Quantum no longer stopping in Skagway?

RCL will have to announce soon, as Quantum is scheduled for Alaska runs outs of Seattle in a week or two.

Think here will be a replacement port? I hope so, as I consider Alaska a port stop cruise, not interested in pure sea days.

Maybe Icy straight point or Ketchikan.  Been to both but Icy straight is not much at all.

Eddie

4 minutes ago, ukbballfan said:

Looking like Sitka.

Our Quantum cruise on the 22nd already goes to Sitka. I know things were iffy, but when I saw that we were docking in the aft berth I thought we were good to go. I'm bummed, hopefully they can add a port, otherwise with the late call in Victoria it will be more like having 4 sea days.

Edited by woostercruise

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

Unfortunately that hasn't been updated since February, We booked our Skagway tour through RCCL as I knew there was the possibility of issues and if we ended up tendering then we would have priority by booking through them. I called the independent tour operator I am using in Juneau and they confirmed that this was announced on Friday. Obviously not official until we hear from Royal, I'm just hoping they tell us soon instead of waiting until we are on the ship in 3 weeks.

This showed up in social media posts a day or two ago.  All subsequent posts asking for a link to the announcement were ignored. That post also showed a supposed messenger exchange with the mayor of Skagway confirming its validity.

Several of us went to the 'Explore Skagway Alaska' website with the identical logo as the OP announcement and there was no mention of Quantum not coming.  The link from that site to arrivals & departures still show Quantum on Thursdays.

Perhaps this is true, but it seems unlikely.  The first Quantum stop in Skagway is 2 weeks away and the app still show them stopping and selling Skagway excursions.  

Cruise Timetables is usually a pretty accurate website for cruise ships in ports. Here's the specific page for Skagway, select the date you're supposed to be there to see if Quantum is listed.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/skagway-alaska-cruise-ship-schedule.html

Quantum IS listed for May 9th so it's still listed as having calls there. The two other ships in port that day are relatively small so I would suspect the Brilliance OTS will be at the smaller dock and the Crown Princess would be at the forward end of the main pier with Quantum behind her.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/skagwayalaskaschedule-09may2024.html

Edited by CruisingWalter

17 hours ago, WorkingForOBC said:

Do you have the link to this announcement?

The grammar: "Monday's," "Thursday's" and the fact that NCL doesn't have a "Majestic" leaves me with some questions.

I agree, the grammar is suspect on multiple levels. 

The Majestic appears to be a Princess ship.

Edited by stompnizzles

Quantum departs Vancouver on 5/9 for AK (I'm on it -- yay!).  Ports are Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, Victoria and ends in Seattle.  That hasn't changed -- it's been the itinerary since I orginally booked it quite a while ago.

We were in Skagway last week on Brilliance and there was no issue with a docking pier.
The result of the landslide can be seen on the other side of the harbor.
The White Pass railway was amazing in the deep snow and the howling wind when going ashore was real Alaska. 
I hope you enjoy your Alaska cruise as much as we did.

On 5/1/2023 at 9:34 PM, scoodogg said:

Could those of us with Sitka already on the schedule be looking at adding Icy Strait Point?

ISP is a poor substitution. There really isn’t much there. We called at ISP on the Quantum last year. We ended up paying $45 pp to go up to the top of the mountain, which had not been developed yet. And stayed there because there was a cell tower (unlike the dock). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, theflight74 said:

We were in Skagway last week on Brilliance and there was no issue with a docking pier.
The result of the landslide can be seen on the other side of the harbor.
The White Pass railway was amazing in the deep snow and the howling wind when going ashore was real Alaska. 
I hope you enjoy your Alaska cruise as much as we did.

Brilliance docks at a different pier than Quantum. Quantum docks at the railroad dock aft which is directly below where the rock slides have been. The aft berth can be used but the passengers have to walk the forward part of the pier where the slide hit. Passengers were tendered later in the season last year but it is a slow process. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

ISP is a poor substitution. There really isn’t much there. We called at ISP on the Quantum last year. We ended up paying $45 pp to go up to the top of the mountain, which had not been developed yet. And stayed there because there was a cell tower (unlike the dock). 

To each his own.....I hear the whale watching is excellent, I very much enjoyed my kayak tour, the donuts are amazing, the walk into town was pleasant, the folks in Hoonah were great (as was the totem carver), the meal at the Fisherman's Daughter was the BEST I had the whole cruise, I got a bonus Dole Whip on the walk back, I enjoyed the tribal dance presentation and it helped me learn more about the local culture, the cannery exhibit was interesting, and the shops had some of the best USEFUL things out of all the shops I visited on the whole cruise.....it was a short port stop, 6:30 (or so) to 3:30 (or so), but we had a lot to do and enjoyed ourselves very much....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kathscof said:

To each his own.....I hear the whale watching is excellent, I very much enjoyed my kayak tour, the donuts are amazing, the walk into town was pleasant, the folks in Hoonah were great (as was the totem carver), the meal at the Fisherman's Daughter was the BEST I had the whole cruise, I got a bonus Dole Whip on the walk back, I enjoyed the tribal dance presentation and it helped me learn more about the local culture, the cannery exhibit was interesting, and the shops had some of the best USEFUL things out of all the shops I visited on the whole cruise.....it was a short port stop, 6:30 (or so) to 3:30 (or so), but we had a lot to do and enjoyed ourselves very much....

We love ISP.  We always go whale watching with Glacier Wind Charters and then walk back into town from our tour.  It is so peaceful there and love sitting on the bench and watching the water and if we are lucky, seeing whales.  We are also fans of the Fisherman's Daughter. 

Edited by Italy52
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We love ISP.  We always go whale watching with Glacier Wind Charters and then walk back into town from our tour.  It is so peaceful there and love sitting on the bench and watching the water and if we are lucky, seeing whales.  We are also fans of the Fisherman's Daughter. 

I'm sure it's very nice. Never been.  However on the Quantum, we already have whale watching and the Mendenhall glacier in Juneau.  Whale watching, as cool as it is, would be a repeat.  Skagway is unique for us with the White Pass Train.  That port was a "must do" when we chose this itinerary.  Hopefully we (and others on the Quantum) will be there as planned.