Dining attire

naras15

9 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I dont believe he even owns a jacket..I know he does not have a tie..

I didnt think I owned a jacket either but I came across one in a cupboard a few weeks back. I've certainly not worn it since I retired (20 years this coming September). And, no, it doesnt come close to fitting me now. 😀

Got a black tie - for the occasional traditional funeral.

FWIW, we first cruised in the late 1990s, on P & O, but after three cruises fell out of favour with all the formality. We did one casual cruise on the shortlived Island Escape, which we didnt really enjoy. And that was us done with cruising we thought. Then somehow, we discovered Oceania and realised that it was possible to find good quality (particularly the food) in a relaxed atmosphere. That matched our restaurant eating onshore - I won't go to places that require jackets (I waited nearly 20 years for one Michelin 2* place in London to relax its dress code). Fortunately, they are very few and far between in the UK now and, in truth , I think I've come across "jackets required" more often in the States

Edited by Harters

Since I am a permanent traveller, I do not travel with black leather shoes. I will have long sleeve shirts and a dark blue pant but was wondering what is acceptable for shoes? I only have dark blue New Balance sport shoes with me. Could it be OK or should I buy something smarter before boarding the ship? 

5 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

I only have dark blue New Balance sport shoes with me. Could it be OK or should I buy something smarter before boarding the ship? 

Brooks makes a men's shoe called Glycerin 18 that weighs next to nothing, is available in solid black and will pass any but the closest inspection as an informal dress shoe.  I've worn them with sport coats and dressy slacks for years; never a problem and they're super comfortable.  (I could provide a link but I don't think that's allowed.  Just use your favorite search engine.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

Since I am a permanent traveller, I do not travel with black leather shoes. I will have long sleeve shirts and a dark blue pant but was wondering what is acceptable for shoes? I only have dark blue New Balance sport shoes with me. Could it be OK or should I buy something smarter before boarding the ship? 

Many men wear  a sneaker like walking shoe   similar to these

Leather 928v3

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Major DITTO Jancruz1

Country Club Casual and not Pretentious! I am undergoing a major “Sport Coat or NO Sport Coat” packing decision as we prepare to head off to Rome in a couple of weeks for the Founder’s Cruise. We are really getting excited and feeling giddy about being able to share the cruise with FDR and others from Oceania AND OUR OCEANIA FAMILY. 
Mauibabes

Travelling (especially trans-Atlantic) is easier wearing a blazer - the pockets are helpful for documents, etc., no packing concerns, and you have it to wear on board if so inclined.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Many men wear  a sneaker like walking shoe   similar to these

Leather 928v3

The shoes above are what my spouse wears, but I've been eyeing slip-ons...currently this style is winning (probably black) is below, although he likes deck shoes too...so, uber-formal or casual? I hate shopping so who knows if he'll every wear anything other than black leather tennies.
c299b432-b8ce-4bbf-af81-6771fecfad59.jpe

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2023 at 4:23 AM, SSCAF001 said:

Out of curiosity, what is a permanent traveller?

On 4/25/2023 at 11:59 AM, CruisinShips said:

I am thinking dress is typically more casual on Caribbean cruises than on European itineraries. I am a 62 year old man who enjoys going to nice restaurants, and I almost never wear anything except nice jeans and a long sleeve shirt.  I never feel underdressed.  Maybe it's a generational thing.

It's funny, this is an age old discussion on all of the various CC cruise line forums.  I've always seen people who are adamant about what should (or should not) be acceptable....and then when I am actually on the cruise, it seems nearly anything goes and no one seems to care.

I completely agree with everything you have said, particularly about nice jeans. That is also what I usually wear when dining in fine restaurants from New Orleans to wherever. Jeans seem to be a South thing though. In other parts of the country and the world, jeans seem to be looked down on as low class. Is what it is. Think the tide may be changing though. 

12 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

Out of curiosity, what is a permanent traveller?

I have quit my job aged 51 after almost 35 years of very hard work for my studies and my professional life. Then I have decided to spend some years as permanent traveler which means I have put a tenant in my home in Switzerland and I travel full time. Once or twice a year I come back to Europe to visit friends and relatives but I do not have a home anymore. I still have a mail address to receive some paper mail and for tax reasons but for the rest I just have my luggage and my passport and I am away from home 365 (or 366) days a year! Thus the reason for my question regarding the shoes. Cheers from Australia 🇦🇺 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SSCAF001 said:

have decided to spend some years as permanent traveler

I recently came across a guy on a Tripadvisor forum who was doing similar. He was still working but the nature of it was that it was all web based, so could be done anywhere. His query to that forum was trying to find an apartment with good broadband.

