What's the 1 thing you have to eat in the Carnivals main dining room at least once while on your cruise if offered?

Thad409

On 5/18/2023 at 4:55 PM, steveknj said:

Here too, that's what I was going to type.   And it's GF so it's my daughter's favorite too.  On the CCL cruise we took with her, she had it EVERY night.

It’s gluten free?? I wish I had known that 😔

• Like 1

The Roasted Wild Mushroom Bisque is my absolute favorite. I even got the recipe while I was on the ship. I have never made it though. The recipe makes 100 portions so I would have to figure out how to significantly cut it down!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ruru107 said:

You can order it gluten free, but the usual version is NOT gluten free.  The GF version is not quite the same although close.  As GF desserts go though, it is a very good option.

The Indian vegetarian changes every day, I usually get it 4 or 5 times on a 7 day cruise.  Its fun because you get three or four dishes.  Sometimes one is just ok (like bhindi), but the others are very, very good.  It is always excellent as most of the chefs are Indian.  On my last cruise one of the dishes on the second to the last night was tiny potatoes in a yellow spicy sauce.  It was amazing.  I asked the waiter to find out what it was called.  The next night the chef himself came to our table, thanked me, and told me that it was a recipe he had invented based on something his mother made him when he was a child.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Chief93 said:

The Indian vegetarian changes every day, I usually get it 4 or 5 times on a 7 day cruise.  Its fun because you get three or four dishes.  Sometimes one is just ok (like bhindi), but the others are very, very good.  It is always excellent as most of the chefs are Indian.  On my last cruise one of the dishes on the second to the last night was tiny potatoes in a yellow spicy sauce.  It was amazing.  I asked the waiter to find out what it was called.  The next night the chef himself came to our table, thanked me, and told me that it was a recipe he had invented based on something his mother made him when he was a child.  

Really?  I have ordered it at least a half-dozen times on different ships and it has been the same dishes every time.  I don't mind because it has been really good.

12 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Really?  I have ordered it at least a half-dozen times on different ships and it has been the same dishes every time.  I don't mind because it has been really good.

I noticed on the Glory two weeks ago that the description was the same every night.  I do want to try this on our next cruise.

13 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Yes.  The daal was the same every time, but there was always something different.  

On a side note, I was told that I had to be a vegetarian, or die.  I can have eggs and dairy and fish and most shellfish.  Indian food ( and Thai) saved my life.  Only they can make a plate of vegetables feel like a meal.

• Thanks 1

I get Shrimp Cocktail every day from MDR cause I like the shrimp cocktails with the smaller shrimp. I do NOT like the steakhouse's jumbo shrimp cocktail! 

But the one thing that I really will ALWAYS suggest to people are the Strawberry Bisque - it's SO good. 

• Like 1

Braised short ribs

Escargot

Frog Legs

Lobster

Baked Alaska

Alligator Beignets

Oysters -- Rockefeller or Fried or Raw... whichever.

Beef Wellington

Veal Cutlets

Crab Cakes

If I have room:  Crème Brûlée, Bitter n Blanc, Grand Marier Soufflé, and French Onion Soup, Banana Split.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 6:31 PM, ruru107 said:

Yes.  We took my daughter on a CCL ship and she ate it every night.  They had something similar on NCL, and she ate it and got REALLY sick.  We assumed it was GF on NCL but it wasn't.

I have never ordered the New England clam chowder myself, but on my last cruise, I tried my companion’s and it was delicious!  I will order it myself, going forward!

Otherwise, I agree with a lot of what has been said.  Escargots, Indian Vegetarian, Bitter & Blanc, Grand Marnier Soufflé…. I will also say the salmon entrée available every day is usually quite good!

Favs are:  the mussels, crab cake, short ribs (definitely), chocolate penna cotta (delicious beyond words so I search for it on the Hub menus), the root vegetable pie/tart (I search this entree, too), and the cold soups (appetizer or dessert).  I try to eat 1-2 vegetarian dinners each week, so I really enjoy the root vegetable pie/tart.  I tried the Indian vegetarian dish in January when we sailed on the Panorama, but it was too spicy for me.  We enjoy eating in the MDR and find a great variety of delicious choices.