Laundry options on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam

jennaja

The fill the bag price seems to fluctuate between $20 and $30 per bag. Last fall on NA it was $30 in Alaska and 3 weeks later on Rotterdam it was $20.  Check the current pricing when you board.  Either way it's a great option!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

We will be sailing on the Eurodam next month. How quickly is the laundry returned? I am considering the Unlimited option. I didn't even know the fill the bag was an option. Does HAL run a special for the bag?

44 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

We will be sailing on the Eurodam next month. How quickly is the laundry returned? I am considering the Unlimited option. I didn't even know the fill the bag was an option. Does HAL run a special for the bag?

There's a bag with a price sheet in the cabin.  You either check off what you're sending out, or just stuff the bag and check the "fill the bag" price.  It was $30 on Oosterdam recently.  I had my laundry back the next day.  I didn't take the Unlimited option.  I had a cruise buddy who was 4 star hence free laundry, and she was sending stuff out every other day, it seemed like.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

There's a bag with a price sheet in the cabin.  You either check off what you're sending out, or just stuff the bag and check the "fill the bag" price.  It was $30 on Oosterdam recently.  I had my laundry back the next day.  I didn't take the Unlimited option.  I had a cruise buddy who was 4 star hence free laundry, and she was sending stuff out every other day, it seemed like.

Intersting. When you do the "fill the bag price", do you just put your items in there without tallying the types of clothes your are sending? I always use the sheet to keep track of the items I expect to receive back. 

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

Intersting. When you do the "fill the bag price", do you just put your items in there without tallying the types of clothes your are sending? I always use the sheet to keep track of the items I expect to receive back. 

I was just sending out undewear and a couple of polo shirts so just stuffed it all in the bag without itemization.  It all came back clean and folded.  Perhaps I'd have done a tally if it was anything more important than skivvies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nola26 said:

It is my experience that laundry picked up by your Room Steward while you are at dinner will be returned the next morning.  Laundry picked up by your Room Steward in the morning will be returned the next morning.  There is a chance that it might be returned that same evening.

Your laundry list and bag will be on a pants hanger in your closet.  You will get a new laundry bag and list with your returned laundry.  I would recommend you ask your Room Steward for some extra bags and lists to have the next bag ready.

The price for a full bag is not discounted.

The unlimited laundry package means packing less and having fresh clothing every day.  Within the first two cruise days, all of your luggage-wrinkled clothing is refreshed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sallywallygal said:

We will be on Nieuw Statendam in July. If the price for the 14-day cruise for unlimited laundry is $119, may I assume the price for a 7-day cruise would be roughly half that?   

Yes.  The price has been $7/day for unlimited but some have reported a slight increase lately.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Crew News said:

It is my experience that laundry picked up by your Room Steward while you are at dinner will be returned the next morning.  Laundry picked up by your Room Steward in the morning will be returned the next morning.  There is a chance that it might be returned that same evening.

Your laundry list and bag will be on a pants hanger in your closet.  You will get a new laundry bag and list with your returned laundry.  I would recommend you ask your Room Steward for some extra bags and lists to have the next bag ready.

The price for a full bag is not discounted.

The unlimited laundry package means packing less and having fresh clothing every day.  Within the first two cruise days, all of your luggage-wrinkled clothing is refreshed.

We have done this on 2 cruises so far.  Such a luxury to be able to pack less for the trip, and to go home with minimal laundry to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seaoma said:

you should still use the sheet - fill it out as normal but just ignore the prices and state you are "filling a bag".  I always keep a copy just to remember what I sent out.  Have never been missing anything yet, happily.

10 minutes ago, Moriah said:

you should still use the sheet - fill it out as normal but just ignore the prices and state you are "filling a bag".  I always keep a copy just to remember what I sent out.  Have never been missing anything yet, happily.

I do use the form and keep the bottom copy. I had just never thought to fill out the form with name and cabin number, then check “By the bag” and let it go. 

I can usually stuff my bag with a ton of items and I always tally how many of what clothing I’ve sent to them.

It had never occurred to me to skip the tally of items and I found it interesting to contemplate. Do most people do it this way?

50 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If you do the package, what you do is pack all your dirty laundry from home, and take advantage of the service immediately!  🤣

I do pack my husbands Tommy Bahama  shirts that I absolutely hate to iron. 

• Thanks 1

We have found it best record sent laundry items on the laundry form when sending laundry out.  We are currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam and had an incident where my walking shorts went missing.  When the laundry captain quickly came to our cabin to investigate it was noted that someone had altered our submitted laundry list with two shorts sent to one short sent on the laundry list received by the laundry.  The laundry captain personally delivered my shorts the next afternoon.  We appreciated the quick personal service.

On an earlier trip my wife had a web belt missing from her laundered shorts.  Again the item marked on the laundry sheet was quickly found and returned.     

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PalmSprings said:

I just checked my onboard statement and the bag I sent 2 days ago (all laundered perfectly, btw) cost $25.

That's good.  What ship and itinerary are you on?  Thanks for the info!

~Nancy

I almost always visit the embarkation port for at least two days before a cruise and also stay at disembarkation port after (time depends on port).  I can put all the dirty clothes from the pre cruise stay in for cleaning the evening of boarding the ship and get them back the next day.  I also wash at the end even if I'm going straight home.

Remember that the cut off time for laundry is about 48 hours before disembarkation.  If you have unlimited you pay for all days even though the last day can't be used.  It's still a good deal especially if you have more than one person in the cabin.  

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1