30 minutes ago, Harters said:

I recently came across a guy on a Tripadvisor forum who was doing similar. He was still working but the nature of it was that it was all web based, so could be done anywhere. His query to that forum was trying to find an apartment with good broadband.

The good news for me is that I do not need to work anymore 😀

19 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

The good news for me is that I do not need to work anymore

Yep, I was also able to finish work when I was 53. Nearly 20 years on, there's never been a regret.

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

In other parts of the country and the world, jeans seem to be looked down on as low class. Is what it is. Think the tide may be changing though. 

Actually, I think it's moved past changing and has already changed.  When travelling through Europe, I find that a large number of restaurant patrons are wearing jeans.  Even in Michelin-starred restaurants, it seems that at least half the people are wearing some form of jeans.  (Regardless of whether I'm wearing jeans or slacks, I still wear a sport coat and a button-down dress shirt.)  In the US, it seems that there are still some restaurants that are desperately holding on to "everything goes...except jeans."  I remember being in one, no-jeans place and someone was wearing horrible looking polyester slacks and a T-shirt with paint stains - but he was okay because he wasn't wearing jeans. 

Basically(I'm sure not to be the only one opining) The schtick is "Country Club Casual" Pretty much this means Nice pants(avoid the jeans if possible. If not make sure they are neat) Nice pressed Docker type Khakis are fine with decent shoes. We do Sperry Topsider types.Nice shirts. these can be Hawaiian(I like Tommy Bahama as they don't look like the cheapo Walmart stuff) Polo style such as Ralph Lauren. If you like long sleeve is fine. Many pack a sport coat. It's not required but quite a few men wear them in the specialty rest.On our Jan. cruise on Riviera we were surprised how many men wore suits. It was our 4th O cruise & pax for the most part really went all out. No idea why.It runs warm on Riviera so suits would be too warm for us.

A good idea is to check youtube videos on O ships. They will give you an idea of dress. Ignore "Cruise Line" based videos. You want to see home made videos.Shorts are NOT permitted at night in restaurants except Terrace. Do try Terrace at least once. The food can really surprise you in its quality.Simply dress as you would going out to a nice restaurant(but not like you're entertaining business clients)

On 4/26/2023 at 5:12 AM, WayneLaR said:

If they are monochrome without easily discernible logos or markings, you'll probably be alright.

As per Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption, "how often do you really look at a man's shoes?"

This is a bit off topic, but fun. Next time you see one of those panhandlers at a street corner. Look at the shoes.I've seen some who had shoes that were designer. Saw this one guy who had a Klein for his bicycle. I mean seriously a Klein?

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2023 at 11:27 PM, mauibabes said:

Major DITTO Jancruz1

Country Club Casual and not Pretentious! I am undergoing a major “Sport Coat or NO Sport Coat” packing decision as we prepare to head off to Rome in a couple of weeks for the Founder’s Cruise. We are really getting excited and feeling giddy about being able to share the cruise with FDR and others from Oceania AND OUR OCEANIA FAMILY. 
Mauibabes

Curious, is FDR, Jr. also going?

Why would he not, he is the CEO of Oceania Cruises and Vista is his new ship. I did learn that Frank will be holding some VIP activities on the Founder’s Cruise. Definitely looking forward to meeting him at the M&G and any other Oceania executives who will be on board. We are ready to sail on Vista 👍🙏😇🛳️

Mauibabes

• Like 1

So designer jeans START at $100 and often have premade rips/holes for fashion purposes, but some here would say they’re not nice enough for dining.  Khaki’s and chino type pants can be had $25 at Kohl’s…and they look it imo.  My “sandals” are $85 for the support they give me and I’m not getting uncomfortable cheap closed-toe shoes just for my dining room visits. I feel like it’s all in the eyes of the beholder. Jeans aren’t necessarily  sloppy or dirty.  I suspect age and/or location play a role in what one considers appropriate.

26 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

So designer jeans START at $100 and often have premade rips/holes for fashion purposes, but some here would say they’re not nice enough for dining.  Khaki’s and chino type pants can be had $25 at Kohl’s…and they look it imo.  My “sandals” are $85 for the support they give me and I’m not getting uncomfortable cheap closed-toe shoes just for my dining room visits. I feel like it’s all in the eyes of the beholder. Jeans aren’t necessarily  sloppy or dirty.  I suspect age and/or location play a role in what one considers appropriate.

Some  designer jeans makes the person look like  they may be homeless 

I have  nice jeans that are also over $100  but  they do not look like something from the garbage bin or rag bag

If your  sandals   are not beach type footwear   they will be fine

Yes the eye is certainly in the beholder  😄