half my foot was missing. Thats when they told me they knew what it was Saltwater Necrotizing Fasciitis which they said was very aggressive. They told me they could not close the wound as there was nothing to work with. The decision was made for a Lbka (left below knee amputation) and was completed on June 23 2022. For 3 weeks they tried to get ahead of it and they could not. I spent a total of 59 days at Hopkins and another 44 days at a rehab getting stronger and practicing balance. Royal Caribbean acts like they care, they turned me over to their insurance carrier. Be careful in any water especially with dead seaweed and a mucky sea floor.

Wow....that is some old seaweed!  More than a year old in fact.  😉 

Just left Coco Cay a few hours ago.  Beach lovers can rejoice....water was clear of drifting seaweed.  

8 hours ago, Cruizeguru said:

Saltwater Necrotizing Fasciitis

Catastrophe!  I can certainly see how you could be so disheartened, but this could happen in any ocean on any island or beach.  Don't see how RCI could have been more accommodating.  They obviously do a great job of beach cleaning, how else could anyone combat this ameba or whatever it is.  It is in all the oceans and cousins are in any fresh body of water that gets warm on land as well.  I don't get in either if I have any kind of lesion on my feet, it only takes a small pinpoint opening in the skin for these things to get in.  I never get in a lake or any small body of fresh water if it gets hot.  So sorry for the hell you've been through though, God bless you.

So far in Florida no mention of being worried about it this year.  I imagine Coca Caye would be the same with some variables.

• Like 1

Yet again the importance of taking care of one's health.....

"Healthy people can get streptococcal necrotizing fasciitis. However, it is most commonly found in the setting of systemically or locally immunocompromised individuals. Classically, these are adults with underlying disease, such as diabetes mellitus, peripheral vascular disease, or neoplasm."