Splendor Transatlantic Cruise

W

Summary: Miami Lisbon– March-April 2023 TA on Splendor

A.   What We Loved:

1.   The Regent experience of an affable, competent crew and staff working hard to make the cruise memorable for the passengers – especially on a full ship. Lots of new faces BUT service was back to pre-COVID form.

2.   The fellow passengers who were seasoned travelers and delightful dinner companions; we almost always share a dinner table.

3.   The “3 Blondes” – Jude As CD; Tanner as ACD; and, Clair as SH – what a terrific TEAM! They handled their areas with skill

4. The gifted Guest Entertainers – many were WOWs! – especially Shimi Goodman the tenor and Chris Hamilton, the “Piano Man”.

5.   The Splendor’s elegant, spacious public areas – beautiful – our favorite ship for decor.

6. “Included” laundry – Our heroes are the laundry staff who handled our daily offerings beautifully and the main reason we contribute to the Crew Fund.

7.   The terrific variety of the dinner menu in CR including a fish dish (the"black, ugly fish") very special to Funchal.

8. Gino -the Wow as the nightly  pianist in the OL – a very talented pianist/vocalist.

9. “ABBA Night” in the Atrium; the return of the “Block Party”; the County Fair: and the best Crews Capers show that we have seen in our 24 Regent cruises.

B.  What We Liked:

1.  The Production cast for their shows and the interactions with them throughout the ship. All the voices weren’t spectacular but the choreography, costuming, staging and music support of the high energy shows was most enjoyable.

2. Lunches in La Verandah – for us the best meal of the day. DW had the daily pasta and a tasting from the carving station, and bites of several desserts. I usually had several small portions of the day’s salad offerings and a cheese plate. And.. my favorite non-alcoholic beer – Heineken  "0".

The Speakers who had interesting, relevant  presentations.

C.  Disappointments

1.   Yes, the weather that caused us to miss the Azores (where we have never been); essentially prohibited me from using my spacious Concierge verandah; and minimized our meals at both the Pool Grill and the large aft deck of La Verandah.

2.   The “Tea at Reid’s” excursion in Funchal – very mundane, hurried and a far cry from Regent’s “Tea at the Lord Nelson” in Cape Town

D. Tidbits:

1. Supposedly: Grandeur team will include Captain Luciano (spell?) who recently was Master of the Splendor; David Nivens as CD and Gino as OL Pianist.

2. I asked many staff (including the GM) and no one knew that Christy Brinkley is the Splendor's Godmother nor is their a portrait or plaque of her displayed on the Splendor!

3. A small example of Regent service - At lunch, I got a yen for my usual peanut butter and crackers. I mentioned to the wait staff and within 10 minutes a small bowl of peanut butter and a plate of crisp crackers was served to our table - Thanks Regent. 

e were on the recent TA on Splendor (on which we had done the inaugural cruise - 3years ago). Had a super time!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Jim, I need an honest opinion from you - is Jude as good as Margaret as CD?

Marc

Doesn't have Margaret's voice BUT who does! Jude ran GREAT Trivia; the OL was packed to overflowing; the passengers were experienced yet I don't think any team got a perfect score (not crazy hard as many wins were 13 or 14 out of 15.) Jude has solid theatrical experience and presence. For our TA, Jude was "blessed" with 2 outstanding co-workers, the ACD and SH - time will tell as she works with weaker personnel.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We found Jude to be a great CD! A barrel full of energy and fabulous personality… just as good as Margaret. Maybe better. 
sheila

And John Barron?

I know he's back with Seabourn now

23 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

C.  Disappointments

2.   The “Tea at Reid’s” excursion in Funchal – very mundane, hurried and a far cry from Regent’s “Tea at the Lord Nelson” in Cape Town

We're signed up for "Tea at Reid's" for our NYC to Barcelona cruise next April on the Grandeur.  If this was a disappointing tour, were there tours in Funchal that your fellow cruisers loved?  Maybe we should pick something else.  Thanks

It was disappointing because our expectations were high - we had done the magnificent Regent "Tea at the Lord Nelson" in Cape Town in November. 

We had a very good guide and stopped at 2 nice venues for essentially photo ops before going to Reid's. Very nice, short tour of Reid's gardens BUT the actual tea: was held in attractive room with only half the set tables used for Regent group (the rest of the large room wasn't used by anyone during our time - about 1 hour); finger food was already on the tables; tea pots took about 10 to 15 minutes to be served and the scones/cream didn't arrive until about 10 minutes after the tea arrival then we were herded to the bus about 10 minutes later. It was Good Friday afternoon. Several venues were closed so many were disappointed with their excursions.

• 1 month later...